Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but that was pretty much FMV for his services, and he was being courted by a number of franchises and he likely would have had a number of offers had he waited a bit longer.

It is short sighted to suggest he only came here for the money, particularly given Rex's statement (which I believe) that he intends for this to be his last head coaching stop in the NFL.

Beggars can't be chosers, but Rex isn't a beggar. He can chose. I doubt he would have taken our $27 million instead of someone else's unless he was convinced there was some type of workable QB plan in place.

Well, teams were over a week into their coaching search and we were the only one to offer him a job at that point.

Anyway, I think you are looking at this backwards. It wasn't our job to convince him of our plans at QB, that's ludicrous -- it's up to him to choose an OC and decide what direction to go at QB. It was his job to pitch a QB plan to the Pegula's, and it's now apparent that his plan involved bringing Roman on board.

Anyway, the one guy I'm thinking of that nobody is talking about is Miami backup QB Matt Moore From an article in 2011, http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-05-26/matt-moore-may-be-best-young-qb-on-free-agent-market

The Dolphins coaching staff, FO seem to have a lot of confidence in Moore. http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/5791/its-now-or-never-for-ryan-tannehill

When you are saying no one is taking about Moore, you mean outside of the multiple page thread on TSW that's been up for a month?

Well, we've talked about EJ, signing a FA, trading for a QB, and drafting a QB. Maybe a no QB formation, back to the old Wild Cat days...uh oh...

I'm sure he was referring to media speculation, which covers discussions of QB's on our roster, draft and FA.... I would bet that a trade is what he was referring to

Maybe Peyton Manning is considering telling the broncos to release him or he will retire? Honestly the only reason why he will keep playing is if he believes he can win a superbowl...after the two years the broncos just had does anyone really think they have a make-up of a team capable of winning it all?

....i dont think so

What better way to ride out your career than moving into the division of your rival and playing for a team that wants to play great D and run the ball. Keep him upright, minimize his # of attempts and let him manage the game rather than go out and win it.

I don't think this is likely at all, but the reasoning and rationale behind it is spot on. If Manning cares at all about his legacy in relation to Brady, this would be the best way to close the gap and keep himself in the discussion.

Especially if he said he'd do it for a very reasonable salary.

Edited by dubs

That's the beauty of a vague statement like that- you could argue darn near anyone as truth or simply say it didn't work out. Whether it's a result of him, or his source I'm not sure yet. Part of me simply wonders if he hates the idea of being yesterday's news just as much as he loves the attention. Until he proves some fresh chops that are semi specific I'm going with a bit of doubt.

What's the new spikes thing?

Maybe he's trying not to spill all the Bills' beans. You don't maintain sources by revealing everything you know.

The question with Brandon is does some other team have a great fit for his skillset?

OMG! Why is a marketing guy trying to play football?

Are you allowed to own a team in the NFL and the NHL?

Yes, unless you think the NFL missed that part during the $1.4 Billion transaction that occurred last year

Correct. What isn't allowed is owning an NFL franchise in one city and another major league team in a different NFL city. IOW, Pegula can own the Buffalo Bills and the Buffalo Sabres and he could theoretically own the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Buffalo Bills, but he couldn't own the Colorado Avalanche and the Buffalo Bills due to the Denver Broncos.

Correct. What isn't allowed is owning an NFL franchise in one city and another major league team in a different NFL city. IOW, Pegula can own the Buffalo Bills and the Buffalo Sabres and he could theoretically own the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Buffalo Bills, but he couldn't own the Colorado Avalanche and the Buffalo Bills due to the Denver Broncos.

Thanks for clearing that up!

:doh:

The funny thing is, no matter what direction they go in addressing the QB depth chart, there will be a faction of TBDers that support it to the death and another faction that curse the move and proclaim that the Bills are doomed and whomever they brought in is worse than Kyle Orton and the Bills should have traded for the 3rd string QB on the Saskatchewan Rough Riders.

The funny thing is, no matter what direction they go in addressing the QB depth chart, there will be a faction of TBDers that support it to the death and another faction that curse the move and proclaim that the Bills are doomed and whomever they brought in is worse than Kyle Orton and the Bills should have traded for the 3rd string QB on the Saskatchewan Rough Riders.

This is 100% true as was your point about being glad that we have a team to support. Good stuff!!

Yes, unless you think the NFL missed that part during the $1.4 Billion transaction that occurred last year

i don't know guys...are you sure this is right? I'm worried that the NFL may strip Terry & Kim of their ownership rights...