Has Dealer Doug earned benefit of the doubt?

You have got to be kidding. Other than the Hughes move, every single one of his moves can be debated. And some were downright idiotic.

He was out parading "we are open to every position except QB" weeks before the draft last year. There were sensible people on this board scratching their heads about that. Even if that's how he felt, why publicize it? In any case, after just 4 more games from the guy he had anointed, his tune is now "we are looking to upgrade the QB position". It's just so amateur.

He drafted 3 crappy lineman in the last draft. One of whom they were forced to start and proceeded to rate right near the bottom of the entire league. The other two who could barely see the field even though there wasn't much competition.

Chris Williams is awful. I know...what a shocker. At least to those who didn't bother to google him and see he has pretty much been awful his whole career.

Sammy Watkins...an excellent player, no doubt but not a lot of scouting had to go into determining that. But a bad trade when looking at it from a value perspective. And especially so when you don't have an established QB.

Trading a proven receiver who had success with a crappy QB for a 4th because "he doesn't mesh with our new QB". Who is also crappy. The guy who was then benched a quarter into the season.

Trading a 4th for a backup RB who barely saw the field. And when he did, he fumbled the season away.

And now he trades for a running back with a huge cap number, who has benefited from a greater support system than he will receive here. The same system that had Bryce Brown running for 170 yards in consecutive games. The guy who couldn't crack the starting lineup here. And he trades away a promising young player at a more valuable position, who almost won rookie of the year and who is only one year into his rookie deal. And people are happy about this? They couldn't give him away to at least one team (Arizona), yet we send them Kiko. Unbelievable.

How so many people are in love with this guy and trash Nix makes no sense, considering Nix has added more talent to this current roster than Whaley has. He doesn't seem like he has a long-term plan and just seems to be winging it.

Edited by QB Bills

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then debate me on why I'm wrong. I'll most assuredly listen to your opinion.

It has to do with making massive assumptions, and then making more assumptions based on those assumptions. I am not saying that you are wrong, but your extrapolation of events behind the scenes just seems odd to me considering the realm of likely possibilities. I believe that a range of things could have occurred, while it seemed a little soap opera-esque as to your account of things. Playing the jump to conclusions game isn't my strong suit. It just looks like a decisive personnel move by Whaley to me. JMO.

I think Whaley sees us on the cusp of playoff contention. Our 9-7 record last year bears that out. So he feels a sense of urgency. He's hungry to make the playoffs this season so he'll work overtime and make bold deals to get us there.

I think he's happy with the defensive roster overall. And we did well on special teams last season (I'm guessing DW will resign Easley). But DW knows Rex and Roman need more offensive weapons.

Since no franchise QBs are available, DW went out and got us a franchise RB. He knows we're going to need a great running attack to balance what might be a weak passing attack. Toward this end, DW signed Incognito, traded for a RB, and I'm guessing he's going to get another FA OL.

I was not a fan of trading up for Sammy but mostly I like what Whaley is doing.

(Humbly noting that neither I nor most anyone else here know 1/100th about NFL personnel that DW knows. But as a fan, it's more fun to have an opinion anyway).

Edited by hondo in seattle

You have got to be kidding. Other than the Hughes move, every single one of his moves can be debated. And some were downright idiotic.

He was out parading "we are open to every position except QB" weeks before the draft last year. (...) now "we are looking to upgrade the QB position". It's just so amateur.

He drafted 3 crappy lineman in the last draft.

Chris Williams is awful.

Sammy Watkins...an excellent player, no doubt but not a lot of scouting had to go into determining that. But a bad trade when looking at it from a value perspective.

Trading a proven receiver who had success with a crappy QB for a 4th because "he doesn't mesh with our new QB". Who is also crappy.

Trading a 4th for a backup RB who barely saw the field. And when he did, he fumbled the season away.

And now he trades for a running back with a huge cap number,....They couldn't give him away to at least one team (Arizona), yet we send them Kiko. Unbelievable.

How so many people are in love with this guy and trash Nix makes no sense, considering Nix has added more talent to this current roster than Whaley has. He doesn't seem like he has a long-term plan and just seems to be winging it.

Interesting cherry-picked list. You do realize that the GM is responsible for determining what type of players the coach feels he needs and delivering them? If the coach changes, so does the type of players who fit.

In the modern NFL, it's also important to consider cap. SJ was owed $16M or something like that, $4M last year. So he was traded for a 4th and $4M because he excelled as an E-P player and Marrone placed higher value on having high quality WR who could be coached to run crisp WCO routes. That wasn't Stevie's strength.

