CJ turned down Bills offer

Well...

Philly can certainly afford to pay him more...But will anyone? TBH I did not think he was worth more than about $3.5-$4 mil per year...

I can't see Philly paying him this much. I bet they go after AP or Murray or Ingram . The Jets will overpay him.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...

Philly can certainly afford to pay him more...But will anyone? TBH I did not think he was worth more than about $3.5-$4 mil per year...

I can't see Spiller in Philly. Everything I have heard today was Chip was frustrated that Shady danced to much east and west and did not hit the designed holes.

Sounds familiar.

Wow. Not surprised by the offer but a little surprised by the fact he turned it down. Will he get 5m a year on another team? Maybe. Probably not though. 4-5m i guess is his range.

I suspect what could have happened was, his agent advised "Let's hold out a little longer and see if we can get 5 or 5.5" and then the Bills got the call from Philly and pulled the trigger on Shady.

Spiller was always going to test free agency and has said as much. The Bills made a fair offer, perhaps even more than fair given his lack of production the last couple of years in particular. When they heard his counter they moved on. I am very pleased to see the Bills acting decisively and agreesively in filling their holes. Spiller seemed shocked on NFL network last night but I am not sure why. Were they supposed to wait for him to go shopping and then come back? I suspect he will end up with little or nothing more than the Bills offered to begin with.

Spiller was always going to test free agency and has said as much. The Bills made a fair offer, perhaps even more than fair given his lack of production the last couple of years in particular. When they heard his counter they moved on. I am very pleased to see the Bills acting decisively and agreesively in filling their holes. Spiller seemed shocked on NFL network last night but I am not sure why. Were they supposed to wait for him to go shopping and then come back? I suspect he will end up with little or nothing more than the Bills offered to begin with.

The Bills were not planning on going after McCoy, he fell into their laps. Spiller wanted to sign with the Bills but he and his agent thought he could get more. The Eagles called the Bills about McCoy, one of the top backs in the league, and they said "Hell, yeah!" It came out of nowhere.

The Bills were not planning on going after McCoy, he fell into their laps. Spiller wanted to sign with the Bills but he and his agent thought he could get more. The Eagles called the Bills about McCoy, one of the top backs in the league, and they said "Hell, yeah!" It came out of nowhere.

This is what seems to have happened, I agree. I was watching NFLN last night when it was announced and CJ did look surprised.

I like Spiller. I love Kiko. That is a good question and a hard one to answer. But McCoy is a star player, and I'm a firm believer in you cannot win anything in any sport without star players. Without Bradham and Brown, I would say Spiller and Kiko. But Bradham is almost as good as Kiko. He could be a pro bowler in a couple years in this defense. I'm not sure where Kiko plays (although Kiko is excellent in pass coverage). Bradham is better in some ways, not as good in others.

That's a really good take.

I think another factor is Shady is the type of player who doesn't look twice at Buffalo if he were to hit the open market. I have a lot more faith in defensive guys buying into Rex and signing here than I do offensive guys. Realistically, short of us giving him an insane deal, I don't think DeMarco Murray would give us the time of day, and he's the only offensive FA I think could have a Shady type impact on our offense.

Big surprise there- I had him pegged around 4m. We will see!

There are a couple of teams (Oakland, Jax and perhaps Cleveland) with HUGE amounts of cap room. And, I heard this is the year of the cap "floor" where teams must spend a minimum amount. This changes things imo.

The Giants used the franchise tag (14.4 mil.) on JPP. I thought that was crazy but maybe someone would have offered him that much. I consider Spiller to be a 2 million dollar or so gadget player, but maybe a team such as Jax will offer him his 5 mil.

I doubt it but it is possible.

There are a couple of teams (Oakland, Jax and perhaps Cleveland) with HUGE amounts of cap room. And, I heard this is the year of the cap "floor" where teams must spend a minimum amount. This changes things imo.

The Giants used the franchise tag (14.4 mil.) on JPP. I thought that was crazy but maybe someone would have offered him that much. I consider Spiller to be a 2 million dollar or so gadget player, but maybe a team such as Jax will offer him his 5 mil.

I doubt it but it is possible.

This is true. I expect we're about to see some real head scratching contract offers in the next week. Part of the reason I want to go after Revis, get in quick and give him his ~$17 mil before guys like Byron Maxwell start getting $12 mil or more.

CJ isnt an every down back. To expect more than that is crazy. But good luck to him. He can be successful in the right system as a change of pace guy. But he's not an every down back

. . . to expect even that is crazy.

NFL teams dont pay for potential anymore, unless you're a draft pick. "talented" or "underused" or "misused" dont cut it IF you have a WIN NOW mentality.

I'm glad he didnt sign it.

Edited by maddenboy

And, I heard this is the year of the cap "floor" where teams must spend a minimum amount. This changes things imo.

i think we read the same article.

But you're not quite right. The CAP FLOOR is for a 4 year period. And the article said that a few teams are not at "average" at this year, which is the half-way mark. So those teams have to spend more in the next 2 years in order to be sure they are at the floor by the end of the 4-year period.

Also, if a team is not at the floor after 4 years, the team pays the difference to the NFLPA.

Edited by maddenboy