CJ turned down Bills offer

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that the absolute most Spiller could get on the open market was $5M per season, and I thought that would be overpaying for his services. I think $4-$4.5M per year is fair for a team that has a defined plan for Spiller. And by defined, I mean a team who understands this is not a guy that can just take hand offs up the middle. I actually feel like he'd be a poor fit on the Cowboys. The Patriots make more sense to replace Shane Vereen, who was more of a scat back. I also believe that the Pats won't pay one penny over $3.5M per season for a scat back. If reports are true that Spiller turned down over $4.5M per year from the Bills he may soon realize that was a mistake financially.

Edited by Estro

So, you think he can carry the load there?

Sorry for the slow response. No, I don't. I actually think he's a little fragile. I recall him getting hurt pretty badly in 2012 in the shoulder but gutting it out and coming back fairly quickly, only missing one game. There was the ankle in 2013 and the shoulder in 2014. That's three years in a row.

The Pats weren't turned off by his fumble right before halftime that gift wrapped a FG to them at the Ralph last season?

Didn't he fumble in our own red zone on the first play of the first game against the Pats in 2013? They must love him.

The Pats weren't turned off by his fumble right before halftime that gift wrapped a FG to them at the Ralph last season?

They probably enjoyed his 3 career 100 yard from scrimmage games against them. :)

Belichick probably thinks Marrone/ Hackett were clowns. They designed gameplans not to throw Watkins the ball. They believe he could be a much better weapon for them than he was here.

IMO, this would be bad for the Bills.

Yeah, but in all fairness, that was with a fully inflated football. That's an apples and oranges comparison for them, I think.

Yeah, but in all fairness, that was with a fully inflated football. That's an apples and oranges comparison for them, I think.

:lol: The Pats can fix any RB's fumbling problems. I always wondered how those no-name WR's for the Pats could make some of those catches too.

They probably enjoyed his 3 career 100 yard from scrimmage games against them. :)

Belichick probably thinks Marrone/ Hackett were clowns. They designed gameplans not to throw Watkins the ball. They believe he could be a much better weapon for them than he was here.

The Pats* can't create the one thing CJ lacks...vision. As long as our D-line stays healthy and Bradham/Brown are patrolling I'm not concerned about any RB going off on the Bills.

i don't know... Bill seems to loathe RBs who can't hang onto the ball. And is he really going to pay him the 5+ mill/yr he wants?

Good! They deserve some bad luck!!!

Gotham Bill, I guarantee it that if the Pats acquire CJ he will be used in a more effective manner than the way Bills used him. You don't think that catching swing passes from Brady or even short downfield passes will result in a number of big plays? You have had the mistaken notion that just because Spiller is not a workhorse back (was not drafted to be that kind of back) that his talents can't be exploited.

CJ Spiller has similar talents to Darren Spoles, a player that wherever he has gone (SD, New Orleans and Philly) has consistently made big plays. Just because the Bills have not been smart about using his unique skill set that doesn't mean that smarter and more successful organizations will be similarly dumb.

If CJ ends up with the Pats or Cowboys and has an impactful year you will be the first in a long line lamenting why he couldn't have done the same good things for this western NY francise. You were very wrong in your assessment on Gilmore (I'm aware you changed your stance) and you are wrong on your view of Spiller. Time will tell but I am confident in my long standing position.

To be honest with you I am glad that he is no longer a Bill and is on the open market. He has been liberated from the shackles of foolishness.

:lol: The Pats can fix any RB's fumbling problems. I always wondered how those no-name WR's for the Pats could make some of those catches too.

it is linked to one of the deflated ball theories. lets see if I can recall it properly

Since Tom Brady petitioned the NFL for each teams to control their owns balls during the game and succeeded, AND petitioned the NFL to lower football PSI(?) with Manning back circa 2006

The Patriots have had the FEWEST fumbles in the NFL

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/01/27/study-questions-what-behind-patriots-low-fumble-rate/ayCrAx6WYoU9NjWLALiQ0H/story.html

Study questions what’s behind Patriots’ low fumble rate

i don't know... Bill seems to loathe RBs who can't hang onto the ball. And is he really going to pay him the 5+ mill/yr he wants?

if he replaces 2 guys and he thinks he can be a dynamic playmaker - maybe he sees the 5m number, or close enough to not regret passing our offer.

if he replaces 2 guys and he thinks he can be a dynamic playmaker - maybe he sees the 5m number, or close enough to not regret passing our offer.

Even if the money is less that doesn't mean that he isn't going to a team that will better utilize his skill set and be a better situation for him. If the Pats acquire him I have no doubt that he will be used in a smarter fashion. It's not about the quantiy of carries as it is about the effectiveness of a player.

I'm very confident that if CJ ends up with Dallas (with their great OL) or with the Pats (with one of the smartest coaching staffs) he will exhibit his dynamic playmaking skills to a greater extent than he did with the dullard Bills.