Rule passed banning (Pats*) use of ineligible receivers

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is NOT cheating.

Its in the rules.

Just because you didnt know it was a rule, doesnt make it cheating. At worst its kinda unsportsmanlike, since BB knows the rest of you dont read the rules. But its not cheating in any way.

Maybe we should just outlaw anything that most coaches and fans dont know about

-----

That said, I understand why they "outlawed" it. It makes the game slower and less watchable for the fans.

Edited by maddenboy

This is NOT cheating.

Its in the rules.

Just because you didnt know it was a rule, doesnt make it cheating. At worst its kinda unsportsmanlike, since BB knows the rest of you dont read the rules. But its not cheating in any way.

-----

That said, I understand why they "outlawed" it. It makes the game slower and less watchable for the fans.

How many other teams do you see looking at the rule book and saying "I bet we can get away with doing this since the rule doesn't mention it?"

And it wasn't just that they were doing it. They were running a hurry up offense so the officials couldn't have enough time to declare the eligible receiver to the defense.

How many times over the last 15 years have the rules changed because of something that happened with the patriots?

3 or 4 to my knowledge.

This is NOT cheating.

Its in the rules.

-----

While it may not have been cheating when it occured, it caused a rule to be made to prevent the action. The coaches came to a concensus that, though within the letter of the rule, some type of foul play was happening.

And if you don't like people bashing the Pats any chance they get, you are probably on the wrong message board.

I think if they didn't change it then everyone would try do it, and while it technically was "legal" when the pats did it, it really was poor gamesmanship imo.

Exactly, and yet the Fats* went on and got the luckiest win ever in the SB. It is truly disgusting.

Good rule change.

Sad that you have to change the rules to prevent the Pats' cheating, though.

Its not cheating when it was a legal procedure. Much like how the league changed the rule the year after the Rams used a trick play where Kurt Warner pretending to walk off the field to call a timeout, but didn't call a time out, and then Marshall Faulk called for the direct snap hike to pick up a first down. Wasn't cheating, it was creative within the current rules...NFL changed rules the next year to adjust to it, that doesn't make it cheating at the time it happened.

Yeah, they were. Following the letter of the rules while violating the spirit of them is called "gaming the system," and it's considered cheating.

And that's above and beyond the fact that they were violating the rules by improperly declaring eligible/ineligible status on consecutive plays, to get around the substitution rules.

Sorry to say, none of that is true. Working the system is not cheating, its finding creativity within the rules to confuse your opponent, out smart them, and execute something they haven't seen. Thats incredible coaching and game planning. The object of football is to score points by executing plays you disguise so they can be executed. Doing it so well it confuses everyone doesn't make it cheating, it makes it brilliant. And now the Pats potentially have another SB trophy in their case and all the revenue and accolades to go with it because they were smarter than the Ravens on that Sunday. And they did so within the allowable and legal rules. Under no scenario, no book, no rule is that cheating.

It's not cheating. It's out-smarting. Slimy? Yes. Illegal? No.

Yes ... I'd rather win on the up and up. But they didn't cheat. They just knew the rules better.

And they would have won, anyway. Like it or not, the Patriots really have just been better than most other teams in the last dozen or so years. And like it or not, it's because of Belicheck and Brady. They're the best, ever, at what they do.

Get over it and enjoy watching the Bills get better and win with dignity.