Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

Tyrod Taylor has been off the radar (except by me) and has not been beaten to death.

Summary:

- 4-Year backup in a good system to a Franchise QB - Joe Flacco, Ravens

- Not many NFL snaps largely because Flacco never gets hurt.

- Has a Super Bowl ring - not many of the other QB's discussed aside from Eli can say that..

- All time QB at VT

- Held clipboard, shut-up, and learned, without cycles on his body

- Nearly undefeated in Pre-season, FWIW

- Badly wants to start in the NFL - would sign for MUCH less than a "real" Vet

- 4.5 40 with great arm. Physically faster and more elusive than Russell Wilson - ran a faster 40 at the same combine than Kaepernick

- Would fit very well in a Rex/Ryan/Roman power-run first, throw second scheme - a la Niners with Kaepernick - because he himself is a legit running threat.

There's other QB's that fall into the category of not getting a shot yet because of playing behind a Top 5 QB - this one seems under the radar enough to mention in this thread again...

College stats (because there's almost nothing to go by in the pros):

Tyrod Taylor (free agent QB)
44 passing TDs
7017 total passing yds
57.2% completion rate
Kellen Moore (free agent QB)
142 passing TDs
14667 total passing yds
69.8% completion rate
I think you picked the wrong "flying under the radar" free agent QB.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They said the Bills were signing Incognito but they didn't say specifically for Guard. Maybe they will run the wildcat with all linemen and it will take the NFL by storm. A bunch of 300 pound guys just bulldozing down the field. And Incognito wouldn't even be the biggest jerk QB in the league but he might give Cutler a run for his money

Please God just get the guy who can throw the rock the best. We really don't need to be too smart here...build a bully and run the ball and play defense and when the time comes where we need to pick up yards in chunks just have someone who can throw it 30 yards to Sammy. If we do that we'll make the playoffs.

My impression from what moshermw posted is that Taylor is an athletic qb.

I was thinking what kind of qb would fit in Roman's system.

Kellen Moore is not athletic and has a weak arm.

Tom Brady and Joe Montana were once said to have weak arms also.

The big difference between Kellen Moore and Tyrod Taylor is that one guy knows how to throw the ball and the other guy knows how to run away from defenders. Moore literally threw 98 more TD passes than Taylor. Weak arm? Really?

Moore knows how to throw to holes and anticipate where the receiver will be. I know that the "group think" is that Moore doesn't have the athleticism or size or arm strength to compete in the NFL. The funny thing is that if people knew who the true "diamond in the rough" QBs were then Brady and Wilson would have never been severely over looked. It's not like the guy is going to cost a fortune. I certainly would put my money and roster spot on Moore rather than Taylor.

BTW, if Roman's system involves getting QBs who are better runners than passers then he needs a new system.

Tom Brady and Joe Montana were once said to have weak arms also.

The big difference between Kellen Moore and Tyrod Taylor is that one guy knows how to throw the ball and the other guy knows how to run away from defenders. Moore literally threw 98 more TD passes than Taylor. Weak arm? Really?

Moore knows how to throw to holes and anticipate where the receiver will be. I know that the "group think" is that Moore doesn't have the athleticism or size or arm strength to compete in the NFL. The funny thing is that if people knew who the true "diamond in the rough" QBs were then Brady and Wilson would have never been severely over looked. It's not like the guy is going to cost a fortune. I certainly would put my money and roster spot on Moore rather than Taylor.

BTW, if Roman's system involves getting QBs who are better runners than passers then he needs a new system.

Yes, really. Throwing for more TD's doesn't mean anything. He played in a system built for throwing the ball. Taylor did not. Neither one of them is probably the answer. They are players with some good traits who are good backups. But if I'm taking a flyer, I'm choosing Taylor based on Roman's previous history, and the Bills desire to run the ball. Moore has never been that athletic QB. All of a sudden it's going to present itself?

I would contend Roman doesn't need a new anything. His team was a perennial playoff team running a system that used the QB as a weapon in the running game. Of course a QB has to be able to throw at some point, but a stout D, and Kaepernick, teamed with the weapons around him was extrememly successful. Seems like the Bills have everything those Niners had (Great D, talent at skill positions and good special teams), They need the right QB.

Edited by purple haze

Yes, really. Throwing for more TD's doesn't mean anything. He played in a system built for throwing the ball. Taylor did not. Neither one of them is probably the answer. They are players with some good traits who are good backups. But if I'm taking a flyer, I'm choosing Taylor based on Roman's previous history, and the Bills desire to run the ball. Moore has never been that athletic QB. All of a sudden it's going to present itself?

