Cutting Fred With Dignity

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills do that Bill Belichick and the Pats* will snatch him up in a second. Playing the Pats* is hard enough without Fred grinding first downs out with the clock expiring. I know Fred's time will come I just think it's after this year or next.

I know its a business, but I would be surprised if Fred signs with the patriots after all these years. Any other team fine, but I would lose some respect for the guy if he willingly signed with the pats after his long tenure here.

Imagine if he did then won a SB... I would be numb... I think it would be hollow for Fred.. But I guess it wouldn't be much different than Revis last year... just thinking outloud.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

Great career for the Bills. If he is cut, the world will go on.

If the cost of the Bills getting better is cutting Fred, then I would personally do it myself.

That is how I feel about it.

Edited by CountDorkula

You don't cut him based on who was drafted/traded for or brought in. You cut him if he isn't beating out his competition. Period.

That's kind of backwards how the NFL works. Players are cut all the time from every team because you bring in cheaper, younger talent.

That's kind of backwards how the NFL works. Players are cut all the time from every team because you bring in cheaper, younger talent.

My point is, if that's the case, if the younger, cheaper talent performs better then yes it's time to let him go. But to just cut him because we want to get younger and cheaper but he can still perform better than that other talent, it's a bad move and it completely goes against the plan to get players to retire as Bills. You think guys like Kyle and Mario aren't watching this to see how it's handled? They made it public that they want guys to retire wearing this uniform. To take the unquestioned leader of this franchise and cut him while he can still perform is something that won't be looked upon in a good light.

My point is, if that's the case, if the younger, cheaper talent performs better then yes it's time to let him go. But to just cut him because we want to get younger and cheaper but he can still perform better than that other talent, it's a bad move and it completely goes against the plan to get players to retire as Bills. You think guys like Kyle and Mario aren't watching this to see how it's handled? They made it public that they want guys to retire wearing this uniform. To take the unquestioned leader of this franchise and cut him while he can still perform is something that won't be looked upon in a good light.

I think you might be overrating the significance just a bit. This is not Thurman or Bruce here. Fred has had a nice career here. If Buffalo does cut Fred, I wont blink an eye. Fred is going to slow down some. How much is remained to be seen.

I think you might be overrating the significance just a bit. This is not Thurman or Bruce here. Fred has had a nice career here. If Buffalo does cut Fred, I wont blink an eye. Fred is going to slow down some. How much is remained to be seen.

Until he slows down until he is not one of the top 3 or 4 backs (depending on how many they keep), he stays. You don't cut a guy, players see that and it impacts their view of their employer. So the whole idea the organization has of getting top talent and loyal players to retire a Bill won't happen because face it, FJ has earned the respect of that locker room, the fan base and the organization. if they cut him just because, then players will see zero loyalty from their team and they won't want to be here/stay here/sign here.

It's not overrating, you don't cut a guy unless he is no longer of ANY value to your team. he isn't at that point and he's been a loyal solider his entire Bills career.

Until he slows down until he is not one of the top 3 or 4 backs (depending on how many they keep), he stays. You don't cut a guy, players see that and it impacts their view of their employer. So the whole idea the organization has of getting top talent and loyal players to retire a Bill won't happen because face it, FJ has earned the respect of that locker room, the fan base and the organization. if they cut him just because, then players will see zero loyalty from their team and they won't want to be here/stay here/sign here.

It's not overrating, you don't cut a guy unless he is no longer of ANY value to your team. he isn't at that point and he's been a loyal solider his entire Bills career.

Have you seen the NFL lately, players much better than Fred are cut/traded yearly. Why should the Bills be any different? Are players no longer going to sign in NO because they "disrespected" Grahm. The Patriots? The Steelers?

I understand people like Fred a lot, I do too, he is a good player. If the difference between the playoffs is Fred or no Fred, again I know my decision.

Have you seen the NFL lately, players much better than Fred are cut/traded yearly. Why should the Bills be any different? Are players no longer going to sign in NO because they "disrespected" Grahm. The Patriots? The Steelers?

