Browns seem done with Johnny Manziel; enters rehab

YoloinOhio

Why is size such an issue. It is the heart that matters. Doug Flutie had it, Russell Wilson has it...Why can't Manziel.

The first play I saw Manziel in a game against Carolina, He Ran to the sideline tried to get a yard and got rocked by a defender and knocked out of the game. My judgement might be a little swayed by that.

Edited by CountDorkula

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is size such an issue. It is the heart that matters. Doug Flutie had it, Russell Wilson has it...Why can't Manziel.

its another in a list of obstacles he has to overcome. and its not just height but build leaving him fragile for his style of play.

if he overcomes his immaturity/alcohol/party issues

and he overcomes his question marks about size

and his questionable arm ends up good

then he might have a shot to develop.... its just a lot of things to clear to even get to the starting point for becoming an nfl qb. and from that starting point of clearing all the must haves, its still a long shot for most prospects.

its another in a list of obstacles he has to overcome. and its not just height but build leaving him fragile for his style of play.

if he overcomes his immaturity/alcohol/party issues

and he overcomes his question marks about size

and his questionable arm ends up good

then he might have a shot to develop.... its just a lot of things to clear to even get to the starting point for becoming an nfl qb. and from that starting point of clearing all the must haves, its still a long shot for most prospects.

His most glaring problems are not associated with his physical attributes compared to his lack of maturity, as you noted. He simply did not take his job seriously and put in the time and effort to be prepared. The qb on a team has to put in the most work, especially film study. He didn't, and it was very evident to the organization and his teammates.

He had a marvelous opportunity to rather quickly become the franchise qb for a team that had an earnest but pedestrian starter in Hoyer. He did not seize the opportunity because he wasn't serious about his job.

The only person who can stabilize the situation for him is himself. It isn't done by taling about what you intend on doing for now on, it is done by doing what you are supposed to day in and day out.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12216266/cleveland-browns-quarterback-johnny-manziel-struggled-commitment-preparation-sources-said

Have you seen EJ Manuel play? Not saying to sign him, but all things need to be considered given the Bills QB situation.

like I said, aim higher. The Browns QB situation is just as bad or worse. If they don't want him, that's telling. Edited by YoloinOhio

Do you watch Wilson or ever watch Flutie? They never got hit, they take what is/was given them and got down right away. Johnny doesn't shy away from contact, which is insane for a guy his size. Cam is built like a tank and he's really started to show the impact of not getting down.

Wilson/Flutie are on a whole different level than Manziel when it comes to football intelligence. Russell always makes the right decision, if you give him 5 yards he's taking 5 yards. Johnny always thinks about the big play. He got away with a lot in college because he had an NFL caliber line and Mike Evans going against severe mismatches. The Cams and Big Bens of the world get rocked when they play sandlot football, there's no way Johnny can hold up with his style.

Simply put, Johnny doesn't get it. He skated by on athletic ability and being on a loaded team in college. He's clearly a kid whose always been able to talk his way out of any trouble, which is why he always says the right things, however actions trump words every time and his chronic lateness, complete lack of preparation when he got his chance and continued party lifestyle show he has no clue what it takes and isn't willing to put in the work. He doesn't have the fire in his belly to be great, he was born with a silver spoon and likely has already been rewarded handsomely with his brand potential.

Well, he does have a Snickers commercial.

What's with the other "Brown" in the commercial who looks like he's about 55 years old. Snickers couldn't find a guy in his 20s to say 1 line?

Have you seen EJ Manuel play? Not saying to sign him, but all things need to be considered given the Bills QB situation.

I sure have.... And as bad as he has looked at times he has been far better than Manziel... And it's not even close. Anyone saying EJ deserves to be put out to pasture but manziel desrves a chance had no credibility. A 42 passer rating is not even cfl worthy.

I sure have.... And as bad as he has looked at times he has been far better than Manziel... And it's not even close. Anyone saying EJ deserves to be put out to pasture but manziel desrves a chance had no credibility. A 42 passer rating is not even cfl worthy.

this. I can count on one hand the positive plays (gained positive yardage) JM had in those 7 qtrs.

I watch Manziel's only complete start on the all-22 last night. I've never seen a QB so unprepared for the speed of the game.

Early on he had a clean pocket if he had just stepped up and Josh Gordon was running a deep dig with no safety help. If he had stepped up and thrown a pass straight 20 yards it could have been a TD. Instead he stepped back, then forward and dove for a 2 yard gain and they were forced to punt. Really bad field awareness

Later on he was getting pressured. Again clean pocket if he steps up and lets the rush go by him, but he stepped back and tried to dodge them and was pulled down. $$$$

This guy crumbles when there is pressure. He looks like he panics, instead of being calm and sliding in the pocket. Kid plays sandlot football. It doesn't work at this level

It honestly looked he hadn't practiced all season or knew how a protection scheme works. For a first round pick, thats inexcusable. Add in the multiple reports of this guy not showing up to practice or meetings on time, and generally being a "100 percent joke." I'm gonna throw this stone away.

Reports of Manziel's failure to prepare shouldn't come as any surprise. He's been lacking it in that regard since he was a freshman in college and those reports dogged him throughout the scouting process, especially when it started to ratchet up in August 2013. There are more than a few scouts who had him as late as the third round based on those reports alone.

"Heart" has been mentioned several times in this thread. Manziel appears to have never possessed it.

Football character.

Look it up, Johnny.

GO BILLS!!!

The first play I saw Manziel in a game against Carolina, He Ran to the sideline tried to get a yard and got rocked by a defender and knocked out of the game. My judgement might be a little swayed by that.

And his first drive against the Bills (in relief) was phenomenal. He is a rookie QB who was inconsistent.