Serious About Drafting Bryce Petty?

Rex got really sheepish when the Petty question was asked...totally out of character for him. It was like when your brother asked you about a girl you secretly liked a lot when you were in middle school. My read is they like him a lot....

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan was talking about EJ throwing yesterday. Compared to Cassel, who has played 11 years in the league, EJ wasn't getting the ball out as fast as Cassel was. He was throwing well, but Rex was pointing out they wanted him to get the ball out a split second earlier. Cassel was throwing before the WR broke, EJ was throwing as the WR broke. It was a day one observation that they wanted him to do it a couple tenths of a second earlier. There is zero chance that had anything to do with what they think of him as a QB or drafting Petty.

I think they think Petty is going to fall. To me there is also zero chance that after they are already done with their board, which they are, now is going to be the first time they really sat down with Petty outside of the combine. That makes no sense. If they are drafting him they have spoken to him several times.

Kelly....I really appreciate you defending of EJ because too many like to talk crap about him. He is a good kid and a hard worker......and he still might work out in this league and I hope he does

as a EJ supporter I am honestly worried that the same things keep getting brought up about him.......

IN MY OPINION

- I worry how people talk about him being slow throwing the ball......windows in the nfl open and close quickly......Cassell with a lot of experience but limited weapons SEES THOSE WINDOWS....he is throwing before WR's are open....EJ is not...and has not been which has been a resounding crit of him......now can this improve? I do root for this to be so....i do hope that EJ overcomes it

BUT

- Perhaps Rex isnt willing to wait....perhaps the fact that Cassell is getting the ball out on time and EJ is a split second late is a dooming thing to EJ.......and the bills have already stated that the do NOT have their franchise QB yet.

so the question....what do we do?

The bills might be looking to draft petty and stash him for a while while they transition him from the spread over to a pro style offense.....you can do that because the roster has two veteran QBs on it......a stacked defense......and lots of offensive weapons.

We might draft Petty and not hear a thing about him for 2 years with this team.

Kelly....I really appreciate you defending of EJ because too many like to talk crap about him. He is a good kid and a hard worker......and he still might work out in this league and I hope he does

as a EJ supporter I am honestly worried that the same things keep getting brought up about him.......

IN MY OPINION

- I worry how people talk about him being slow throwing the ball......windows in the nfl open and close quickly......Cassell with a lot of experience but limited weapons SEES THOSE WINDOWS....he is throwing before WR's are open....EJ is not...and has not been which has been a resounding crit of him......now can this improve? I do root for this to be so....i do hope that EJ overcomes it

BUT

- Perhaps Rex isnt willing to wait....perhaps the fact that Cassell is getting the ball out on time and EJ is a split second late is a dooming thing to EJ.......and the bills have already stated that the do NOT have their franchise QB yet.

so the question....what do we do?

The bills might be looking to draft petty and stash him for a while while they transition him from the spread over to a pro style offense.....you can do that because the roster has two veteran QBs on it......a stacked defense......and lots of offensive weapons.

All I am doing is trying to clear up misconceptions and offer opinions. I don't think EJ is going to be a franchise QB, I just think he has a chance. Less than 50-50 but a chance. I think Cassel starts the year.

I think it means they like him enough to actually give him a chance. I think drafting Petty spells doom for EJ as a Bill.

Or simply they are riding with ej until they aren't. Why not endorse your players until you have a replacement

IN MY OPINION

Yet wouldn't he have to be on the active roster, lest some team sweep in and sign him from the practice squad for literally nothing? I can't see them carrying four QB, so E.J would have to be the odd man out.

Yet wouldn't he have to be on the active roster, lest some team sweep in and sign him from the practice squad for literally nothing? I can't see them carrying four QB, so E.J would have to be the odd man out.

Yep, and EJ pretty much has to be traded if he were to go.

All I am doing is trying to clear up misconceptions and offer opinions. I don't think EJ is going to be a franchise QB, I just think he has a chance. Less than 50-50 but a chance. I think Cassel starts the year.