"They couldn't give (McCoy) away to Arizona" really? Really?

I think Whaley sees us on the cusp of playoff contention. Our 9-7 record last year bears that out. So he feels a sense of urgency. He's hungry to make the playoffs this season so he'll work overtime and make bold deals to get us there.

I think he's happy with the defensive roster overall. And we did well on special teams last season (I'm guessing DW will resign Easley). But DW knows Rex and Roman need more offensive weapons.

Since no franchise QBs are available, DW went out and got us a franchise RB. He knows we're going to need a great running attack to balance what might be a weak passing attack. Toward this end, DW signed Incognito, traded for a RB, and I'm guessing he's going to get another FA OL.

(Humbly noting that neither I nor most anyone else here know 1/100th about NFL personnel that DW knows. But as a fan, it's more fun to have an opinion anyway).

Good analysis, I think. Including the note that I don't think any of us here have 1/100th of NFL personnel knowledge as DW.

I see the franchise RB situation the same way. We are planning to mask the shortcomings of whoever wins the QB battle with a strong running game and a stout OL.

Edited by Hopeful

He was out parading "we are open to every position except QB" weeks before the draft last year. There were sensible people on this board scratching their heads about that. Even if that's how he felt, why publicize it? In any case, after just 4 more games from the guy he had anointed, his tune is now "we are looking to upgrade the QB position". It's just so amateur.

He drafted 3 crappy lineman in the last draft. One of whom they were forced to start and proceeded to rate right near the bottom of the entire league. The other two who could barely see the field even though there wasn't much competition.

Chris Williams is awful. I know...what a shocker. At least to those who didn't bother to google him and see he has pretty much been awful his whole career.

Sammy Watkins...an excellent player, no doubt but not a lot of scouting had to go into determining that. But a bad trade when looking at it from a value perspective. And especially so when you don't have an established QB.

Trading a proven receiver who had success with a crappy QB for a 4th because "he doesn't mesh with our new QB". Who is also crappy. The guy who was then benched a quarter into the season.

And now he trades for a running back with a huge cap number, who has benefited from a greater support system than he will receive here. The same system that had Bryce Brown running for 170 yards in consecutive games. The guy who couldn't crack the starting lineup here. And he trades away a promising young player at a more valuable position, who almost won rookie of the year and who is only one year into his rookie deal. And people are happy about this? They couldn't give him away to at least one team (Arizona), yet we send them Kiko. Unbelievable.

You made some valid points but to call DW idiotic is hubris, brother. DW is far, far smarter about football than you or I will ever be.

Every GM makes both good and bad moves - the good ones makes somewhat fewer bad calls.

It seems to me that Whaley - with some of the ground work being laid by Buddy Nix - has built this team into a playoff contender.

We'll see. I'll eat my words if we finish 6-10. But I think 10-6 is far more likely.

With EJ or Cassel under center, we're not going to field a dynamic passing attack. So DW is doing everything he can to guarantee a good running attack. Dealing a player where we have depth for an elite RB makes loads of sense. Bryce Brown is not LeSean McCoy.

It has to do with making massive assumptions, and then making more assumptions based on those assumptions. I am not saying that you are wrong, but your extrapolation of events behind the scenes just seems odd to me considering the realm of likely possibilities. I believe that a range of things could have occurred, while it seemed a little soap opera-esque as to your account of things. Playing the jump to conclusions game isn't my strong suit. It just looks like a decisive personnel move by Whaley to me. JMO.

Here's an example: Last year it was clear the Bills needed an insurance policy for Manuel. After all, the previous year they'd signed an oft-concussed Kevin Kolb knowing full-well they'd draft a QB.

But Whaley did not trade for or sign a veteran before or during UFA. Now apparently he's the one doing it?

When you compare tendencies with people, things become clear. Buddy Nix drafted players almost universally from the south in three separate drafts. In 2013 though, 2 of the top 3 picks were PAC-12 guys. Did Nix, after years of being a southern guy, suddenly change? Or was it more likely the individual making the decisions had changed?

That's my point here. The other scenario is when a big event takes place which prompted people to change their decision making. When RW passed, I think the organization as a whole change because new ownership was on the way and job security was in play. Anyone who's been in management knows that survival is the highest priority when new ownership comes in the door.

I don't think Whaley changed this off-season. I think the new HC is driving the change.

Absolutely not

I like a lot of what he has done. I admit I'm truly dissappointed in Matt Cassel. Moore, Locker or even Sanchise is better than Cassel. What it means to me is that he's all in on EJ. He's not giving up on his 1st rounder.