I would contend Roman doesn't need a new anything. His team was a perennial playoff team running a system that used the QB as a weapon in the running game. Of course a QB has to be able to throw at some point, but a stout D, and Kaepernick, teamed with the weapons around him was extrememly successful. Seems like the Bills have everything those Niners had (Great D, talent at skill positions and good special teams), They need the right QB.

He threw 98 more TDs...LOL

He threw 98 more TDs...LOL

Tyrod was only the sole starter for 2 years - the other 2 he was part of a "2-headed monster" BS thing with Glennon (Sean not Mike).

Rushing TD's in 4 College seasons:

Tyrod - 24

Moore - 1

Meh. Bring them both in. Just don't think Tyrod should be overllooked by this staff given the style of O at least we, on this board think they willwant to riun.

Tyrod was only the sole starter for 2 years - the other 2 he was part of a "2-headed monster" BS thing with Glennon (Sean not Mike).

Rushing TD's in 4 College seasons:

Tyrod - 24

Moore - 1

Meh. Bring them both in. Just don't think Tyrod should be overllooked by this staff given the style of O at least we, on this board think they willwant to riun.

That many rushing TDs is more an indictment than a plus for an NFL QB's prospects IMO. RGIII, Newton and Vick all got hurt eventually to the point where they had to stop running like it was still college.

I went back and watched Kellen Moore's preseason game against the Patriots and the throws on his two TD drives were very impressive. He didn't throw it a lot (maybe 5 or 6 times?), but when he did he was on time and on target (only one pass was off the mark) especially on the TDs. It's amazing that this guy doesn't get any talk up considering how QB poor the NFL is right now. I really hope that the Bills sign Moore and put him in the mix.

That many rushing TDs is more an indictment than a plus for an NFL QB's prospects IMO. RGIII, Newton and Vick all got hurt eventually to the point where they had to stop running like it was still college.

I went back and watched Kellen Moore's preseason game against the Patriots and the throws on his two TD drives were very impressive. He didn't throw it a lot (maybe 5 or 6 times?), but when he did he was on time and on target (only one pass was off the mark) especially on the TDs. It's amazing that this guy doesn't get any talk up considering how QB poor the NFL is right now. I really hope that the Bills sign Moore and put him in the mix.

He can't throw an NFL ball, that's why. He's got a rag arm. You can get away with that in preseason.

For what it's worth, I just read a twitter post at #RexRyan that some girl named Sarah left about 10 minutes ago and she said Rex was just seen with Ben Rothlisberger at Zoer Valley Inn.

This place, or the one in British Columbia?

He can't throw an NFL ball, that's why. He's got a rag arm. You can get away with that in preseason.

You don't have to have a rocket arm if you are the most accurate QB on the field and you know when to throw it. Because his "rag" arm would only hurt if he's slightly late or isn't accurate.

At some point and time he will get his opportunity to play in a real game and we'll see if you're right. To my eyes, those throws were "NFL throws" and they looked 100 times better than "Kyle Orton" regular season throws circa 2014.

Who was he playing against when he made those throws? Would those throws have been as successful against a Revis, Sherman, Cromartie, Gilmore? He was a great college QB, but I don't see what you see. I'm open to being wrong though. If they brought him in, fine. I would hope he does what you believe he can.

I just cant see Washington trading him for that little. They would want to recoup some of the picks they lost in acquiring him and they would want to save face.

They have no leverage. They ain't getting anything of tremendous value. RG3 has great upside. He's also fallen out with two coaching staffs and been injured. They can hang up any hopes of recouping the magnitude of what they gave up. Best they would get is a 3rd and maybe another late round pick, and probably those two picks wouldn't come in the same draft.

If the Bills were trading with the Skins, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a couple players as oppossed to picks. McKelvin (Who I like a lot, but even if they don't get Revis, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cromartie), and/or Bradham could be options. (I like Bradham, but Kiko/Preston B. and Rex's rumored desire to have Spikes back doesn't leave much room. And they have depth with Powell). Skins need defensive help badly too. IF it were both, Skins would have to send a pick back with RG3.

If the Bills hire hit men to murder all of the NFL's starting QBs, about half the backups, about 15 college QBs, and about 5 high-schoolers, EJ Manuel will be the best QB around.

Stop it. He was bad against the Texans/Chargers. He looked pretty good against the Bears and Dolphins. He is not as bad as you, and others make him out to be.

Edited by purple haze