Agreed about Cassel starting, but who knows? If they don't draft a qb, maybe the light goes on for Manuel at some point. He now seems to me like the opposite of Winston (a better player at fsu than ej): winston threw to soon-to-be occupied spaces at fsu, and ej threw to (open) players. Big difference. Can ej become more like the former type of player and throw it accurately to boot? That is the ultimate question with him. We admire the deep ball and the occasional pass to an open receiver, but it's the other passes that are the issue. Those are the ones the good qbs can throw. Any qb with a good arm can hit receivers deep on occasion. That's not the issue. It's the other stuff.

Edited by dave mcbride

Good piece. Imteresting point here:

"Hundley will need even more time to develop and the probability of that happening is much lower than Petty’s chances. In his final two seasons at UCLA, Hundley completed 67.2% and 69.1% of his throws in a more complicated system than what Petty ran, but Hundley is more of an NFL longshot because he’s slow with everything. From his drop-back and scanning the field to his delivery, he simply takes too long—and his mechanics are sloppy and vary from snap to snap. You can be a lot of things at the next level, but being slow to identify targets and slow to deliver the ball is a recipe for disaster."

Food for thought.

I know teams like to overdraft QB's because of the position but in recent years QB's with questions in their game have dropped. I think Petty, although he's being hyped as the third best QB, will fall. Look who fell last year:

Manziel, almost fell out of the first rd, but he fell quite a few spots

Bridgewater, to an extent fell quite dramatically considering he was the consensus #1 QB

Mettenberger, fell from round 4-5 to round 6

AJ McCarron, fell from round 2 to round 5

Derek Carr, again not a huge fall, a lot had him going in the 1st but ended up in the 2nd.

I completely agree with what John Murphy predicted last night. The Bills have gone through all this to entice those teams interested in Bryce Petty to trade for #50. I just feel bad for Jim Kelly - he may not get to announce the Bills pick until late tomorrow night.

I completely agree with what John Murphy predicted last night. The Bills have gone through all this to entice those teams interested in Bryce Petty to trade for #50. I just feel bad for Jim Kelly - he may not get to announce the Bills pick until late tomorrow night.

A more sinister possibility is that somebody within the organization who does not like Petty and who does not want the team to select him leaked news of the visit to broadcast the interest in him.

I'm totally fine with them taking Petty if they evaluate him as someone who can be a potential franchise QB. I don't know what will happen with the other QBs but you have to keep trying to find that guy. The draft is the best way imo. I think he would be given 1-2 years before he would be expected to play to develop for the pro game. If other teams are expected to take him in the 1st or 2nd, at least it's not just the Bills who view him as potential starter material.

I believed the smokescreen until Kirby said upthread he was at OBD yesterday and that was not reported. It was probably for a physical but I thought I read he already visited once.

I would be less excited about Hundley but would be just as happy with Greyson as Petty.

I'm totally fine with them taking Petty if they evaluate him as someone who can be a potential franchise QB. I don't know what will happen with the other QBs but you have to keep trying to find that guy. The draft is the best way imo. I think he would be given 1-2 years before he would be expected to play to develop for the pro game. If other teams are expected to take him in the 1st or 2nd, at least it's not just the Bills who view him as potential starter material.

I believed the smokescreen until Kirby said upthread he was at OBD yesterday and that was not reported. It was probably for a physical but I thought I read he already visited once.

I would be less excited about Hundley but would be just as happy with Greyson as Petty.

I'm conflicted with it, if the Bills choose to draft him with their pick at #50. It feels like a bit of an over draft IMO. They know he needs a good amount of work, considering he was in a 1 read offense where his coaches had to tell him where to go before the snap. It's risky and it sort of goes against the win now mentality that the Bills seem to have. They have holes at OT and need depth along the DL and at LB.

I understand he could be the future of the Bills but he just doesn't feel like a Russell WIlson or Colin Kaepernick. Maybe he's an Andy Dalton but what is that really getting you?

