Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

If this source is in the know, then the direction has already been decided. It means they know their plan is either a done deal with a trade or They are all in with EJ. I will not be shocked if RG3 to Buffalo rumors start getting leaked.

Just seeing how Washington is distancing themselves from RG3 makes this more interesting.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this source is in the know, then the direction has already been decided. It means they know their plan is either a done deal with a trade or They are all in with EJ. I will not be shocked if RG3 to Buffalo rumors start getting leaked.

Just seeing how Washington is distancing themselves from RG3 makes this more interesting.

I hate this idea, but I'm working on getting used to it. It sounds plausible to me.

What is to hate and what are the other options you don't hate?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/11/19/chris-cooley-rgiii-was-so-bad-i-cant-assess-the-rest-of-the-redskins-offense/

In terms of players who are known to be available, I'd rather sign Hoyer or Tyrod Taylor than trade for this guy, although I don't expect that to be a popular opinion. Of course I will be supporting any quarterback the moment the Bills actually make the move, I hasten to add.

Edited by billsfaninmanhattan

It boggles my mind - and it's been boggled plenty already - the love expressed for RG3.5 here.

His NFL quarterbacking talents are horrendous. The only thing that made him a phenom in college and his rookie year were his wheels, and those are broken people. Broken. His Pro coaches think he sucks and I for one am not going to argue with them.

The only reason I brought up Kellen Moore's name is because people were starting to tout Tyrod Taylor and I was like...huh???? I know next to nothing about college football, but I can look at their college stats and come to the conclusion that Kellen Moore is many times a better QB than Tyrod Taylor as a "diamond in the rough" free agent option because Moore clearly has a real talent for throwing the football. It seems clear that Taylor is a run first QB. I just don't get why Bills fans want a running QB over someone who's shown passing talent in college and has performed very well in preseason games.

This board makes me laugh sometimes because I think it's all over the place. They want a franchise QB until they get Roman in here and now they want a QB that's looking to run first before he passes. If someone puts this for a vote, put me down for Kellen Moore over Tyrod Taylor. This is were the current state of QB options has taken us...LOL I think we can all agree that it's a sad state of affairs trying to come up with a solution to the QB problem.

Sad state of affairs indeed... Looking at their stats though doesn't tell the whole story. Boise State has had many QB's post "numbers" who were not NFL calibre, or difference making calibre. They ran a great system. Much like many QB's in college today post numbers, but aren't going to be pros, or a difference maker if they can stick.

I think most of us are just reading tea leaves based on Roman's history. Like I said in a previous post, neither of them are probably the answer, but in terms of Roman's offensive philosophy, one has to believe a QB with superior movement skills is what he would get more use out of right now. Of course if Tom Brady, or Payton Manning of a few years ago became free, or Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, etc. then we all want that guy. But if it's a circumstance of trying to build something that works for now, Roman's history is the best teacher.

I hate this idea, but I'm working on getting used to it. It sounds plausible to me.

Why? What do you prefer them to do? Everything is going to be a shot in the dark, even if they drafted a QB. At this point they are looking for potential upside. RGIII has more than anyone else available on the open market.

It boggles my mind - and it's been boggled plenty already - the love expressed for RG3.5 here.

His NFL quarterbacking talents are horrendous. The only thing that made him a phenom in college and his rookie year were his wheels, and those are broken people. Broken. His Pro coaches think he sucks and I for one am not going to argue with them.

His arm talent was phenomenal in college as well. His rookie year he made many plays in the passing game, starting with opening week in New Orleans (go youtube it). The QB landscape is filled with flawed players. FA's and guys that can be traded for have issues, or they wouldn't be available. In that case, get the one with most upside. RGIII is that guy, or maybe Bradford. It lessens from there. Every one of these QB's are "IF's" at this point, including EJ. Unfortunately, that's where the Bills are.

Sad state of affairs indeed...

His arm talent was phenomenal in college as well. His rookie year he made many plays in the passing game, starting with opening week in New Orleans (go youtube it). The QB landscape is filled with flawed players. FA's and guys that can be traded for have issues, or they wouldn't be available. In that case, get the one with most upside. RGIII is that guy, or maybe Bradford. It lessens from there. Every one of these QB's are "IF's" at this point, including EJ. Unfortunately, that's where the Bills are.

