All Things Incognito (Richie returns, signs contract)

RalphOP83

I read the entire transcript of texts between Richie and Jon Martin...was there language that some might find offensive? Yes. Did they both talk about banging women and getting shitfaced? Yes.

Not sure what the issue was, but Incognito served his suspension. Based on some of the things Martin said, he should have been suspended as well. It was locker room banter gone public.

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fwiw peter King likes the signing, believing he deserves one more chance after 1.5 yrs out of football, and on a very tight leash. If you want to wade through a bunch of SB and cheating stuff, it's in there under 10 Things I think I think -

@SI_PeterKing: Good morning everyone. MMQB is up. http://t.co/wD58OkzxOC...

I'll trust rumblefish over Peter King. Thank you very much.

I read the entire transcript of texts between Richie and Jon Martin...was there language that some might find offensive? Yes. Did they both talk about banging women and getting shitfaced? Yes.

Not sure what the issue was, but Incognito served his suspension. Based on some of the things Martin said, he should have been suspended as well. It was locker room banter gone public.

i agree he deserved a suspension and served his suspension. For me the concern is based more on his pattern of transgressions, though none are worth a blacklist on their own, when you put them all together if makes it look like he's just a bad guy and/or has anger management/drug issues. He did go to treatment so not sure where he is right now but I see it as a risk, but am fine with it considering they can easily get rid of him if he's a problem. If he has made self improvements, it is a very good signing. They have 7 months to determine that.

Fwiw peter King likes the signing, believing he deserves one more chance after 1.5 yrs out of football, and on a very tight leash. If you want to wade through a bunch of SB and cheating stuff, it's in there under 10 Things I think I think -

@SI_PeterKing: Good morning everyone. MMQB is up. http://t.co/wD58OkzxOC...

Here's a direct linky to page 5 where the RI article is for those who don't want to wade through four pages of PK fellating on Tom Brady* http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/09/tom-brady-super-bowl-49-nfl/5/

can't wait to hear Kim Pegula explain this away....

what an embarrassment !!

The NFL investigation accused Incognito and two former teammates of a pattern of harassment that included racial and homophobic slurs. The report said Martin was taunted with “sexually explicit remarks about his sister and mother.” An Asian-American trainer was subjected to “racially derogatory language.” he was accused of fondling a female volunteer in a drunken episode at a Dolphins charity golf tournament three years ago.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/jerry-sullivan/incognito-deserves-another-shot-at-nfl-career-20150208

but hey, let's look the other way, richie is a huge upgrade at a position of need. he makes us better.

could only imagine the comments had NE or the Jets given richie another chance.

Edited by papazoid

what an embarrassment !!

The NFL investigation accused Incognito and two former teammates of a pattern of harassment that included racial and homophobic slurs. The report said Martin was taunted with “sexually explicit remarks about his sister and mother.” An Asian-American trainer was subjected to “racially derogatory language.” he was accused of fondling a female volunteer in a drunken episode at a Dolphins charity golf tournament three years ago.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/jerry-sullivan/incognito-deserves-another-shot-at-nfl-career-20150208

but hey, let's look the other way, richie is a huge upgrade at a position of need. he makes us better.

There's nothing to explain away...at all.

He reportedly met with the owners, they (presumably) told him what's expected of him, and they're giving him a chance.

Not sure what you expect from her/them...

what an embarrassment !!

The NFL investigation accused Incognito and two former teammates of a pattern of harassment that included racial and homophobic slurs. The report said Martin was taunted with sexually explicit remarks about his sister and mother. An Asian-American trainer was subjected to racially derogatory language. he was accused of fondling a female volunteer in a drunken episode at a Dolphins charity golf tournament three years ago.

He made racial and homophobic slurs?

BAN HIM!

How can I face my friends with a football team that hired a guy who once used racial and homophobic slurs? For shame.

He made racial and homophobic slurs?

BAN HIM!

How can I face my friends with a football team that hired a guy who once used racial and homophobic slurs? For shame.

He's the only one, so...as a matter of fact the league instituted the 15 yard penalty for racial slurs for him alone, so they will be watching him closely!

what an embarrassment !!

did you even read the text message exchange? educate yourself before you take such a stance. the exchange between the two players was nothing but normal locker room banter. the "sexually explicit remarks" and homophobic slurs had a humorous undertone. of course it was completely crude and politically incorrect but show me some 20 something year olds that don't talk like that with their friends. from the text messages it was clear Incognito and Martin were friends. they would text each other all of the time and ask to hang out and go to the movies or go to dinner etc. there were explicit things said on both ends but neither intended it to be public knowledge. after reading the texts i have a whole new understanding of the relationship and situation and i feel like Incognito definitely deserves a chance to play in this league

texts--> https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/ritojm2.pdf

did you even read the text message exchange? educate yourself before you take such a stance. the exchange between the two players was nothing but normal locker room banter. the "sexually explicit remarks" and homophobic slurs had a humorous undertone. of course it was completely crude and politically incorrect but show me some 20 something year olds that don't talk like that with their friends. from the text messages it was clear Incognito and Martin were friends. they would text each other all of the time and ask to hang out and go to the movies or go to dinner etc. there were explicit things said on both ends but neither intended it to be public knowledge. after reading the texts i have a whole new understanding of the relationship and situation and i feel like Incognito definitely deserves a chance to play in this league

i think he was getting at Kim specifically based on the incident where he pretty extensively groped and harassed a woman, and the racial slurs used towards the (asian) team trainer in person.

