Fred Jackson cut??(UPDATE: Pegula says Hell To The No)

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I knew it.

Bills want that trade to start producing. If Fred stays, Brown remains buried RT @chrishinca42 why is Brown number 2, Keep Jackson instead

It's not that cut and dried. The Bills don't think Brown sucks and they think Fred is old, or at least close enough to the edge. When the trade was made for Brown, consensus opinion on this board and in the media was that Bryce was the eventual replacement for Fred Jackson. It was inevitable that day would come. This isn't a case of Whaley trying to "save face". It would be impossible to "save face" by cutting one of the most beloved athletes in Buffalo sports history.

If this is true, I'm not a fan of the start of the Ryan era.

Get a piece of trash like RI and gets rid of one of the best leaders on the team. Terrible, terrible, terrible move.

I totally understand where you are coming from, but this is the NFL, not a "nice guys" club where you get to keep a roster spot as long as you are a "fan favorite/nice guy". Fred is prob a #3 back, and may not be the best #3 back on the team, so he becomes a roster cut (Dixon plays Special Teams, Bryce Brown is much younger and cheaper, and if Powell comes, who is better than Fred at this point, there is no space at all). Fan favorites have to be cut from time to time. Look at the Steelers cutting future Hall of Famer FS Troy P (and they hardly have a "backlog" of individuals to play safety). It happens, not always the happiest time. Hopefully they can offer Fred a position in the FO/Coaching ranks.

Edited by RyanC883

If Fred gets released we should throw a giant going away party for him. It would be a cool way to show our appreciation.

I agree. Would be cool. Of course he'd have to be down with it. But it would be nice.

If that's true I'm growing more skeptical of Whaley by the day. We're going win now but going with a lesser player to justify a sunk cost?

Actually, we should be glad that Whaley wants to WIN, instead of please our desire for nostalgia. Fred is on the decline, and Boobie and Brown are better backs at this point in time. So is Powell. It takes lots of courage to make a move like this. I want a bold GM/Coach that is willing to make the difficult personal moves to put a winner on the field. (And B. Dixon is an awesome guy too. Just look at his "I don't need to be the cowbell" comment)

You mean before the terms were announced?

And he edited his post. Initially said today.

odds are it wont be at the EXACT SAME TIME as the hughes presser. id be very surprised if it wasnt on track for this afternoon, and his agent may already be talking to other teams.

deep breathe, friend.

I agree. Would be cool. Of course he'd have to be down with it. But it would be nice.

Actually, we should be glad that Whaley wants to WIN, instead of please our desire for nostalgia. Fred is on the decline, and Boobie and Brown are better backs at this point in time. So is Powell. It takes lots of courage to make a move like this. I want a bold GM/Coach that is willing to make the difficult personal moves to put a winner on the field. (And B. Dixon is an awesome guy too. Just look at his "I don't need to be the cowbell" comment)

I doubt that. If Titties and Brown were better they'd have seen more playing time.

The fact you edited this post and still can't spell "clearly" tells me all I need to know about your judgement on who's bright and who isn't.

Fred is much better than Bryce Brown. You don't know football if you can't see that.

Fred, in his career, has been better than Bryce Brown. That means nothing going into this season.

I can't believe there's this much emotion over who our backup RB is going to be.

Then again, this place was turned upside down over who the 3rd string QB would be each of the past two off-seasons, so I guess I shouldn't be shocked.

Fred, in his career, has been better than Bryce Brown. That means nothing going into this season.

Of course. But dollars to doughnuts, he's better than Bilal Powell, even if it costs them an extra $2 million in salary differential...

Of course. But dollars to doughnuts, he's better than Bilal Powell, even if it costs them an extra $2 million in salary differential...

but if our lineup is

Mccoy

Brown

Powell (SPECIAL TEAMS AND SHORT YARDAGE)

Dixon (possibly inactive, but special teams and short yardage)

theres a good chance the move has less to do with powell taking his job as a RB and more to do with the coaching staff wanting special teams production out of #3, whoever it is (and that isnt freddy). if freddy isnt in the top 2, and doesnt play ST - he might be penciled in as a healthy scratch and an expensive one, even without bilal

Edited by NoSaint

The likelihood of Fred being a major contributor to any NFL team ever again, in my opinion, is very low.

I would love to have the time to research, but I don't ... but I wonder how many RBs who were "the oldest RB in the league" for consecutive years fared in those seasons. Statistically, Fred had the worst season of his career last year. It is just my belief that it's a trend that will continue and I'd rather not see it happen while he's wearing a Bills uniform. And I love Fred like everyone else does.

Edited by Gugny

I hate this because I love Fred. But Brown is a better 1-2 punch with McCoy due to his youth/size/speed. He's a power/speed combo back. He can run up the middle (need to improve OL obviously). He also has a super cheap contract. Powell is a good 3rd down back in pass pro, is 26, and plays ST.

I believe he was inactive most of last year because Whaley knew one or both of CJ and Fred would be gone this year and was stashing him for 2015 vs using a draft pick on one. If he didn't have off field issues when he was in the draft, brown is a value pick in the 4th. Also Whaley said he had tried to trade for him for 18 months before he finally got him. Clearly loves him. I don't trust Marrone's personnel moves on gameday so the fact he didn't play when CJ and Fred were healthy is what it is.

Maybe Freddy could retire and become a RB coach on the Bills?

The sad fact is that he's not going to be a major part of the offense with McCoy and Brown/Dixon here... RB is a young man's position.

IF Freddy played QB he could have 5-6 great years left.

I hate this because I love Fred. But Brown is a better 1-2 punch with McCoy due to his youth/size/speed. He's a power/speed combo back. He can run up the middle (need to improve OL obviously). He also has a super cheap contract. Powell is a good 3rd down back in pass pro, is 26, and plays ST.

I believe he was inactive most of last year because Whaley knew one or both of CJ and Fred would be gone this year and was stashing him for 2015 vs using a draft pick on one. If he didn't have off field issues when he was in the draft, brown is a value pick in the 4th. Also Whaley said he had tried to trade for him for 18 months before he finally got him. Clearly loves him. I don't trust Marrone's personnel moves on gameday so the fact he didn't play when CJ and Fred were healthy is what it is.

Good, reasoned take on the situation, Yolo -- unlike Jerry Sullivan who just blindly assumes that Whaley keeps Brown over Fred simply because of ego (i.e., traded a pick).

He can, but he really doesn't... it seems. He likes to bounce outside more than CJ from what I can tell.

The likelihood of Fred being a major contributor to any NFL team ever again, in my opinion, is very low.

I'm not arguing that Freddie's not a role player at this stage of his career. But with his smarts and passion, I see him as an important contributor to the team in whatever diminished capacity he's employed.

Sometime in 2015 Freddie is going to help whatever team he's playing for win a big game. I'd like that team to be the Bills...