All Things Incognito (Richie returns, signs contract)

RalphOP83

A little different than an ACL in that it was two years and he will be one of the older lineman in the league

Out of all the positions on the OL don't guards have the longest life? Ruben played into his late 30's, and didn't Ray Brown until nearly 40?

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I stated in a prior post both HCs had flawed rosters. If Rex's roster was so dismal then why did it win 8 games the prior year? Rex had a good defense as did Marrone. And without a doubt Marrone had the worst OL in the NFL and his qb situation was as problematic as the Jets' situation.

What you and the other critics of Marrone are doing is not giving him credit for his wins while not giving Rex the blame for his numerous losses. Whether you like Marrone or not it is indisputable that he had better control of his team than the rambunctious and tattooed HC of the Jets did of his. Marrone toughly handled some of the problem players on his team while Rex was stampeded by the divisive players on his team.

By any measure Marrone outperformed Rex over the past two years. That is what the record convincingly demonstrates.

Marrone's specialty is OL, and he had the worst unit in the NFL, Rex's specialty is Defense, which performed admirably despite losing quality talent throughout the years.

The way I see it, the past is in the past. It's a low risk, high reward move. Pegula did not get to be a Billionaire by being afraid to take risks. If Incognito returns to pro bowl form and stays out of trouble, its a huge win. If he becomes an issue in the locker room, in the community or on the field, they cut him. Nothing lost. They can even take credit for trying to give him a second chance. I read somewhere that Eric Wood is friends with him. Even if they are acquaintances, I would imagine the Pegulas/Rex/Whaley spoke with Wood to get his feedback before making this move. If Wood is OK with the signing, I am too.

As I stated in a prior post both HCs had flawed rosters. If Rex's roster was so dismal then why did it win 8 games the prior year? Rex had a good defense as did Marrone. And without a doubt Marrone had the worst OL in the NFL and his qb situation was as problematic as the Jets' situation.

What you and the other critics of Marrone are doing is not giving him credit for his wins while not giving Rex the blame for his numerous losses. Whether you like Marrone or not it is indisputable that he had better control of his team than the rambunctious and tattooed HC of the Jets did of his. Marrone toughly handled some of the problem players on his team while Rex was stampeded by the divisive players on his team.

By any measure Marrone outperformed Rex over the past two years. That is what the record convincingly demonstrates.

Just for kicks, swap NJ kicker for carpenter and then compare the records.

Marrone's specialty is OL, and he had the worst unit in the NFL, Rex's specialty is Defense, which performed admirably despite losing quality talent throughout the years.

I don't care what a coach's specialty is no level of coaching is going to compensate for the garbage on the field.

Marrone's team scored 43 and 38 in victories last year against the Rex coached defenses.

He didn't extort 15k from Martin per a teammate and the "bullying" has context

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/07/richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-dolphins-lydon-murtha/

My bad, it was $10,000, they claimed it was joke "fine" but Martin paid it and Incognito didn't refuse to accept the check.

Can "context" excuse his rubbing his golf club on the vagina of a female volunteer at a celebrity golf tournament, knocking her sun glasses off with it and rubbing his junk on her backsides while yelling "let it rain, let it rain!" and emptying a bottle of water in her face? Or explain his dismissal from Nebraska? His misdemeanor assault conviction? His dismissal from Oregon? His being dropped by the Rams? Or the Dolphins dropping him as soon as they were played the voicemail of his threatening Martin and his family? This guy has a longer rap sheet than Lynch ever had and we couldn't wait to run him out of town. This isn't about having a bully on the team who will give us a much needed edge in attitude. Nor is it about redemption. The guy is just not worth it and every team he has ever been on has ultimately reached that conclusion, without exception, four times.

Out of all the positions on the OL don't guards have the longest life? Ruben played into his late 30's, and didn't Ray Brown until nearly 40?

pat williams played to nearly 40 at DT but im not penciling it in as a gimme for others. yea, he probably has some time left but 2 years out and returning at 32 is still likely a process, and we dont know whether he will be able to complete it.

Even if you accept the comparisons you make, what is the point? Marrone left. Of all the candidates for the job with previous HC experience, tell me which one DIDNT have similarly sub-par seasons at the end?

your point?

Gee, I don't know. Thread entitled "All things Incognito...." discussions therein about whether it was a good idea or a bad idea to a sign him. Some defending him, some excusing him, some not. And here I go, posting facts about one if his most notorious incidents, one which resulted in a conviction for misdemeanor assault. What was I thinking?

Just for kicks, swap NJ kicker for carpenter and then compare the records.

There are a lot of "what if" situtions that happened during the season. In the end it doesn't matter. What matters is the outcome. You are doing what the many other Marrone critics are doing: not crediting DM for his wins while not holding accountable RR for his losses. That is a double standard that is unfair. Your record is your record. You own it whether you like it or not.

