Are you in favor of changing PAT rule?

PAT rule in flux   

128 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of changing PAT rule?

• Yes. It was implemented in 1912 and is a non-competitive play. 103 years is about time.
    • No. It's just change for the sake of change.
    • It depends on what the change actually ends up being.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you screw around with the extra point then you mess with a lot of statistics. Suddenly you won't be able to compare teams before and after the extra point change. I'm inclined to vote no, but I'll listen to any proposal.

My response isn't among the options. "Who gives a rat's patootie?"

Really, it they change it that's OK and teams will adjust. One option for the "play after touchdown" that I kinda liked was if a team is successful going for 2 they get a point after try from the 25. Would make for some interesting coaching.

It would be interesting because it would be a completely different sport. You agree with me though, right? He is crazy

I don't want a completely different sport in lieu of football. That's not interesting at all. I want football. Yes, he's insane.

Pete Carroll's idea sucks too. People don't want games decided by an extra point but they want one decided by an extra play from the 2?? Absurd.

If they want to just call a TD 7 points and do away with the PAT that would probably be the least awful change.

I voted yes...get rid of it....they should eliminate KO's too....start at the 20 yd line.....get rid of punts too....you can opt out of 4th down so the opponent starts on their 35......NO FG's allowed inside the 30....HA..I hate the kicking game!

This is a horrible idea. The game would lose so much.

I voted yes but I don't want the team who scores a TD given an automatic 7 points. Sports are always changing and the rules being tinkered with:

Baseball:

1925 - Minimum home run distance set at 250 ft

1969 - The pitchers mound was dropped 5 inches and the strike zone was shrunken to the area from the armpits to the top of the batter's knees.

1973 - American League starts using the DH

Basketball:

1979 - Three-point line is established

1994 - Three-point line is shortened to a uniform 22 ft

1997 - Three-point line is moved back to it's original length of 23 ft

I like what Rugby Union does, wherever they score the try (touchdown) in the endzone, they have to kick from there. So, if they score in the middle the kicker gets to kick in the middle of the field. But if they score near the sideline the kicker needs to kicker from the side at more of an angle, like this:

iok1lKVt1rS2x.gif

I voted no because I didn't want to abstain. I'd like to see them move it to the 1 yard line (there is a proposal on the table for the 1 1/2 yard line). I think that the 1 point should be virtually automatic but I think at the 1 you would see a lot more people going for 2 like Urban Meyer does.

I agree KJ. I'd love to encourage more going for two. It would make the game more exciting.

depending on the change

I read some BS article where is said the longer PAT would be a disadvantage to Cleveland (don't ask) and for some reason I have a move back to the 35 stuck in my head.

35 = PAT = ~50 yard kick. This move ONLY gives indoor games an advantage (which helps both teams). One might think that performing longer kicks would be the disadvantage to indoor teams as they are less practiced in the elements.

if any changed are made - narrower GP uprights and or make all PAT kicks from the 15 yard line not the 2.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The XP is currently a useless, boring play that is so easy that it doesn't qualify as football. Getting rid of it isn't overly complicating the rules; it would streamline them. I would never compare it with punts either because a) punts are often exciting plays and b) the exact results can never be predicted because they vary so much. The outcome of the XP is entirely predictable and virtually never in doubt. In sports in general, a point should never come so easily.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'm not a fan for change just for the sake of change but if the kick is getting too boring for some I like this idea:

Td = 6.

1 extra point awarded for crossing the endzone by pass or run from the 2 yard line ( just like a 2 point conversion now) and 1 point awarded for a defensive return.

Option to go for 2 points instead of the 1 by kicking a 50 yard fg.

I think the kick should be dispensed with entirely. For the XP, teams should convert the current 2 pt conversion. It'll be a lot tougher to get 7. If you want to still include a 2 pt conversion, make the starting point from the 7 and a half yard line.

Anything that reduces the involvement of place kickers - especially when they're kicking at a short range - is all to the good, in my opinion.

but, . . . but, . . . its FOOTball

depending on the change

I read some BS article where is said the longer PAT would be a disadvantage to Cleveland (don't ask) and for some reason I have a move back to the 35 stuck in my head.

35 = PAT = ~50 yard kick. This move ONLY gives indoor games an advantage (which helps both teams). One might think that performing longer kicks would be the disadvantage to indoor teams as they are less practiced in the elements.

if any changed are made - narrower GP uprights and or make all PAT kicks from the 15 yard line not the 2.

I saw that Cleveland thing too. Their argument was that with the game on the line it is much tougher to need an extra point in the wind and snow than in a climate controlled building. This is true but the same can be said for the team that you are playing against.