Are you in favor of changing PAT rule?

PAT rule in flux   

128 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of changing PAT rule?

• Yes. It was implemented in 1912 and is a non-competitive play. 103 years is about time.
    • No. It's just change for the sake of change.
    • It depends on what the change actually ends up being.

It's been done actually. The Raiders drafted Janikowski first overall years back. I agree with you. Too many kickers. I would actually get rid of kicking/punting all together. Make a TD worth 7 points. No field goals. You have to go for it on 4th down. If you don't convert, it gets turned over right there.

may as well rework how many points everythings worth.

I think we need to make kickers into real football players, not remove them. Find a way to make that one point less automatic.

I don't have the answer, but I don't want to see the return game totally go away.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get rid of the extra point KICK.....but keep everything else the same.

TD = 6

Option to take a free extra point(awarded to team, not TD scorers for historical stats comparisons)

or

Option to try for 2 pts from the 2.

I am surprised at the voting with so many people not wanting a change. The current PAT does nothing as it is missed so rarely. I would have guessed that option to be the lowest vote count but instead it is the highest.

people hate change, yet they always want progress.

progress does not come w/o change

I just did some research on the history of the American football extra point. American football was derived from rugby for which carrying the ball over the touch line did not score any points but gave the team the opportunity to kick the ball between the posts for a score. When the player scored he placed the ball on the ground, which was referred to as the "touch down" and the team had to attempt the kick from that spot.

American football awarded poiints for crossing the goal line but also kept the kick attempt after the score for additional points. After various changes, it eventually resulted in the 6 pts for a TD as we have today and the single point after was kept for the purpose of trying to avoid ties as in the early days it wasn't so automatic.

Supposedly, part of the reason the NFL finally incorporated the 2-point conversion try was also to avoid ties (I personally don't see any valid data to support this as ties and eventually overtime games have been rare.). The purpose of adding excitement with the 2-point conversion seems to make more sense.