DJ Swearinger on the block; update-waived/claimed by TB

Any indication as to why? He's been a solid contributor to them since he was drafted in 2013.

my guess as an outsider (maybe someone who lives in houston knows more) is that safety is a hot commodity right now with several needy teamsand it is a bad safety draft.Houston might think they can get a haul.

my guess as an outsider (maybe someone who lives in houston knows more) is that safety is a hot commodity right now with several needy teamsand it is a bad safety draft.Houston might think they can get a haul.

I think you may be right Yolo. All indications I have are that the Texans like him.

Thanks, I was just a little confused as to why they would given that they just signed their proposed starter next to him in Rahim Moore. The depth behind the two is non-existent.

• 2 weeks later...

He wasn't that great last year, he graded out in the bottom 10 of 87 safteys according to PFF. Maybe he'd be a better fit in Ryan's system but I'd be cautious.

Perhaps he doesn't like being viewed as a "niche player"?

Again, I love this player. He was a beast in college and while he's struggled in the pros, he's very young. I'd salivate over having him learn under Rex Ryan and Donnie Henderson - I really hope this happens.

Agreed. He's an absolute enforcer as an in the box safety

He is subject to waivers....

A bunch of teams ahead of the Bills could put in a claim for him then.

Edit:

Still, the Jets had him in for a pre-draft meeting in 2013, so Rex must have liked him at the time:

http://nflspinzone.com/2013/03/27/jacksonville-jaguars-three-others-to-host-d-j-swearinger/

Even the Bills must have liked him, given the length of this interview with Chris Brown:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Draft-Profile-S-Swearinger-a-striker/6edd1c73-a0f7-4a51-96f2-5b83eb684795

Edited by Lurker

I've watched him since he entered the NFL and I think he's pretty good. He'd be a great addition to the bills. Kinda fits in with rex's style.

from what I understand he has a "personality" that may not fit in everywhere.

Sound familiar?

Miami is kinda desperate at safety though and are ahead of us...

Oh, this must be why: Pro Football Focus ranked him their No. 78 safety out of 87 eligible in 2014 and 71 out of 86 in 2013.

maybe could benefit from different scheme

I'm still confused about why they just released him like that. Is there something I missed?

bill O'Brien is a Marrone clone (no wonder they are best friends) and has control over 53. He didn't draft swearinger and he doesn't like him. Edited by YoloinOhio

Oh, this must be why: Pro Football Focus ranked him their No. 78 safety out of 87 eligible in 2014 and 71 out of 86 in 2013.

maybe could benefit from different scheme

Possibly. Low risk signing so it wouldn't cost much to see if he could be effective in a different system/atmosphere. Can someone refresh me on waivers? I understand how it works, but don't know if picking him up would guarantee any portion of his contract. Could he be picked up and cut without any cap ramifications?

@FieldYates: Source: 8 total teams put in a waiver claim on S D.J. Swearinger - TB, JAX, OAK, NYJ, ATL, BUF, PITT, BALT. Bucs had 1st priority.