Salary Cap Thread

eball

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually a pretty accurate breakdown. There are a few avenues to lower the hit next year he didn't explore (i.e. signing Gilmore long term), but it does illustrate some of the issues we'll face in the near future. More importantly, it illustrates these issues are, in fact, real -- and they won't go away by pretending Pegula has some mythical accounting powers that the other 30 billionaire owners in the league don't possess.

The most glaring problem to me is that while we will be fighting to stay under the cap in the upcoming years, these figures don't allocate any future spending for anything more than a stopgap QB.

That is why we will probably be trying to draft our future qb

Right

I def get the feeling that Clay will be open to doing a restructure next year.....we have not TOUCHED Mario's contract.

We are fine. The bills have done a very good job with this.

All they do is convert the roster bonus to a signing bonus, makes him no difference, he still gets the money upfront, we just get to spread it out over the other four years

All they do is convert the roster bonus to a signing bonus, makes him no difference, he still gets the money upfront, we just get to spread it out over the other four years

Bingo...

That'll rub even more salt in the Fin's wound, as well...

Bills cap as of 3/19 is at $9.5 mil not including Clay's hit. So I'm thinking we'll have roughly $2.5 after Clay hits the books.

That's without restructuring Mario or cutting Williams, which I'm calculating could take Buffalo's cap back up to $10 mil if completed.

I def get the feeling that Clay will be open to doing a restructure next year.....we have not TOUCHED Mario's contract.

i assume the 10m bonus turns signing bonus and simply smooths out the cap hit through the end of the contract. it would make sense and fit with a newer trend in deals around the league. clay would have no reason to say no.

I don't think Mario Williams is still on the team to start 2016, reatructured obviously is a consideration - but he doesn't really fit Rex's schematic type and with Wilkerson from the JETS a potential FA next year, might see him on the line instead of Mario moving back to a traditional 3-4 Defense.

I don't think Mario Williams is still on the team to start 2016, reatructured obviously is a consideration - but he doesn't really fit Rex's schematic type and with Wilkerson from the JETS a potential FA next year, might see him on the line instead of Mario moving back to a traditional 3-4 Defense.

A 1st team all-pro that is a team captain fits in anyone's scheme. They will restructure to make it more cap friendly. Mario will be retiring a Bill.

rex fits his scheme to Mario

A 1st team all-pro that is a team captain fits in anyone's scheme. They will restructure to make it more cap friendly. Mario will be retiring a Bill.

I'm not understating his talent, but keep in mind he came to Buffalo at a time when the BILLS' roster was bereft of quality talent sans KW, and desperate to make Chan and Wanny's team work, the deal doesn't necessarily fit what the team will need, and want, to do in 2016 - just as a guess. Championship teams take calculated risks and those risks include letting guys go / trade / cut when their value has diminished compared to their cost. It's not anything against Mario, but the contract relative to where the team is now compared to where it was when the contract was signed. Just my opinion - not starting a fire here.

rex fits his scheme to Mario

And that may very well happen, you could very much be right - but Rex's history suggests otherwise, dating back to the Ravens. This year, it's obvious he'll use the talent he has and make the most of it, largely because he has to. But with this Draft still ahead, next year's FA and Draft, I'll bet that the team moves much closer to his standard 3-4, again IMHO

I'm not understating his talent, but keep in mind he came to Buffalo at a time when the BILLS' roster was bereft of quality talent sans KW, and desperate to make Chan and Wanny's team work, the deal doesn't necessarily fit what the team will need, and want, to do in 2016 - just as a guess. Championship teams take calculated risks and those risks include letting guys go / trade / cut when their value has diminished compared to their cost. It's not anything against Mario, but the contract relative to where the team is now compared to where it was when the contract was signed. Just my opinion - not starting a fire here.

And that may very well happen, you could very much be right - but Rex's history suggests otherwise, dating back to the Ravens. This year, it's obvious he'll use the talent he has and make the most of it, largely because he has to. But with this Draft still ahead, next year's FA and Draft, I'll bet that the team moves much closer to his standard 3-4, again IMHO

I guess this is where we disagree. He is coming off of the best season of his career. He is THE guy that makes the defense tick. His dominance opens things up for everyone else. The Bills have no intention of letting him go and have some pretty easy options to restructure him to minimize his cap hit. If anyone from that DL will be moving on it will be Kyle Williams. I don't see that either but he will be the 1st of that group to move on. Mario will retire as a Buffalo Bill.