I agree 100%, all of those would have been better choices and were not even waiting to see what happens with Cutler or Manning

I like a lot of what he has done. I admit I'm truly dissappointed in Matt Cassel. Moore, Locker or even Sanchise is better than Cassel. What it means to me is that he's all in on EJ. He's not giving up on his 1st rounder.

Will you change your mind when they still sign Moore or Locker in a week?

Here's an example: Last year it was clear the Bills needed an insurance policy for Manuel. After all, the previous year they'd signed an oft-concussed Kevin Kolb knowing full-well they'd draft a QB.

But Whaley did not trade for or sign a veteran before or during UFA. Now apparently he's the one doing it?

When you compare tendencies with people, things become clear. Buddy Nix drafted players almost universally from the south in three separate drafts. In 2013 though, 2 of the top 3 picks were PAC-12 guys. Did Nix, after years of being a southern guy, suddenly change? Or was it more likely the individual making the decisions had changed?

That's my point here. The other scenario is when a big event takes place which prompted people to change their decision making. When RW passed, I think the organization as a whole change because new ownership was on the way and job security was in play. Anyone who's been in management knows that survival is the highest priority when new ownership comes in the door.

I don't think Whaley changed this off-season. I think the new HC is driving the change.

I don't know. If you are looking for a story line that justifies not giving credit to Whaley as GM, I guess it works.

You made some valid points but to call DW idiotic is hubris, brother. DW is far, far smarter about football than you or I will ever be.

Every GM makes both good and bad moves - the good ones makes somewhat fewer bad calls.

It seems to me that Whaley - with some of the ground work being laid by Buddy Nix - has built this team into a playoff contender.

We'll see. I'll eat my words if we finish 6-10. But I think 10-6 is far more likely.

With EJ or Cassel under center, we're not going to field a dynamic passing attack. So DW is doing everything he can to guarantee a good running attack. Dealing a player where we have depth for an elite RB makes loads of sense. Bryce Brown is not LeSean McCoy.

I hear you. And I'm not calling the guy an idiot. I've reserved that name for Marrone for the time being. But I'm just not as sold on him as others are here. You trade up for a star receiver with a question mark at quarterback. And the next year, you trade for a star running back because you don't have a QB who can get the ball to said star receiver so you need to go run-heavy. Which they will soon discover they also can't necessarily do as they don't have the athletic o-line that the Eagles do.

Meanwhile, everyone keeps talking about all this depth the Bills have at linebacker. They have Bradham and Brown at the moment. And maybe they'll have Harris next week. What else is there? And Kiko is better than all those guys.

There just doesn't seem to be an end-game here.

I hear you. And I'm not calling the guy an idiot. I've reserved that name for Marrone for the time being. But I'm just not as sold on him as others are here. You trade up for a star receiver with a question mark at quarterback. And the next year, you trade for a star running back because you don't have a QB who can get the ball to said star receiver so you need to go run-heavy. Which they will soon discover they also can't necessarily do as they don't have the athletic o-line that the Eagles do.

Meanwhile, everyone keeps talking about all this depth the Bills have at linebacker. They have Bradham and Brown at the moment. And maybe they'll have Harris next week. What else is there? And Kiko is better than all those guys.

There just doesn't seem to be an end-game here.

The end game is to build the team up to such an extent that a veteran/franchise QB hungry for a ring will choose to come to Buffalo in the next few years in an attempt to win it all. The backup plan is to develop the QBs they have, or will pick, in the coming drafts.

The end game is quite clear. The Bills are trying to win NOW. Not next year or two years from now. RIGHT NOW.

Doug Whaley isn't running this team the way a GM did in years past. This is Rex's team and Whaley is facilitating, not leading personnel acquisition.

Kiko Alonso was the first pick during 2010-2013 when Nix was "GM" who was taken that played outside the Southern region. It's why I think he was a Whaley pick.

That said, why would Whaley give up on one of his guys less than 2 years after drafting him? IMO, it's because Rex is building the roster and Whaley supports (but does not lead) that vision for the team.

I think you're working off a lot of assumptions there.

Nix was on his way out that draft. Whaley has an eye for linebacker talent and the "young guns" were allowed to have more of a say in the draft board.

Whaley also has 10 years of apprenticeship learning to build a perennial contender in Pittsburgh. When you have a position of strength, you deal players to make other parts of your team stronger. Dealing a young linebacker who has shown something but isn't essential to the team is a classic "Linebacker U" Pittsburgh move.

The Bills were a top D with Kiko on reserve/NFI last year, but he played well enough to generate a splash his rookie year (ROY candidate, 3rd in NFL in tackles) making him attractive as a trade candidate. He was especially attractive to his former college coach.