The central point in my commentary regarding Rex is that there is nothing special about his record. He is at best an average HC who has a more likeable personality than the more successful HC that he is replacing.

Marrone won 9 games with this roster (well, 8, since it's really difficult to count the win at NE* in W17). Let's see what Rex does in 2015.

My bad, it was $10,000, they claimed it was joke "fine" but Martin paid it and Incognito didn't refuse to accept the check.

Can "context" excuse his rubbing his golf club on the vagina of a female volunteer at a celebrity golf tournament, knocking her sun glasses off with it and rubbing his junk on her backsides while yelling "let it rain, let it rain!" and emptying a bottle of water in her face? Or explain his dismissal from Nebraska? His misdemeanor assault conviction? His dismissal from Oregon? His being dropped by the Rams? Or the Dolphins dropping him as soon as they were played the voicemail of his threatening Martin and his family? This guy has a longer rap sheet than Lynch ever had and we couldn't wait to run him out of town. This isn't about having a bully on the team who will give us a much needed edge in attitude. Nor is it about redemption. The guy is just not worth it and every team he has ever been on has ultimately reached that conclusion, without exception, four times.

The Dolphins cut him because of media pressure and backlash. He was liked by the coaches and was a team captain. He was asked to toughen up Martin by the coaches. He was used as a scapegoat to make the "bullying" crap go away. He is a class A jerk, without a doubt. He is also a good football player who other teams were considering signing. Like I've said before, its a low risk move. Maybe he is good and stays out of trouble, if not, he's gone and nothing lost.

Even if you accept the comparisons you make, what is the point? Marrone left. Of all the candidates for the job with previous HC experience, tell me which one DIDNT have similarly sub-par seasons at the end?

Why limit yourself to retread HCs with losing records? Why not open up the candidate pool to the many good coordinators such as the one from Seattle?

how is it extortion if Martin committed to the trip, the trip was paid for, Martin decided not to go, they asked for his share anyway since it was already paid, and he gave it to them?

To be clear I'm not excusing him for anything, but your list you posted (sans link) is already well known, and there is context that you didn't include.

There are a lot of "what if" situtions that happened during the season. In the end it doesn't matter. What matters is the outcome. You are doing what the many other Marrone critics are doing: not crediting DM for his wins while not holding accountable RR for his losses. That is a double standard that is unfair. Your record is your record. You own it whether you like it or not.

The central point in my commentary regarding Rex is that there is nothing special about his record. He is at best an average HC who has a more likeable personality than the more successful HC that he is replacing.

There's nothing special about taking the Jets to the AFCCG twice in his first 2 years and not having a two losing seasons until last year out of 6? Really?

And Marrone gets little credit for winning when it was mostly due to defense and ST's, and his area of expertise was a tire fire.

Edited by Doc

I'm not giving Marrone as much credit for the wins and I'm not giving Rex as much credit for the losses because one of the two had his specialty unit performing well, the other didn't.

Folk contributed to at least 2 losses for Jets, quote Carpenter should be credited for about half of Bills wins. Swap the two and compare the records. It's an easy what if, based on a kicking play.

You also cannot argue that Bills had much better talent across the board than the Jets.

Marrone won 9 games with this roster (well, 8, since it's really difficult to count the win at NE* in W17). Let's see what Rex does in 2015.

Whether the win total was 8 or 9 it was still immensely better than Rex's record with the Jets last year. The Bills record in Marrone's first year was 6-10. He was rebuilding the roster. The next year he won 9 games (your point about the NE game is fair) so let's say 8 and discount the last victory. Whether Marrone is liked or not it is fair to say that his team was on an upward trajectory. He got 9 wins (officially) with a very flawed offense, especially on the OL. He deserves to be given credit for his overall performance instead of having his respectable record be distorted and diminished. That is my basic point with my commentary on this subject.

My opinion is much different from most others. I consider Marrone to be a much superior HC than the self-promoting big mouth from Jersey. It's not about personalites, it's about the performance. The record speaks for itself.

I'm not giving Marrone as much credit for the wins and I'm not giving Rex as much credit for the losses because one of the two had his specialty unit performing well, the other didn't.

Folk contributed to at least 2 losses for Jets, quote Carpenter should be credited for about half of Bills wins. Swap the two and compare the records. It's an easy what if, based on a kicking play.

You also cannot argue that Bills had much better talent across the board than the Jets.

Special teams are an important component for teams. They very often are factors in the success of a team. So because his special teams were mediocre compared to the Bills then Rex shouldn't be held accountabel? That makes no sense to me.

Your record is your record. Making excuses don't alter the record.

The Bills had far better overall talent on defense and ST's and that's what carried them. On offense, Geno was a turnover machine for many of the games and Vick is just bad.