His NFL coaches say he doesn't look past his first read. He is confused by defenses. He doesn't have the wheels that can break open a game - including the passing game like he could in college.

We've seen a lot of QBs hyped. RG3 is one in a long line of them. Johnny Rehab, Kapernick, Geno and a host of others.

Color me skeptical when it comes to RG. I don't think he has what it takes to be a star in this league and he will set the franchise back if they bring him in. I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong. But, it's JMHO that he has little to no meaningful future in the League.

In today's NFL, accuracy is king. The short to medium passing game is what sets up the deep ball. Joe Montana certainly never had a gun, and in today's game one can point to Drew Brees as a great example of a QB with middling arm strength, smaller stature and not a running threat who is first ballot HOF.

EDIT: This is reference to Kellen Moore, who I think given a chance would be a very good QB in this league.

Edited by negativo

Bills will be running some type of Option offense, running game will drive this. EJ Manual is a option QB so I expect a QB with the same type of tools and the best man wins. So Tebow would fit, if RG3 is available so would he but he is a bit small. Tebow won two college championships and took Denver to a playoff win against Pittsburg. He is not a thrower but can make plays. He could balance out the Incognito pickup and make it look like the Bills are interested in players that can play football, regardless of character.

I just cant see Washington trading him for that little. They would want to recoup some of the picks they lost in acquiring him and they would want to save face.

Until he walks away for nothing in, what, a year?

A 2-3 might be more than they ever see holding him. Unless you have 2 teams that want him, the bidding won't soar. One of those teams could even be the Redskins, but it doesn't seem that way.

His NFL coaches say he doesn't look past his first read. He is confused by defenses. He doesn't have the wheels that can break open a game - including the passing game like he could in college.

We've seen a lot of QBs hyped. RG3 is one in a long line of them. Johnny Rehab, Kapernick, Geno and a host of others.

Color me skeptical when it comes to RG. I don't think he has what it takes to be a star in this league and he will set the franchise back if they bring him in. I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong. But, it's JMHO that he has little to no meaningful future in the League.

He might buy you a short term fix, but I'll agree he's not a guy I bet the house on now. If it was a 2-3 and we got 2 deep playoff runs before the wheels come off- It would be an interesting debate

When I get some time I'll make a thread on Taylor and why I think we might see him in a Bills uni this year. I promise it will make some sense. Maybe.

Here in Baltimore, I used to promote T Taylor to Ravens fans, riding them that they should be playing him instead of Flacco. That all changed after Flacco won Super Bowl MVP :doh: , but also because T Taylor has shown nothing in his limited opportunities to indicate he could be legit. Even Flacco's biggest detractors here (and there are many, a lot due to the big contract) don't want anything to do with Taylor.

Pittsburg needs to rebuild, Bills missed this QB by one pick. Bills give 2nd and 3rd pick this year, 1st and 2nd rounders in 2016 and land Ben Roethlisberger. Fits the bully type!

Even if Pittsburgh needs to rebuild, I seriously doubt they let Roethlisberger go without the QB of the future already in place. The Steelers have been good about having players in the pipe line to replace players they let walk away in FA.

That said, if your scenario played out, I believe you are giving up too much. It would probably be a combo of players and picks, but not three picks in the top 3 rounds for a 30 something QB.

I'm with you there. No to RG3 from my perspective, even though it does seem like he's a candidate from what we're hearing. I didn't pay enough attention to the locker room issues with the guy in DC, but I'll echo what others have already said: he's broken. He doesn't know what he's doing in the NFL and he has the build of a slender reed. There is a version of RG3 that might have been good, even great, in the NFL but that version was murdered by Shanny and Co during his rookie year.

My issue with RG3 has always been his slight frame. I'm genuinely afraid for him in games sometimes.

100%, it's my biggest critique about the guy coming to Buffalo as well, he's not built for the NFL the way he plays. He's tiny.