This quote, more than anything, reflects change at OBD...

eball

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“I have all-stars on my coaching staff,” Ryan said. “Fortunately, my owner has deep pockets, because we had to dish out. We’re going to get this thing done, and that’s what I’m looking forward to.”

Those are words you have never heard any former Bills coach utter in the history of the franchise.

Coaching is king in the NFL -- everybody has talent.

Find a serviceable QB -- EJ or otherwise -- and this team is going places.

Rex had all-stars on his coaching staff in NJ, how did that work out? I think it's often the case that coaches get fired because they don't have enough talent on the field. GMs would rather blame the coaches then themselves.

But I'm with you half-way on this. The Bills have tended to be cheap with coaches. It's good to see Pegula open up his bank account to bring in Rex and Roman especially.

If his money can attract good players and good coaches both - we're going to the Super Bowl.

Those Jets staffers weren't in "premium deal" position once Rex was fired...

"If you want me you will get me the guys I want at the price it takes...."

Might've gotten some guys that he wanted to throw a bone to a little extra than they would've found on the street or if rex went somewhere thriftier was my point

“I have all-stars on my coaching staff,” Ryan said. “Fortunately, my owner has deep pockets, because we had to dish out. We’re going to get this thing done, and that’s what I’m looking forward to.”

Those are words you have never heard any former Bills coach utter in the history of the franchise.

Coaching is king in the NFL -- everybody has talent.

Find a serviceable QB -- EJ or otherwise -- and this team is going places.

Coaching is critical but Talent and QB trumps all, Many teams don't have a lot of talent like most of ours the past 15 years.

Although a bad coach can squander good talent (Wannstedt)

"If you want me you will get me the guys I want at the price it takes...."

Might've gotten some guys that he wanted to throw a bone to a little extra than they would've found on the street or if rex went somewhere thriftier was my point

Seeing as the "got" Rex at a middle of the road price, his unemployed former staff didn't come "at any price".

Tossing them a little extra than on the street is probably correct, but some of these guys wouldn't have been hired at their same jobs, i bet. Doubt our new DC would be in that job elsewhere next season.

Ahhh....not so fast. It remains to be seen if this new D scheme will outperform Schwartz D.....I am thinking thats a really tall order for Ryan and company....4th in the league is really high.....they re favorites to finish lower than 4 IMHO. Now, your argument on the head coach does make some sense.....but not on the D coordinator.

So.....Rex Ryan routinely has top 10 defenses......

Lets say they dont finish 4th......lets say they finish......say.......8th.....

Now lets say our O goes from abismal to say.......13th

You wont even notice the change is level of D

I've been saying kellen moore for a while now. Start a thread about it and watch 70% of the people exclaim "nooooo" like they did with Chase Daniel. Like Hooper says to quint after he questions hoopers idea to go down in the shark cage when the orca is sinking, "you got any better ideas!?!"

Identifying a good qb fit in a lackluster qb market is Whaley's biggest challenge this offseason. I'm very open to any veteran qb candidate. Anyone who expects an elite qb to walk into Bills' premises this offseason is deluding themselves.

If the Bills can get a lower mid-range type starter this team will be in better shape than last year's team when they entered the season. If Orton would have played at his career average level this team would have been in the playoffs, even with its porous OL.

I'm open to a Chase Daniels or Kellon Moore caliber of qb added to the qb competition. If EJ can't beat out those types of players for a starting job then that is a testament to his talent level. The bottom line is that I will be willing to accept a Fitz type qb and arm who is an accurate mid-range passer.

Identifying a good qb fit in a lackluster qb market is Whaley's biggest challenge this offseason. I'm very open to any veteran qb candidate. Anyone who expects an elite qb to walk into Bills' premises this offseason is deluding themselves.

If the Bills can get a lower mid-range type starter this team will be in better shape than last year's team when they entered the season. If Orton would have played at his career average level this team would have been in the playoffs, even with its porous OL.

I'm open to a Chase Daniels or Kellon Moore caliber of qb added to the qb competition. If EJ can't beat out those types of players for a starting job then that is a testament to his talent level. The bottom line is that I will be willing to accept a Fitz type qb and arm who is an accurate mid-range passer.

Agreed on all accounts. That's what annoys me so much about the people who are so adamantly against the Chase Daniels and kellen moores and argue that they'd rather have EJ- ok then bring them in and let them duke it out with EJ in practice. I guarantee you either one of them would look better than EJ in practice and win the job fair and square. That's what all the "but he's only played 14 games" crowd loves to conveniently forget- that EJ regressed in practice this past year too. Remember when everyone was just waiting for buscaglia to report that the dude at least had a good practice? He had that one good practice in Pittsburgh this summer. That was it. I swear to god, if the bills didn't reach for him in the first round no one would have any reason to think he has any potential. And there's my EJ rant of the day. Edited by metzelaars_lives

It's hard to judge any head coach when your QB is made of Pyrite. Give Rex a real QB, and I think he would do really well. The problem is that they don't grow on trees, and the really great ones require a great eye to find them before anyone else, and THEN they go to college.

Agreed on all accounts. That's what annoys me so much about the people who are so adamantly against the Chase Daniels and kellen moores and argue that they'd rather have EJ- ok then bring them in and let them duke it out with EJ in practice. I guarantee you either one of them would look better than EJ in practice and win the job fair and square. That's what all the "but he's only played 14 games" crowd loves to conveniently forget- that EJ regressed in practice this past year too. Remember when everyone was just waiting for buscaglia to report that the dude at least had a good practice? He had that one good practice in Pittsburgh this summer. That was it. I swear to god, if the bills didn't reach for him in the first round no one would have any reason to think he has any potential. And there's my EJ rant of the day.

Paul Hamilton and Joe B commented on WGR on multiple occasions that there were rumblings within the organization regarding EJ's struggles with accuracy during practice sessions. Although he was the recipient of a lot of criticism from the fan base Marrone saw enough of EJ during the OTAs, preseason and during the season to come to a hardened conclusion about EJ's inadequacies.

No matter what Whaley's more favorable evaluation of EJ was the HC wasn't willing to sabotage the seasonand his coaching reputation with EJ as his starter. It really wasn't too difficult of a decision for himbecause he simply didn't believe in EJ's prospects as a starter in this league.

When you watch some of the better qbs in the league play, especially the qbs in the playoffs, and you ask yourself whether EJ can attain that level of consistent competency a candid answer (at least for me) is probably not. EJ fits the physical profile of a qb prospect that Nix would find very appealing. But that physical attraction doesn't necessarily translate to success on the field.

EJ is going to have the opportunity to compete with the qb/s brought in during the offseason for the starting job. If he wins the competition I salute him and will support him. If he doesn't then he can be a good backup.

Seeing as the "got" Rex at a middle of the road price, his unemployed former staff didn't come "at any price".

Tossing them a little extra than on the street is probably correct, but some of these guys wouldn't have been hired at their same jobs, i bet. Doubt our new DC would be in that job elsewhere next season.

The big get here was Roman

I've been saying kellen moore for a while now. Start a thread about it and watch 70% of the people exclaim "nooooo" like they did with Chase Daniel. Like Hooper says to quint after he questions hoopers idea to go down in the shark cage when the orca is sinking, "you got any better ideas!?!"

I'd be on board with Kellen Moore.