FA QB option: Matt Moore

YoloinOhio

I think Moore is worth exploring in FA. He currently doesn't have a chance to start in Miami as Tannehill doesn't miss games, even when hurt. He's making 4mill/yr because he's valuable to the Fish and is a former starter. He knows the division well. At the very least I think he could be good vet backup, similar to Orton. Thoughts?

@DolfansNYC: Dolphins free-agent profile: QB Matt Moore http://t.co/aOyEdrbcbq#Dolphins

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all the just plain free agents, he's easily my choice. We could do a lot worse, and often have. Get him in, go after a big trade or bigger guy you probably aren't going to get, and if you don't, let him battle it out with EJ. If EJ beats him out, we may have something. If EJ cant, then that says something too. He can run a ball control game and then get it down field to Watkins and Woods and hopefully a TE.

Of all the just plain free agents, he's easily my choice. We could do a lot worse, and often have. Get him in, go after a big trade or bigger guy you probably aren't going to get, and if you don't, let him battle it out with EJ. If EJ beats him out, we may have something. If EJ cant, then that says something too. He can run a ball control game and then get it down field to Watkins and Woods and hopefully a TE.

At least I've moved on from Sanchez :) I just can't see Rex going there.

I think Moore is worth exploring in FA. He currently doesn't have a chance to start in Miami as Tannehill doesn't miss games, even when hurt. He's making 4mill/yr because he's valuable to the Fish and is a former starter. He knows the division well. At the very least I think he could be good vet backup, similar to Orton. Thoughts?

@DolfansNYC: Dolphins free-agent profile: QB Matt Moore http://t.co/aOyEdrbcbq#Dolphins

might as well but I thought you wanted Johnny Football :devil:

I just hope the decision is impacted more by Roman/Lee than Rex

I assume he would have a big say in the decision. I just think he wouldn't want to hitch his wagon to Sanchez again. New team, clean slate, etc.

might as well but I thought you wanted Johnny Football :devil:

he can start on my Flip Cup team any day

Curious as to why... He apparently wants a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere

He's been in Miami for a while. He has a whole life there. Not sure how long his career has left, just strikes me as a guy who is comfortable. You may be right about wanting an opportunity to start though

Agreed. He's long been on my list of good signings that wouldn't be THE answer but sets a nice floor if things don't work out with plan A

This. Nicely stated, fellas.

He's been in Miami for a while. He has a whole life there. Not sure how long his career has left, just strikes me as a guy who is comfortable. You may be right about wanting an opportunity to start though

all that could be true but in the link I posted, it says he will likely explore options as he wants to have an opportunity to start. Also, he's only 30. And I read that the fish probably can't afford to play the backup QB that much and will look for a cheaper backup since Tannehill is so durable. Edited by YoloinOhio

all that could be true but in the link I posted, it says he will likely explore options as he wants to have an opportunity to start. Also, he's only 30. And I read that the fish probably can't afford to play the backup QB that much and will look for a cheaper backup since Tannehill is so durable.

It frames it as "my impression from talking to him is" not "he told me he wants"

He is on my short list of FAs. I think Moore in FA and draft a QB in the middle rounds and EJ. And, see what those 3 can do. Trading for Bradford or Foles would be a better option. But, Moore would be possibly our best plan B option.

I read a piece a year or two ago that made a fairly convincing case for Moore being better than Tannehill. I don't know if I agree with that at this point, but he was pretty good the last time he saw significant action back in 2011. In 13 games (12 starts) he averaged 7.2 ypa, threw 16 TDs to 9 INT, and went 6-6 with a sorry Dolphins team that went 0-4 in games he didn't start.

I doubt he'll make any pro-bowls but he's a decent pro that will give us at least Ortonesque production if not better, and if EJ or someone else beats him out for the starting job then he will have earned it.

I read a piece a year or two ago that made a fairly convincing case for Moore being better than Tannehill. I don't know if I agree with that at this point, but he was pretty good the last time he saw significant action back in 2011. In 13 games (12 starts) he averaged 7.2 ypa, threw 16 TDs to 9 INT, and went 6-6 with a sorry Dolphins team that went 0-4 in games he didn't start.

I doubt he'll make any pro-bowls but he's a decent pro that will give us at least Ortonesque production if not better, and if EJ or someone else beats him out for the starting job then he will have earned it.

Exactly

similar to Orton.

I like Moore but my concern is that he's only appeared in three games over the past two seasons (and thrown a total of 10 passes).

Is he still the same guy who looked good in 2011, or is just someone we've heard of? Hard to judge...

I like Moore but my concern is that he's only appeared in three games over the past two seasons (and thrown a total of 10 passes).

Is he still the same guy who looked good in 2011, or is just someone we've heard of? Hard to judge...

He looked good in 2009 too. Not so much in 2010, but that Carolina team was a straight up dumpster fire. They weren't any better in games he didn't start.

I like him and my friends who are Dolphins fan would actually prefer he starts over Tannehill. I think he could be a good option to compete at the QB spot to be a starter or backup. I think he's an upgrade to Orton personally, so would be a good guy to come in and compete with EJ and a great backup if EJ beat him out.

Any regular starter available is generally available because they looked bad the last couple years. So he's a step ahead in that sense

I like him and my friends who are Dolphins fan would actually prefer he starts over Tannehill. I think he could be a good option to compete at the QB spot to be a starter or backup. I think he's an upgrade to Orton personally, so would be a good guy to come in and compete with EJ and a great backup if EJ beat him out.

haha, the backup QB is always the most popular guy in town. I think Tannehill is a limited QB, but he is developing and turned a corner that night he beat the Bills and when he went into Denver and performed very well. Previously the Bills were his kryptonite. Edited by YoloinOhio

I can see him wanting to resign in Miami.

I can see many FA QBs that think they can win the starting job aiming for Buffalo. They see this defense and realize their best might be good enough heh.

Means he's rested ;)

Agreed. He's long been on my list of good signings that wouldn't be THE answer but sets a nice floor if things don't work out with plan A

He hasn't done anything in coming up on 4 seasons. He may be a decent backup to a solid stater, but he isn't a viable "plan B".

Any regular starter available is generally available because they looked bad the last couple years. So he's a step ahead in that sense

Agreed. Still, ten passes in two years (vs. 437 for E.J. over the same period). That's a pretty big leap of faith that Moore can be the guy...

Among all the available options, I have a hard time finding someone who is better, though... We don't have probowlers to pick through, either by FA, trade, or pick #50 in the draft.

Sanchez, Flynn, Hoyer are all better, cheaper choices.

I have always liked what i saw of Moore both in Carolina & in Miami , he seems to be a good manager of the game doesn't have a huge arm but could be another option with Moore veteran experience . Don't remember how mobile he was ??

Another player i think that is mobile , a bit younger too that it wouldn't hurt to bring in for competition would be Taj Boyd since he was released . I aways liked his leadership in dyer situations while at Clemson , I've seen QB's with worse arms & accuracy , then to add his familiarity with Sammy & he can run it if need be .

So i think we have some pretty good option out there that won't necessarily brake the bank & could put us in a good or better situation at the QB position .

And if all else fails we can start another Teabow post ...

This is good, but I would rate him as a really, really poor man's Orton. The guy has played basically 1 season, whereas Orton has like 4 3000 yard years under his belt. Moore is pretty green for being in the NFL for 8 years.