I understand people like Fred a lot, I do too, he is a good player. If the difference between the playoffs is Fred or no Fred, again I know my decision.

Because he has 1 year on his contract, and he has deep roots within the community and the team. He still produces, and out produces all of the RB's that were on the team last year. He led the team in first downs, and his second effort are likely one of the reasons we went 9-7 (We know for sure in 1 game at the very least) There is no valid reason to cut him. Until we go to training camp and Bryce Brown, Karlos Williams, or Boobie Dixon perform demonstrably better, why would you cut him? You need to have a better reason besides saying "he is old". Yes he is old, but he still performs, and he still has a major presence in the locker room. If you honor the end of a players contract that may push another player to consider signing long term as well. I know it's business, but cutting a team leader to save cap for the sake of saving cap would be pretty disrespectful to me if I was a player watching the situation unfold. Show me (or his teammates) a player Whaley and co aren't signing because of Fred Jackson, and maybe they will see the light, but at this point people are arguing to cut him simply to cut him and it is absurd.

To summarize, show people a valid reason for cutting him, and people may understand. But at this point the argument is to cut him because "it"s time" and thats BS in my opinion.

Edited by What a Tuel

I understand your point and I don't disagree at all; Fred is a great guy and a person I'm proud to root for but the Bills need to put the best team on the field. However loyalty is a two way street to anyone who is okay with the Bills cutting Fred can't complain when the player or coach does the same thing. When Marrone did what he thought was best for him and opted out of his contract you would have thought he joined ISIS. To be fair you have to be consistent (I'm not lecturing you Count Dorkula, I have no idea what you said or wrote about Marrone I a speaking in general terms).

Because he has 1 year on his contract, and he has deep roots within the community and the team. He still produces, and out produces all of the RB's that were on the team last year. He led the team in first downs, and his second effort are likely one of the reasons we went 9-7 (We know for sure in 1 game at the very least) There is no valid reason to cut him. Until we go to training camp and Bryce Brown, Karlos Williams, or Boobie Dixon perform demonstrably better, why would you cut him? You need to have a better reason besides saying "he is old". Yes he is old, but he still performs, and he still has a major presence in the locker room. If you honor the end of a players contract that may push another player to consider signing long term as well. I know it's business, but cutting a team leader to save cap for the sake of saving cap would be pretty disrespectful to me if I was a player watching the situation unfold. Show me (or his teammates) a player Whaley and co aren't signing because of Fred Jackson, and maybe they will see the light, but at this point people are arguing to cut him simply to cut him and it is absurd.

To summarize, show people a valid reason for cutting him, and people may understand. But at this point the argument is to cut him because "it"s time" and thats BS in my opinion.

I am not saying "Just please cut Fred" If he can still play, sure keep him. If he is not the best backup for the team, to me you cut him, no questions asked. I guess I get the FJ has been an ambassador thing and a great person, but to me it does not hold as much weight as on the field play.

What I don't want happening is Fred taking away carries from McCoy, and or others because of what Fred has meant in the past.

Edited by CountDorkula

I am not saying "Just please cut Fred" If he can still play, sure keep him. If he is not the best backup for the team, to me you cut him, no questions asked. I guess I get the FJ has been an ambassador thing and a great person, but to me it does not hold as much weight as on the field play.

What I don't want happening is Fred taking away carries from McCoy, and or others because of what Fred has meant in the past.

I get your point(bolded) and wasn't referring to that. If he doesn't measure up performance wise sure it's time to go. However as you mentioned above with teams like NO, the *pats and the Steelers is the fact they aren't the Bills. The Bills are not a super attractive destination for FA's to come here. Yes we get some, but the high end guys aren't clamoring to come to Buffalo. So the FO needs to take a close look at how they handle FJ because handling it wrong can just further add to the problem down the road of getting players wanting to come to Buffalo. FJ has done everything right for this organization and he deserves the same from the FO. If his talent drops off that much, sure it's time to go. But if he can still help and contribute to this team winning games, then he stays. Loyalty is a two way street. FJ has shown his, the Bills need to do the same with him.