I'm conflicted with it, if the Bills choose to draft him with their pick at #50. It feels like a bit of an over draft IMO. They know he needs a good amount of work, considering he was in a 1 read offense where his coaches had to tell him where to go before the snap. It's risky and it sort of goes against the win now mentality that the Bills seem to have. They have holes at OT and need depth along the DL and at LB.

I understand he could be the future of the Bills but he just doesn't feel like a Russell WIlson or Colin Kaepernick. Maybe he's an Andy Dalton but what is that really getting you?

thats my initial thought too but they may be taking an OL in the 3rd and TE in the 5th. I would rather they just go with the guys they have and take a Qb next year but it depends on how much they like Petty and he would have been in the system/NFL coaching already for a year. I think it's an overdraft too but other teams have needs too and want to win now and are mocked to take him higher. To develop him. There are just so few guys who are coming out of college ready to start in the NFL and the ones that are are going to go higher than we we will hopefully ever be drafting. I guess the positive viewpoint for me is that the best way to find a QB is in the draft and develop him. If they like him, they should take him. Edited by YoloinOhio

Looks like 3 good QBs in next years 1st rd. I would go for one of them not a major project this draft.

Thats if EJ is not a starter by then.

that is kind of what I have been saying. I think at least 2 of the 3 are more pro ready,and Cardale is running that spread but his skill set would be nasty in this offense. I imagine Pegs might have some eyes for Hackenburg btw.

But, if they love one of these guys, it's the most important position on the team and I understand them taking the chance.

Edited by YoloinOhio

that is kind of what I have been saying. I think at least 2 of the 3 are more pro ready,and Cardale is running that spread but his skill set would be nasty in this offense. I imagine Pegs might have some eyes for Hackenburg btw.

But, if they love one of these guys, it's the most important position on the team and I understand them taking the chance.

I honestly don't think the Bills think they'll be drafting high enough to get one of the top qbs next year.

Sal and Paul Hamilton both said that they talked to some guys at OBD and think the Petty thing is a smokescreen at 50 but they might take him if he's there in the 3rd

Pretty much what I expected. I don't think a QB is realistically in play for us in the 2nd, but one of Petty/Grayson/Hundley in the 3rd may be too much value to pass up.

Wonder if they are hoping to get trade offers

i would think so. There are QB needy teams who won't have a crack at the top two or won't pay the price to move up. And by QB needy that includes teams like the jets and Rams who QBs to compete now for starter as well as the Broncos, Chargers, Saints who want to develop a guy to take over in due time.

Sal and Paul Hamilton both said that they talked to some guys at OBD and think the Petty thing is a smokescreen at 50 but they might take him if he's there in the 3rd

There is zero question it is a smokescreen. You never hear talk about the player being picked...especially when it is a qb. I have no idea what their plan is but no way in hell is Petty a part of it in the 2nd.

There is zero question it is a smokescreen. You never hear talk about the player being picked...especially when it is a qb. I have no idea what their plan is but no way in hell is Petty a part of it in the 2nd.

so crazy it just might work! Tell everyone what you want to do and theyll never believe it!

you can talk yourself into whatever you want to believe in the week before the draft. all im confident about is that it was no accident that its public.

so crazy it just might work! Tell everyone what you want to do and theyll never believe it!

you can talk yourself into whatever you want to believe in the week before the draft. all im confident about is that it was no accident that its public.

How does it benefit them to make it public if he is their choice?

To make people believe he's not their choice?

I can't imagine any team not trading ahead of Buffalo because they think the Bills may have leaked info that they were interested in him to make us not believe they were interested in him. The person that suggested that would probably be asked to leave the other teams war room.

How does it benefit them to make it public if he is their choice?

To make people believe he's not their choice?