You build a team (and a rep as a GM) by making deals that strengthen your team, not getting all "ego" and "emo" about "oh he's my guy, I can't give up on him".

Where do you think Roman is in all this, sitting on the sofa eating bon-bons while Rex makes all the decisions he'll have to "ride or die" on? I think Roman, Rex, and Whaley sat down and agreed the team needed a top-tier running back and built a short list of who they wanted both in trade and FA, and a list of acceptable trade bait. Then Whaley took it from there, used his 13 years of contacts, found a deal, and came back to the decision making group (Rex and the Pegulas, maybe Brandon) to get buy-in on the final proposed trade.

Edited by Hopeful

I think you're working off a lot of assumptions there.

Nix was on his way out that draft. Whaley has an eye for linebacker talent and the "young guns" were allowed to have more of a say in the draft board.

Whaley also has 10 years of apprenticeship learning to build a perennial contender in Pittsburgh. When you have a position of strength, you deal players to make other parts of your team stronger. Dealing a young linebacker who has shown something but isn't essential to the team is a classic "Linebacker U" Pittsburgh move.

The Bills were a top D with Kiko on reserve/NFI last year, but he played well enough to generate a splash his rookie year (ROY candidate, 3rd in NFL in tackles) making him attractive as a trade candidate. He was especially attractive to his former college coach.

You build a team (and a rep as a GM) by making deals that strengthen your team, not getting all "ego" and "emo" about "oh he's my guy, I can't give up on him".

Where do you think Roman is in all this, sitting on the sofa eating bon-bons while Rex makes all the decisions he'll have to "ride or die" on? I think Roman, Rex, and Whaley sat down and agreed the team needed a top-tier running back and built a short list of who they wanted both in trade and FA, and a list of acceptable trade bait. Then Whaley took it from there, used his 13 years of contacts, found a deal, and came back to the decision making group (Rex and the Pegulas, maybe Brandon) to get buy-in on the final proposed trade.

Well of course I'm making "assumptions." So are you and it's necessary given how none of us are allowed behind closed doors. However, I form my opinion and make "assumptions" based on the actions they've taken. I guess critical thinking dies when confronted with fans who cannot criticize their team under any circumstances.

Doug Whaley has become a GM in the mold of Seattle's John Schneider. He doesn't have total personnel control anymore, which I recognize hits to the core of those who don't focus on the inner-workings of the front office. But the relationship between GM's and HC's is rapidly changing in the NFL and Buffalo is one of the teams that has the HC report to the owner and not to a GM. Makes sense given the record of the GM versus the new HC.

Think of it this way: Rex is telling Doug what he's cooking, so he gives Whaley a list of things to get at the store. And Rex does the cooking after Whaley acquires the goods.

I'll be jigged - 35 fewer rushing attempts, 70 more passing attempts than 2013.

So is that change in philosophy what made the '9ers so much worse last year on offense? I've been trying to figure that out.

They would have a good 1st half running the ball and then come out for the 2nd half in a 4 WR spread and it didn't work. Gore would have about 10 carries in the 1st half and none in the 2nd. Most teams with a lead go to the running game.

Think of it this way: Rex is telling Doug what he's cooking, so he gives Whaley a list of things to get at the store. And Rex does the cooking after Whaley acquires the goods.

All GMs and HCs do this unless the relationship is highly non-functional. Your previous post made it sound as though this is some big change or that Rex has significantly more control over personnel decisions than previous coaches.

I doubt this is true. The coaches always discuss what kind of players they need, and the list is the kind of player they need for their scheme, not "get this player".

I think the big change is that finally (and hopefully) Brandon and Overdorf aren't in the mix.

They would have a good 1st half running the ball and then come out for the 2nd half in a 4 WR spread and it didn't work. Gore would have about 10 carries in the 1st half and none in the 2nd. Most teams with a lead go to the running game.

Interesting, thanks for the gouge!

I don't agree. Cassel has 96 career TD passes to 70 INTs. Sanchez, Moore & Locker all have about an equal number of TDs and INTs, which one would call mediocrity.

I like the proactive moves the FO is taking to improve the offense... Sadly, it hasn't exactly translated to total success. Time will tell.

PS- At a glance, I genuinely thought this threads title started "Has Dealer Drugs....".

:bag:

As do I, but I am also prepared for all of us singing the same song on the board by week 9.

Whaley's doing what he has to do to give the coaching staff what they need to be successful. Yeah, he's earned the benefit of the doubt. Is he going to be perfect? NO! Does he have more hits than misses? Absolutely!

