This quote, more than anything, reflects change at OBD...

eball

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are words you have never heard any former Bills coach utter in the history of the franchise.

Well, since Rex's mouth never seems to close, I suspect we'll hear a lot of words never uttered by a former Bills coach.

Personally, I like the Chuck Knox approach. But the media/TSW beast needs to be fed in the 24/7 world we live in, so be it...

It's becoming increasingly difficult to remain cynical about our future.

i know! Sucks donnit?

Wow! If it was his choice to leave I don't understand why we would pay him. He walked away from the job so he shouldn't get paid

it wasn't his choice. Rex cited philosophical differences.

Because Schwartz was fired by Detroit, he may still be owed money by them. When the Bills released him, they may no longer owe him anything, and the obligation to pay him goes back to Detroit. Wouldn't that be nice?

They really did not fire him. He's a great dc, but he and Ryan decided to part ways.

If we had a serviceable qb taking the snaps last year this team would have been in the playoffs, even with a very vulnerable OL.Terry Pegula is taking a different approach compared to the prior owner. He is investing in staff. If your staff is making big money decisons on players and then coaching them it makes a lot of sense. The historical problem for the Bills is not so much that they didn't spend enough money on players but that they didn't do it very wisely. The over-sized contracts for mediocre players such as Derick Dockery and Langston Walker are illustrations of that pointAs you noted in your post the biggest challenge for Whaley this offseason is finding the best veteran qb on the market and then have EJ compete for the starter's job.This is someone else's good thought but Kellen Moore intrigues me very much. Accurate passer who knows how to read defenses. He is relatively short in stature and has at best an adequate arm but he would be an interesting player to add to the qb mix.

This is a good take. No question that with a serviceable QB the Bills are 11-5 in 2014 and in the playoffs. I don't know about Kellen Moore but EJ needs competition. I'm hopeful that EJ can develop but not optimistic. Would love to get Bradford if that was somehow possible.

Terry is also paying Marrone 4 mill to coach the jagoff OL and Schwartz 3mill this year and 3 mill next year to sit on the coach.

Because he was able to upgrade by doing so

This is a classic example of how Pegula's money helps this team. I (and others) was/were trying to make this clear to a whole lot of posters on here right after Pegula bought the team who couldn't seem to wrap their heads around this concept.

It's not all about "Cap" for God's sake.

Edited by Stopthepain

Looking at the coaching roster, form the most part, Roman and Kromer are the only significant staff members (coordinators or position coaches) who weren't already on the Bills staff or came from the Jets with Rex after he was fired.

Crossman, Henderson: Bills

Thurman, Dunbar, Lai, Lee, McDonald, April3: Jets

As for "Senior Offensive Advisors", Palmer was out of the league for a few years and Hostler was a position coach with the Ravens.

Given all off this, I would think Roman was the only one that may have cost Pegula some "deep pockets" money. I doubt the Jets guys cost much more than the guys they were replacing (some may have had at least this year off if Rex didn't catch on with the Bills).

The question is, is that $6 million coming from the Lions or the Bills. This post seems to imply that its the Lions:

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?506121-Jim-Schwartz-contract%28s%29

it seems like (just from reading this) that it will be the same payout from last year in 2015. Bills pay him 3m and Lions pay the balance of the 6.1 they owe him because of the offset. Next year he will make 3m from the Bills. Am I reading that right? Not bad.

Looking at the coaching roster, form the most part, Roman and Kromer are the only significant staff members (coordinators or position coaches) who weren't already on the Bills staff or came from the Jets with Rex after he was fired.

As for "Senior Offensive Advisors", Palmer was out of the league for a few years and Hostler was a position coach with the Ravens.

Given all off this, I would think Roman was the only one that may have cost Pegula some "deep pockets" money. I doubt the Jets guys cost much more than the guys they were replacing (some may have had at least this year off if Rex didn't catch on with the Bills).

Palmer had a similar role with the 49ers last year. But I don't know how much he cost.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to remain cynical about our future. I am now moving from cynical to skeptical, and who knows what tomorrow brings? Bring on FA!

You are moving up the ladder of Buffalo Bills fandom, as we all are. Cynical to skeptical is just the first rung.

1. Cynical

2. Skeptical

3. Ray of hope: 'we're not DOOMED!'

4. Grudging acknowledgment of potential success

5. Sense that we are, in fact, going places

6. Cool confidence: 'We got this.'

7. Wide Right.

kj

You are moving up the ladder of Buffalo Bills fandom, as we all are. Cynical to skeptical is just the first rung.

1. Cynical

2. Skeptical

7. Wide Right.

kj

That's just foul

1. Cynical

2. Skeptical

7. Wide Right.

kj

Humf, it's widely known that there are only six steps to fandom and I will accept your first six!

“I have all-stars on my coaching staff,” Ryan said. “Fortunately, my owner has deep pockets, because we had to dish out. We’re going to get this thing done, and that’s what I’m looking forward to.”

Those are words you have never heard any former Bills coach utter in the history of the franchise.

Coaching is king in the NFL -- everybody has talent.

Find a serviceable QB -- EJ or otherwise -- and this team is going places.

I'm so confused.

We're thrilled to have Rex because we think he's better than his record and he got screwed on talent by the NYJ FO

Now I read coaching is king and everybody has talent.

So does that mean Rex is really a mediocre coach because everyone has talent?

Coaching is not king, quarterbacking is king. Matt Ryan made it to the NFC championship game with Mike Smith as his hc and anyone who watched hard knocks this year could see that Mike Smith is a complete strunz. Now could a better coach have gotten them over the top? Maybe. But they don't get that far without a qb even with Bill belichick as hc.

I'm so confused.

We're thrilled to have Rex because we think he's better than his record and he got screwed on talent by the NYJ FO

Now I read coaching is king and everybody has talent.

So does that mean Rex is really a mediocre coach because everyone has talent?

not necessarily, you might be mixing opinions of different posters.

If we had a serviceable qb taking the snaps last year this team would have been in the playoffs, even with a very vulnerable OL.

Terry Pegula is taking a different approach compared to the prior owner. He is investing in staff. If your staff is making big money decisons on players and then coaching them it makes a lot of sense. The historical problem for the Bills is not so much that they didn't spend enough money on players but that they didn't do it very wisely. The over-sized contracts for mediocre players such as Derick Dockery and Langston Walker are illustrations of that point

As you noted in your post the biggest challenge for Whaley this offseason is finding the best veteran qb on the market and then have EJ compete for the starter's job.

This is someone else's good thought but Kellen Moore intrigues me very much. Accurate passer who knows how to read defenses. He is relatively short in stature and has at best an adequate arm but he would be an interesting player to add to the qb mix.

I've been saying kellen moore for a while now. Start a thread about it and watch 70% of the people exclaim "nooooo" like they did with Chase Daniel. Like Hooper says to quint after he questions hoopers idea to go down in the shark cage when the orca is sinking, "you got any better ideas!?!"

Rex may have gotten his guys some premium deals in general too, knowing the pockets ran deep

Coaching is not king, quarterbacking is king. Matt Ryan made it to the NFC championship game with Mike Smith as his hc and anyone who watched hard knocks this year could see that Mike Smith is a complete strunz. Now could a better coach have gotten them over the top? Maybe. But they don't get that far without a qb even with Bill belichick as hc.

I'm of the opinion that building a football team can be over simplified. I mean you do need an O-Line and Playmakers and Pass Rushers and Run Stuffers and Coverage guys and........