Aaron Hernandez Trial---*Guilty*

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad all around. I'm shocked they went guilty. Not because I don't think he did it but because there certainly were two others who COULD have pulled the trigger. Either way, he was present during a felony.

Sure, there's always the possibility of innocence, which is why the standard of proof is beyond a reasonable doubt, and not beyond all doubt.

Sad all around. I'm shocked they went guilty. Not because I don't think he did it but because there certainly were two others who COULD have pulled the trigger. Either way, he was present during a felony.

M!@#$ law doesn't make it obligatory that he actually pulled the trigger.

If that's really the case, which I don't disagree with, then didn't his attorneys admit guilt when they said he was there in their closing?

not sure on that one, i just have read enough people commenting on the whole thing.

im glad justice was served but disappointed such a talented athlete is such a dumbass.

If that's really the case, which I don't disagree with, then didn't his attorneys admit guilt when they said he was there in their closing?

it seems they admitted he was there because of the variety of evidence proving he was there -- they then tried to say he had no idea it was going to happen, and was an innocent bystander that was scared of the situation. whether that could have potentially helped him on the actual charge (didnt, but mightve made the deliberations tougher?) or in the sentencing phase (my theory, he knew he was screwed and is trying to minimize damage atleast some....)

Edited by NoSaint

whats to love here? a dude is dead.

Indeed. In fact, 3 dudes are dead and another "friend" of Hernandez lost his eye

I'm glad Hernandez was convicted - from the evidence shared with the public, the conviction seems justified - but nothing to love about a young man who had everything in the world throwing it away with his gangasta behavior and another young man who was foolish in his choice of associates losing his life.

Is it just me, or does this kind of make anyone else feel said about the path of college sports, esp. football? It seems as though too many kids with football talent are getting protected in HS and college when they engage in egregious behavior, to the point where they're so isolated from the consequences of their actions that they start to believe they're immune and it winds up biting them when they step outside their little college cocoon.

Is it just me, or does this kind of make anyone else feel said about the path of college sports, esp. football? It seems as though too many kids with football talent are getting protected in HS and college when they engage in egregious behavior, to the point where they're so isolated from the consequences of their actions that they start to believe they're immune and it winds up biting them when they step outside their little college cocoon.

No different today than at any time in our history (IMO).

not sure on that one, i just have read enough people commenting on the whole thing.

im glad justice was served but disappointed such a talented athlete is such a dumbass.

I think his attorney was just trying to get sympathy from the jury...well if you were afraid for you life wouldn't you just go along? Didn't work onviously

No, actually, that was a very clever piece of defense lawyering to undercut the prosecution's case.

There was pretty solid evidence that Hernandez was there - it was one of the strengths of the state case. And under Massachusetts law, the state didn't have to prove either motive or that he pulled the trigger, merely that he had the intent that Lloyd should be murdered.

So the defense tried to undercut the strength of the state case by admitting he was there (which the state had pretty much proved beyond a reasonable doubt), but trying to cast doubt upon the "intent to murder" part by suggesting there was no intent to murder Lloyd in taking him there, one or both of the other two guys who were there were just dusted on PCP and went suddenly nuts and violent and did something Hernandez neither expected nor wanted in shooting Lloyd.

It was clever lawyering, and probably the best argument that could be put up for Hernandez, strengthened by their success in keeping out the prior shooting of another Hernandez "friend" in a similar situation and getting the actual text content of Hernandez messages excluded.

Only problem is the jury didn't buy it.

it seems they admitted he was there because of the variety of evidence proving he was there -- they then tried to say he had no idea it was going to happen, and was an innocent bystander that was scared of the situation. whether that could have potentially helped him on the actual charge (didnt, but mightve made the deliberations tougher?) or in the sentencing phase (my theory, he knew he was screwed and is trying to minimize damage atleast some....)

Agree with NoSaint. His attorney took the only path he had - try to put enough doubt into the jury and maybe get one or two people to create either a hung jury or a verdict of 2nd degree murder so that he could get parole at some point.

I think his attorney was just trying to get sympathy from the jury...well if you were afraid for you life wouldn't you just go along? Didn't work onviously

I didn't realize the defense was that desperate by the end of the trial. If that's what they really tried to sell, this result holds no surprise.