Things I don't care about with incognito:

Death threats - most people in a heated exchange have uttered something like this. Usually at a younger age but verbal threats of physical harm are far down the list of things I worry about

Sexually explicit comments - Get a group of guys together (especially meat heads in there 20s and the conversation will quickly turn to women and what they would do to them.

The bullying scandal - I still can't grasp a 6'5" 320 lb man being bullied.

Things I do care about:

The penalties - for obvious reasons

The sexual assault incident - taking words to the next level is not acceptable. Who knows what really happened but I am sure something happened

Drugs - always a concern. Drug use when you have that much opportunity in front of you, just screams poor decision maker.

What I like about this signing:

There is zero risk - if he keeps his nose clean and performs, great! If he is a knucklehead or sucks, he is gone. No harm in looking.

i think he was getting at Kim specifically based on the incident where he pretty extensively groped and harassed a woman, and the racial slurs used towards the (asian) team trainer in person.

Ok i see that now. I feel like everyone has a friend like Richie. They are fun to hang out with on occasion but sometimes they go a little too far. I don't think he's the terrible guy he is being portrayed to be. I think he just goes a little too far trying to be "cool" and he's just a dumb meat head who thinks he is being funny. Knowing guys like that allow me to take a different point of view on the situation. He's just trying to fit in and deep down he's probably a nice guy. I have no problems whatsoever with this signing and I think he's fired up to prove everybody wrong and he's going to be a beast on the inside this year

Many props to your "Source". :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: I will own my words and now eat crow for doubting you... :bag: :bag: :bag:

I still refer back to my 2nd comment...did he give you the winning lotto numbers. :-)

Now, it appears we have a few new posters to this board with reliable inside information.

Mods: Maybe the site should add an icon after a persons screen name that indicates that they have a proven reliable inside source.

That's an excellent idea. A little gold star. You get one for every validated scoop.

So the Buffalo paper & Peter King say that this guy should have a "second chance". Really? I've waited a few days since his signing to think about this. Here's what sticks out in my mind. If this guy had a "normal" job, like you & I, and it was discovered that we did only half of what this guy did in Miami, we'd be out the door and the only job we might be considered for is pushing a broom or flipping burgers part time. But it's because he has a certain football skill level, in a sport America craves, that he gets a 3rd and a 4th chance. He screwed up while at college, while with the Rams, Buffalo didn't want him but for 3 games, and in Miami......well you know the details. In short, if this were you or I or anyone else, we'd be canned, but only because this moron can play a little football, Oh, he deserves a Second chance. Lewis Black would have a field day with this!

So the Buffalo paper & Peter King say that this guy should have a "second chance". Really? I've waited a few days since his signing to think about this. Here's what sticks out in my mind. If this guy had a "normal" job, like you & I, and it was discovered that we did only half of what this guy did in Miami, we'd be out the door and the only job we might be considered for is pushing a broom or flipping burgers part time. But it's because he has a certain football skill level, in a sport America craves, that he gets a 3rd and a 4th chance. He screwed up while at college, while with the Rams, Buffalo didn't want him but for 3 games, and in Miami......well you know the details. In short, if this were you or I or anyone else, we'd be canned, but only because this moron can play a little football, Oh, he deserves a Second chance. Lewis Black would have a field day with this!

Not at all true. The next day you could start applying at competitors. Then when they called to do a reference check your former employer would be able to give dates of employment and position title. You would not be blackballed for a year, have your name dragged through the mud in the media, or suffer any long term consequences other than being unemployed until you found a job. Employers hands are tied anymore. There is no "you shouldn't hire that guy" as it would result in a lawsuit.

texts--> https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/ritojm2.pdf

This. I had never read the text exchange before my comments above. He texted Martin as a buddy. Told him where they were all meeting up. Made plans to watch games on TV together. Set plans to go on vacation together. Tried to get girls to come over for some fun. The racially charged and homophobic language started several months before Martin left the team and Martin gave back as much as he took.

I was on the "he should be suspended" bandwagon, but this exchange between RI and "the victim" is really weak (IMO).

Welcome to the Bills Richie!! Keep your nose (and the pocket) clean.

Edited by BringBackFergy

Yeah, the texts do more to exonerate RI more than anything, while the groping was obviously a result of his drunkenness, which hopefully has either been addressed by RI or in his contract. As for the Asian-American trainer, I don't know the context and if the trainer even took offense to what they were saying.