I trust Whaley and his vision. Rex concerns me a bit, so I hope Whaley has final say over the player stuff, but they share the vision, so I agree with almost everything above. One exception may be anyone here knowing 1/100th about NFL personnel of what Whaley knows (with very rare exceptions). We probably need another digit, and of course a comma, but no biggie.

Doug has my trust. He hasn't made the moves I'd like so far this offseason but I recognize that this is pre-Free Agency and draft, there are only so many moves that can be made, and not every chip will fall into our lap...

I have no problem with trading Kiko. I trust Doug's (and Rex's) ability to find 3rd-5th round LBs who can contribute at worst or blossom at best.

I won't apologize for the Watkins trade. I don't understand going all-in on a WR then moving to a run-first philosophy 12 months later, but I wanted Watkins & Whaley got him.

I question trading for Brown. I would love to have that pick back.

Do I like McCoy? I love his play and it will be awesome to see him in Bills' red, white and blue. I do not love tying up a ton of money on one RB.

So, what would I do differently from my couch? The money going to McCoy could slightly overpay for Ingram with enough left over to put a down payment on Clint Boling. Spend a little on David Harris. Go after Virgil Green and Clay and drop Chandler and Gragg. Pay Hughes or target McPhee, Sheard or Morgan as his replacement. Let Searcy go. Put $4 million towards Moore or Locker, not Cassell.

We need a nose tackle. Laugh all you want but finding K. William's eventual replacement is a must. I want a kid to sit behind Kyle, soak it all in, and be ready when his number is called. We don't have Kyle for much longer and we'll suffer if we can't plug someone in. The replacement needs drafted this year with a mid-draft pick. We should have our picks of an RB, OL or Bryce Petty with our first two picks. Use our late picks on S, DE and OL.

With the leftover money add additional pieces via FA like Shorts or Britt at WR, Parnell at T, Sterling Moore at CB... Smile at that depth and reasonable cap room and make a hard, hard, hard run at Tannehill next year.

Either way, Whaley still has time to hit some of my wants so I may trust him even more by early May. Or I can sit here saying "I told you so!"

Will you change your mind when they still sign Moore or Locker in a week?

Yes, if they bring in additional competition I will back off on my criticism of the move.

Getting Hughes was great. Other than that I don't see a single trade that earns Whaley the benefit of doubt. I didn't like the trade up for Watkins (still don't), SJ for a 4th was okay, acquiring Brown for that 4th was a little South of okay, and acquiring a one year rental of Cassel and a 6th for a 5th and 7th was okay at best. I don't know what to think of the Shady/Kiko trade. I'm not sure that Shady will be as good running between the tackles in Buffalo as he was getting into space in Philly. I hate his cap numbers. He doesn't pass pro well either. But if Roman can get the same production out of him as Kelly did,mhe'll be a fan fave. I hate losing Kiko who was on his rookie deal and looked to be a stud, if healthy. I hate that neither seems to want to be here and that McCoy is unhappy with his seemingly generous contract. I don't like this trade yet, but I'll wait and see.

I love the way the defense is built (especially the front 7), but the way the offensive line was assembled last season sucked. Ditto the TE spot and, of course, the QB position. I'm not firing Whaley or anything now, but the man has left himself some work to do.

Edited by BarleyNY

I believe in Whaley 100%. He's done enough to prove to me that he's capable of making some really, really smart moves and seeing talent where other teams may not. Kiko in the second, Hughes for Shepphard, Robey as an undrafted rookie FA, Corey Graham for peanuts, Preston Brown, Henderson in the 7th. And the trade up for Watkins and this Kiko trade may be controversial, but you can't deny they took a lot of cajones.

He's basically the type of GM I've always wanted for the Bills. A GM that takes big risks that pan out most of the time(nobody is perfect). I have a feeling a few games into the season Bills fans are going to be very happy about the McCoy trade.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

It's not just trades, but FA acquisitions as well (undrafted especially).

You don't know what influence Doug Marrone had in the past when it came to some of the OL fails the last couple years (Chris Williams an example).

The jury is still out on EJ Manuel as well.

However, I think Whaley is a breath of fresh air and for a young GM he is allowed a mulligan or two compared to some of the older GMs in the league (Nix) who lived on mulligans.

Plus, its nice to have a GM with the balls to go all out and trade for a player he truly believes in without looking back. Reminds me of another Buffalo GM, Tim Murray.

I really like what Whaley is doing and I honestly think after a few years pass we'll truly understand the great job he has done.