Russell Wilson and the Seahawks negotiations (update:signed)

YoloinOhio

the cap hit for the tag, 18.5m

cams cap hits - 13m this year, 20m+ every other year.

it seems like an odd argument that they would give him cams deal but not tag him (and even possibly trade him under that tag at the very least)

I was thinking the same thing. Just posturing at this point anyway.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all talk in the negation process, no way he walks, no way they let him, unless they think he is replaceable, and if so he would fit the bills well. Go Bills. The Bills have the cap set-up to do a little crazy moving $$$ around like N.O. the last few years before it catches up to them...it is what you have to do these days..IMO

This gets resolved.

Their depth chart at his position is not impressive at all.

Don't they have Tarvaris Jackson ? From what I remember , he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and the Bills were incompetent for not being able to get him in lineup.

This is all talk in the negation process, no way he walks, no way they let him, unless they think he is replaceable, and if so he would fit the bills well. Go Bills. The Bills have the cap set-up to do a little crazy moving $$$ around like N.O. the last few years before it catches up to them...it is what you have to do these days..IMO

It would be without precedent in this day and age, but at some point the dam has to burst on these qb's holding teams hostage. It will take a disciplined franchise like pats or seahawks to do it

At some point, NFL teams are going to start balking at these crazy QB contracts for non elite QBs. I think Wilson is a great QB if he's put in the perfect situation like he was with Seattle. However, IMO he is not on the same elite level of Brady or Rodgers. QBs who don't need a lot of great players around them to win in the NFL.

It will be very interesting to watch Wilson's career post Marshawn Lynch. I think he might start looking like an average QB if his team starts lacking both a great running game and great defense.

If Russel Wilson doesn't agree to something more reasonable and the Seahawks let him walk, he's going to find out that the last two SBs were the peak of his career. I'm not saying he isn't a great QB, but he sure wouldn't be able to bring a bottom-tier team to the top. He needs a good team to begin with if he wants to keep is super bowl streak going.

If they franchise him he will just go play baseball. Better to trade him and get something for him rather than have him walk don't you think?

No he won't

Don't they have Tarvaris Jackson ? From what I remember , he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and the Bills were incompetent for not being able to get him in lineup.

I'm pretty sure you didn't understand the tjax conversations at all if you think people thought he was great

It would be without precedent in this day and age, but at some point the dam has to burst on these qb's holding teams hostage. It will take a disciplined franchise like pats or seahawks to do it

The Hawks are a disciplined franchise? I've never had that impression but maybe you have a different perspective

We of all fans should appreciate someone like Wilson. We'd be in the AFC championship game with him this year and probably last.

Plus, Flacco got top money. I'd take him over Flacco in a heartbeat. All the guys want top money because it's only top money for a year and they rarely play those contracts out.

Seattle has huge cap issues coming their way. If they non-exclusive franchise him, I'd be all over that.

Hell, what do they want for him now? Next two years firsts and seconds? Done!

Plus, Flacco got top money. I'd take him over Flacco in a heartbeat. All the guys want top money because it's only top money for a year and they rarely play those contracts out.

Seattle has huge cap issues coming their way. If they non-exclusive franchise him, I'd be all over that.

Hell, what do they want for him now? Next two years firsts and seconds? Done!

Flacco's deal is similar to the deal that Cam has signed in overall value, which is allegedly what Wilson has been offered. But crucially Flacco's deal is worth about $12million less in guaranteed money. So if Wilson has been offered something similar to Cam he has been offered a better overall package than what Flacco got. I am also not sure I'd take him over Flacco in heartbeat.... eventually Quarterbacking comes down to being able to deliver the ball in the clutch from the pocket accurately and consistently. I think Flacco has maybe a slight edge there.

Wilson is a top 15 Quarterback for me but not top 10. Seattle are in a very interesting position and as has been said eventually a team has to take a stand on these Quarterback deals, however, it is supply and demand and as we know only too well there are not enough genuine NFL class Quarterbacks for every team to have one. If Seattle doesn't pay Russell Wilson someone else will.... the question then is will have anything like the same success without Marshawn in the backfield and the legion of boom on the other side of the ball?

Wilson is a good QB. He does a lot well, he's smart and decisive. He uses his legs wisely. He's not a superstar talent, though. He's not elite, but he's been successful enough that he's going to be paid like he is. He's got a good enough resume and enough on field success that Seatle won't have much choice in the end. They're going to have to pay him very well. Not Aaron Rogers well, but close to Joe Flacco well.

And who knows what that means anyway. Can anyone make sense of the pay scale for QBs?:

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Edited by BarleyNY