Fred Jackson cut??(UPDATE: Pegula says Hell To The No)

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Terry Pegula, and not Doug Whaley/Rex Ryan, made a decision to keep Fred, then I'm very disappointed. The last thing I want is a meddlesome, overly sentimental owner who keeps the GM from making difficult decisions.

That said -- has there been one reliable source that confirms Whaley wants to cut Fred?

Sports is entertainment. Cutting a fan favorite who is still productive and whose cost is relatively low is bad business. Plus, does anyone honestly believe keeping Fredex for one more year will cost us wins?

I haven't read every page of this but a buddy of mine claims that Rex wanted Fred cut, Whaley said no, big fight ensued and TP stepped in and said no. Would really love to know the truth on this one

My friend's buddy's girlfriend said that her best friend knows a guy from twitter who swears that Rex hates Freddy and will never play him.

Ugh. So we have an abundance at the position right now and you want to cut two to draft one. Oyy. :doh:

It is a cap saving move :)

If Terry Pegula, and not Doug Whaley/Rex Ryan, made a decision to keep Fred, then I'm very disappointed. The last thing I want is a meddlesome, overly sentimental owner who keeps the GM from making difficult decisions.

That said -- has there been one reliable source that confirms Whaley wants to cut Fred?

He did keep Darcy a year too long.

I love Whaley, but you do realize that this is the only thing he can possibly say, regardless of the truth, right? He is not, nor should he, going to say anything about the possibility of Fred being cut, even if they had already told him he was cut, or planned on it, or discussed it at length or anything in between. Whaley saying that does not dispel the veracity of the rumor one bit. And again, I think the very most of Whaley and his integrity.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I don't know.

Lmo

;) ;) :devil:

I love Whaley, but you do realize that this is the only thing he can possibly say, regardless of the truth, right? He is not, nor should he, going to say anything about the possibility of Fred being cut, even if they had already told him he was cut, or planned on it, or discussed it at length or anything in between. Whaley saying that does not dispel the veracity of the rumor one bit. And again, I think the very most of Whaley and his integrity.

rumors are based on fact so they say. but maybe some janitor heard a snatch of a conversation and ran with it not understanding the truth of the matter

Until the Shady Trade was made I would never have thought to put FredEx out to pasture until I knew. So... you have to ask ... how soon before the rumor is Buffalo know of the "Shady deal" and would that not be tampering?

;) ;) :devil:

rumors are based on fact so they say. but maybe some janitor heard a snatch of a conversation and ran with it not understanding the truth of the matter

Until the Shady Trade was made I would never have thought to put FredEx out to pasture until I knew. So... you have to ask ... how soon before the rumor is Buffalo know of the "Shady deal" and would that not be tampering?

The point is only that we don't know if that rumor is true or not, and Whaley saying in a press conference that he never considered releasing Fred does not shine any light on it being true or not. In fact, if you thought about it, if he hadn't thought or considered cutting Fred he isn't doing his job right.

The point is only that we don't know if that rumor is true or not, and Whaley saying in a press conference that he never considered releasing Fred does not shine any light on it being true or not. In fact, if you thought about it, if he hadn't thought or considered cutting Fred he isn't doing his job right.

"Internal debate, external unity."

I don't know why anyone would expect Whaley to say anything differently, publicly.

you are correct .. we don't know and may never know

Another scenario here is that the front office leaked the "cut" rumor in order to try and force a pay cut, rather than a real desire to cut him immediately. The public reaction along with rumored interest from other teams might have bolstered Fred's negotiating position and the FO backed off. For now, that is. The "Pegula getting involved" is almost more logical in this scenario because if they do not get a pay cut from FJ then they may lay out more total cash to restructure other deals... Especially in light of their bid on Clay.

Another scenario here is that the front office leaked the "cut" rumor in order to try and force a pay cut, rather than a real desire to cut him immediately. The public reaction along with rumored interest from other teams might have bolstered Fred's negotiating position and the FO backed off. For now, that is. The "Pegula getting involved" is almost more logical in this scenario because if they do not get a pay cut from FJ then they may lay out more total cash to restructure other deals... Especially in light of their bid on Clay.

If they wanted to cut his pay, they call his agent.....no reason to leak anything

Not a chance they did that to Fred IMO.

He means to much to this team and this city for that to happen

Probably was discussed, but not more than as a hypothetical possibility. Rex didn't know about the depth of Fred love yet, and Whaley's guy is Brown, so the leak to Graham may have been a trial balloon to see how the fans would react IF they ever decided to go down that path. When the balloon was viciously destroyed by an angry mob, they quickly denied everything and swore their allegiance to Buffalo's most popular sports figure in a generation.

In other words, they got burned by their own bunch of hot air.

Great. Rex is already having fist fights with Whaley at the soda machine, tables overturned in the cafeteria, and video tapes of nekkid feet go flying through the air. The JESTS resign Revis and are going for Cromartie, and to top it off Fitzgibbons will be the QB in NJC next year, and Free Agency is a nascent 24 hours old.

Rex has to be so !@#$ing done with this team.