All Things Incognito (Richie returns, signs contract)

RalphOP83

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

valid points John C, but no way no how is the new what's his name HC in the same class as Levy, and when I say class, Levy had it and it showed, the other, never had it and never will, the apple doesn't fall from the tree and his family is as class-less as it comes

valid points John C, but no way no how is the new what's his name HC in the same class as Levy, and when I say class, Levy had it and it showed, the other, never had it and never will, the apple doesn't fall from the tree and his family is as class-less as it comes

You don't even know the name of the Bills HC...

Even when he was at his best he wasn't great. Not an upgrade. Won't play in season.

Not an upgrade? Are you smoking crack? Who is better? Urbik? Pears? Williams? No, No, and No.

I bet he will be a starter from day 1.

IMHO, Rex is the first A-List HC The Bills have had since Marv. The only others were Chuck Knox and Saban. I'll give Wade a B+.

The best HC in the franchise's history is in my opinion Chuck Knox. The self-effacing HOF Levy was the right head coach at the right time for the collection of players that Polian assembled. He masterfully handled the large personalities in the Kelly/Thurmn/Reed/Bruce era. From a football standpoint Marv was not very innovative. He delegated a lot of authority to the offensive and defensive coordinators. Marv's great talent was in handling the egos of players and get them to buy into the team concpet.

There are two factors that should be considered.

The first, is whether RI can still play at a high level after being out of the game for 1.5 years. He's also 32, so age is a question. This is the unknown heading into camp, but it's hard to argue that RI isn't better G than anyone on the Bills roster right now, and is probably as good of a G who will be available in free agency. So from a playing standpoint, it's hard to see how Bills didn't improve a glaring weak spot on the roster.

The second factor, and the most sensitive one is what kind of person did the Bills just sign? Has he cleaned up his act and will he be a distraction? RI did not get into as much trouble as he did in college nor in St. Louis. Has the year off chastened him? I also think the Martin experience has been overblown, because he was clearly following Philbin's wishes to get Martin back in the fold. I don't think Philbin specifically told RI to harass Martin, but the message was there, and as the vet leader of the OL Incognito followed it. Crude, coarse? Yup. But so are 90% of football players.

So Levy had class when he went 31-42 as HC with the KC Chiefs and was fired? He had class when he allowed his players out drinking the night before the SB? How about the bickering Bills?

Don't worry the cancer Martin isn't here to cry about it.

That issue was separate from the drinking. And was overblown.

There are two factors that should be considered.

The first, is whether RI can still play at a high level after being out of the game for 1.5 years. He's also 32, so age is a question. This is the unknown heading into camp, but it's hard to argue that RI isn't better G than anyone on the Bills roster right now, and is probably as good of a G who will be available in free agency. So from a playing standpoint, it's hard to see how Bills didn't improve a glaring weak spot on the roster.

The second factor, and the most sensitive one is what kind of person did the Bills just sign? Has he cleaned up his act and will he be a distraction? RI did not get into as much trouble as he did in college nor in St. Louis. Has the year off chastened him? I also think the Martin experience has been overblown, because he was clearly following Philbin's wishes to get Martin back in the fold. I don't think Philbin specifically told RI to harass Martin, but the message was there, and as the vet leader of the OL Incognito followed it. Crude, coarse? Yup. But so are 90% of football players.

Unless he forgot how to play OG, the year and a half off should only help him since it's a year and a half less of wear and tear. If he's kept in reasonable shape, he should be fine come training camp. As for how he'll behave, again with a 1-year deal, he'll be on his best behavior for sure.

That issue was separate from the drinking. And was overblown.

Unless he forgot how to play OG, the year and a half off should only help him since it's a year and a half less of wear and tear. If he's kept in reasonable shape, he should be fine come training camp. As for how he'll behave, again with a 1-year deal, he'll be on his best behavior for sure.

He might have less hits than the average 32 year old but 32 is still old in nfl years. If he starts week 1 Id take a totally random guess that he'd be one of the 20-25 oldest OL starters in the league? And probably not a ton fewer starts really when compared to guys that had time on the bench or injuries

Not trying to be contentious, but Marv wasn't an A list HC when he was hired. I'd agree Knox was.

Point well taken, but he was an A list HC when he stepped down.

Lots of HCs do better in their second gig than they did in their first.

I'm hopeful Rex falls into that category, and with this FO squarely behind him, I have every reason to believe he will.