I guess this is where we disagree. He is coming off of the best season of his career. He is THE guy that makes the defense tick. His dominance opens things up for everyone else. The Bills have no intention of letting him go and have some pretty easy options to restructure him to minimize his cap hit. If anyone from that DL will be moving on it will be Kyle Williams. I don't see that either but he will be the 1st of that group to move on. Mario will retire as a Buffalo Bill.

Totally good with this, that we may disagree on this point, and only time will tell. But appreciate you maintaining a positive and collegial discussion despite our differing of opinions...sad that in today's message board world, such a "thanks" has to even be stated, but it does. Regardless, whoever is wearing the red, blue, and white - I support them 100%.

Totally good with this, that we may disagree on this point, and only time will tell. But appreciate you maintaining a positive and collegial discussion despite our differing of opinions...sad that in today's message board world, such a "thanks" has to even be stated, but it does. Regardless, whoever is wearing the red, blue, and white - I support them 100%.

I don't care who is at the parade as long as there is one :thumbsup:

Forgive me in advance, but I believe Rex Ryan would read your post and have the biggest belly laugh of his life.

Seems we're going ALL IN this year before we lose some key pieces :o

Isn't 2016 the highest cap hit for Clay? To my knowledge, it drops significantly in 2017, at which point Mario's contract will be up (and it's possible he re-signs at a much lower cost). Ideally, only 2016 needs a major cap workaround.

well, at least they are going for it. the hope is they have a franchise an average to above-average QB before the non-QB pieces start falling off

This is all they really need to win with this roster.

Forgive me in advance, but I believe Rex Ryan would read your post and have the biggest belly laugh of his life.

Forgiveness isn't necessary, but I will disagree. You may be right, but your hypothesis is largely based on your assessment of Mario Williams' value and not as much what Rex's history demonstrates. So, maybe Rex would throw turds at my statement, but I'll just wait and see what happens before I make any judgments. Simply saying, Mario Williams is a rare talent and is an elite DE in the 4-3, but if you recall, MW also said he didn't particularly care for playing the OLB in a 3-4 and it seems like a huge leap to say that Rex will undo all his years of coaching and expertise for one player....he might, and that's possible...I'm just saying, it would be against the grain for him, in reference to what he's done going all the way back to his Defensive Coordinator days with the Ravens. Just a thought....

Forgiveness isn't necessary, but I will disagree. You may be right, but your hypothesis is largely based on your assessment of Mario Williams' value and not as much what Rex's history demonstrates. So, maybe Rex would throw turds at my statement, but I'll just wait and see what happens before I make any judgments. Simply saying, Mario Williams is a rare talent and is an elite DE in the 4-3, but if you recall, MW also said he didn't particularly care for playing the OLB in a 3-4 and it seems like a huge leap to say that Rex will undo all his years of coaching and expertise for one player....he might, and that's possible...I'm just saying, it would be against the grain for him, in reference to what he's done going all the way back to his Defensive Coordinator days with the Ravens. Just a thought....

I think that Rex's scheme will look a lot like Pettine's and not the traditional 3-4. We will hear the word "multiple" about 8,000 times between now and the start to the season. Mario is not ideal in a traditional 3-4 but lining up all over the field as he did 2 years ago, he can be deadly.

I think that Rex's scheme will look a lot like Pettine's and not the traditional 3-4. We will hear the word "multiple" about 8,000 times between now and the start to the season. Mario is not ideal in a traditional 3-4 but lining up all over the field as he did 2 years ago, he can be deadly.

And bottom line...no defensive coach, ever, would not want the athletic freak that is Mario Williams playing as much as possible.

And bottom line...no defensive coach, ever, would not want the athletic freak that is Mario Williams playing as much as possible.

Really? Well, if Maroon were still here and Mario cut the cheese in a meeting or some other horrible transgression of the rules, he just might find himself sitting on the pine for a game or two and wondering WTF he's playing on Special Teams. :ph34r:

This is exactly how Rex will utilize him