I think we're mostly on the same page.

I know its a business, but I would be surprised if Fred signs with the patriots after all these years. Any other team fine, but I would lose some respect for the guy if he willingly signed with the pats after his long tenure here.

Imagine if he did then won a SB... I would be numb... I think it would be hollow for Fred.. But I guess it wouldn't be much different than Revis last year... just thinking outloud.

Not me, I'd still be grateful for his time here. Like I was with TT when he signed with the Dolphins. But man, it was weird to see him in that uni. It was downright dirty.

GO BILLS!!!

Fred Jackson is my favorite Bills player of all time because of how hard he fought for lousy teams and coaches with out ever complaining. That being said, the blind loyalty that borders on idolization of Freddy is hilarious. He was clearly a half step slower last year, as the oldest RB in the league, and they say that RB's production does not decline, it falls off a cliff. All reasoned people will agree that the cards are stacked against him making the team based on what happens between now and the end of training camp. I for one hope he hangs on to the number 4 spot.

While your mouth is running, don't forget Frank Reich! Fred can coach my running backs ANYTIME... A tremendous asset we should try keep in house... 16 years and counting, people.

And Fred has been here for half of it, maybe the losing-est RB in Bills history? Who says he has what it takes to be a coach? Who says he wants to?

Fred will prove to be the best back on the team again this year. It's what he does.

LOL. GET YOUR NOSE OUT HIS JOCK!!!

Until one of the other RBs proves they can pass block Freddy is going to continue to make the roster and see reps on third downs. If it was all about running ability CJ would still be here.

This is also an overlooked benefit of freddy.

Fred Jackson is my favorite Bills player of all time because of how hard he fought for lousy teams and coaches with out ever complaining. That being said, the blind loyalty that borders on idolization of Freddy is hilarious. He was clearly a half step slower last year, as the oldest RB in the league, and they say that RB's production does not decline, it falls off a cliff. All reasoned people will agree that the cards are stacked against him making the team based on what happens between now and the end of training camp. I for one hope he hangs on to the number 4 spot.

And Fred has been here for half of it, maybe the losing-est RB in Bills history? Who says he has what it takes to be a coach? Who says he wants to?

LOL. GET YOUR NOSE OUT HIS JOCK!!!

Fred Jackson had:

14 games - 1026 total yards and 3 tds in 2014

16 games - 1277 total yards and 10 tds in 2013

Some might see that as a regression. I think the red zone especially was more an indication of how awful and inept our offense was as a whole, and less a sign of Freddy regressing.

Edited by What a Tuel

This is also an overlooked benefit of freddy.

Fred Jackson had:

14 games - 1026 total yards and 3 tds in 2014

16 games - 1277 total yards and 10 tds in 2013

Some might see that as a regression. I think the red zone especially was more an indication of how awful and inept our offense was as a whole, and less a sign of Freddy regressing.

He caught the most passes and yards of his career, by a large margin. To me, the best and most consistent runner was Dixon.

If Jackson gets cut and only team offering him a contracts is Pats* you would lose respect for a player trying to keep playing and earning money?

Until one of the other RBs proves they can pass block Freddy is going to continue to make the roster and see reps on third downs. If it was all about running ability CJ would still be here.

SHADY is not coming out on third down for Fred. What a joke.

If Jackson gets cut and only team offering him a contracts is Pats* you would lose respect for a player trying to keep playing and earning money

I would find it really really upsetting. I would equate it to Favre going to the vikes, though freddy is no Favre.

If Jackson gets cut and only team offering him a contracts is Pats* you would lose respect for a player trying to keep playing and earning money?

I don't believe for a second only the Pats* would offer him a deal, but Bill would be the first to call. He loves him some Freddy.