RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

Odd pick. He looks like a Rex Ryan type cornerback - pretty strong in man coverage, can jam at the line, hits hard. But damn, even I can see his zone coverage is sloppy - he seems to have a tendency to get drawn out of position by a strong preference to play the ball rather than his assignment.

All in all, I see a vague resemblance to Revis in his play, but far too often overshadowed by an overwhelming resemblance to James Williams. I can understand why they picked him (if they can coach him properly, maybe he can be another Revis)...but he just looks like a 4th round selection to me.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure he steps in as nickel, Robey could be gone but I'm sure brooks is definitely a goner. He doesn't need to find the ball at nickel, just cover those quick, shifty a-holes like Edelman and he's good to go.

I believe Ryan sees him opposite Gilmore for the next 8-10 years. Island CB that QB's won't throw at. Sounds like another DB Ryan had in NY called Revis.

Hopefully he can be close to his ability.

Prove me wrong Ronald, but this is a classic stupid Bills pick. We keep investing high draft resources on DBs then let the ones who can play walk. Now we'll trade Leodis for a ham sandwich and continue to get our butts kicked with the DLines in our division.

who walked? Haventclet a cb go since what's his name went to minny, that was almost 15 years ago. Byrd wasn't a ham sandwich to keep and kinda sux so who've y talking about?

rex knows corners

we shall see about that wont we? Not being snarky.

I honestly dont know how good Rex and Thurman are. I know me some Donnie H. though and in him i trust for sure.

pick still seems out of the blue ish to me.

if thats the Whaley board then so be it ..

drafting for need gets you in trouble. Take the best player available.

Whaley said he was the best player available on their board. Darby said the talked to the Bills at the Combine and his pro day otherwise no contact. Not getting a good feeling on this pick. BTW, O-line is a much bigger need than CB for the Bills. This reminds me of the Spiller pick. I laughed.

Odd pick. He looks like a Rex Ryan type cornerback - pretty strong in man coverage, can jam at the line, hits hard. But damn, even I can see his zone coverage is sloppy - he seems to have a tendency to get drawn out of position by a strong preference to play the ball rather than his assignment.

All in all, I see a vague resemblance to Revis in his play, but far too often overshadowed by an overwhelming resemblance to James Williams. I can understand why they picked him (if they can coach him properly, maybe he can be another Revis)...but he just looks like a 4th round selection to me.

Our DBs are not going to be playing zone very much at all.

So people want BPA but only when it matches need. If the grade that they had on the guy was genuinely much higher than the grade they had on anyone else then they were right to pick him.

I'm still not a huge fan of the pick, but remember, they are putting grades on these guys for the Bills and the defense they play and the coaches we have. Darby was not rated as high on some lists because he looks weak at times in zone. But he won't play much zone. He's very good man to man. We would rate him a lot differently than other teams for what Rex likes.

There's a reason you haven't heard of this guy and that he doesn't have a great highlight reel. Teams do not throw in his direction. To me, that's a great sign for a CB. Let's give him a chance, could be a shut down level guy that went under the radar.

I'm speechless.

I could handle a DB pick. I just don't think Darby should have been the player.

That was my initial feeling as well. I expected a CB at either 50 or 81, but have mixed fellings about a guy whose toughness is a question mark.

His teammate P.J. Williams sounds more like the player I'd guess Rex would like...