I can't imagine any team not trading ahead of Buffalo because they think the Bills may have leaked info that they were interested in him to make us not believe they were interested in him. The person that suggested that would probably be asked to leave the other teams war room.

weve telegraphed plenty of things in the past, and i dont doubt some is so blatant to make people think we are playing games. "they wouldnt be so obvious" is surely a debate other teams are having right now. if you play the same hand the same way every time, theres no bluffing to be done. you have to have some unpredictability between your demeanor and your final actions or you actually do end up telegraphing what you are doing.

weve telegraphed plenty of things in the past, and i dont doubt some is so blatant to make people think we are playing games. "they wouldnt be so obvious" is surely a debate other teams are having right now. if you play the same hand the same way every time, theres no bluffing to be done. you have to have some unpredictability between your demeanor and your final actions or you actually do end up telegraphing what you are doing.

I understand and agree with that. And agree the "they wouldn't be so obvious" conversation is going on. My point is it's impossible to believe that a team really wants Petty, and they are even willing to trade up to 49 or earlier to get him, and they DON'T pull the trigger on it, leaving him for the Bills, because their reasoning is the Bills don't really want him, but acted like they really wanted him the last couple days. So we don't have to worry about them. And we can wait until after 50 to get him. If they want Petty they move up. If the Bills showed no interest maybe they don't.

The Bills are reportedly "serious" about Baylor QB Bryce Petty.

The Bills do not have a first-round pick as a result of last year's trade up for Sammy Watkins. That could cost them a shot at Petty, whose stock appears to be peaking with the draft just hours away. The Bills desperately need a talent infusion in their quarterback room as Matt Cassel and E.J. Manuel are currently set for an uninspiring camp battle.
Related: Bills

Idk if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
Edited by H2o

I wonder what the West Virginia game cost Bryce Petty, if at all. As pointed out in the Gruden show, he did not handle pressure...at all. A key attribute of an NFL QB is being able to handle physical pressure, actual bodily contact, while concetrating on progressions and delivering an accurate ball to a covered WR.

Petty is considered a project, I know, but would he be graded a half a round sooner if he didn't show this deficiency? Physically, he's got it. 6'3" 230 and a hell of an arm.

I wonder what the West Virginia game cost Bryce Petty, if at all. As pointed out in the Gruden show, he did not handle pressure...at all. A key attribute of an NFL QB is being able to handle physical pressure, actual bodily contact, while concetrating on progressions and delivering an accurate ball to a covered WR.

Petty is considered a project, I know, but would he be graded a half a round sooner if he didn't show this deficiency? Physically, he's got it. 6'3" 230 and a hell of an arm.

he is a developmental guy so wherever he goes that will be something that is coached. Many predict he will go to the Saints where he will learn behind Brees for 2-3 years. I actually think that's a great spot for him. He could do the same in Bflo but the pressure to play sooner would be there because of the lack of an established starter.

he is a developmental guy so wherever he goes that will be something that is coached. Many predict he will go to the Saints where he will learn behind Brees for 2-3 years. I actually think that's a great spot for him. He could do the same in Bflo but the pressure to play sooner would be there because of the lack of an established starter.

I don't think the Bills are going to draft him. But if they do, I would doubt he would play this year. I think Cassel and then Taylor would have to fail miserably and the season to be shot until Petty would play.

I don't think the Bills are going to draft him. But if they do, I would doubt he would play this year. I think Cassel and then Taylor would have to fail miserably and the season to be shot until Petty would play.

not that he's projected be as good but he would be in the "Aaron Rodgers" role in NO. In Bflo, we see what happens when projects are taken. They play too soon. Hopefully that's a thing of the past.

not that he's projected be as good but he would be in the "Aaron Rodgers" role in NO. In Bflo, we see what happens when projects are taken. They play too soon. Hopefully that's a thing of the past.

Right. Historically. In theory. But we have new people in charge. We have a veteran QB that we haven't had. We have a veteran back-up QB that the HC clearly loves that we haven't had. We have a win right now-game one-make the playoffs mentality that we haven't had. Bills history means zero in this case.