Marrone hired as Jags OL coach

YoloinOhio

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great. Now all that needs to happen is the Jags to hire Hackett as their OC.

To the Bills fans still wanting to hate. The man did do an excellent job as the Jets O line coach, and so much so that his past players, and HoF RB Curtis Martin have nothing but praise for the guy. This job could elevate him back into consideration for another head coaching job if he does it well.

I disliked Marrone mostly because of his hiring a complete NFL newbie OC in Nathaniel Hackett. He did get the DC's right tho.

Ten years ago. Yet you don't give any credit to anything else that happened five or ten years ago.

Oh this is just brilliant. Must-read.

Great link, great read. Thanks for sharing.

"And so here we are in mid-January. Marrone, who Colin Cowherd has now acknowledged was his MYSTERY CANDIDATE for the Michigan job throughout much of December, has taken an assistants job with a made-up title with one of the worst NFL franchises. Itll only be 10 months or so until NFL and college insiders are again touting a man who had a 15-17 record in Buffalo and quit on his team as a viable option for each nascent opening."

Boom.

Edited by jimmy10

That is mostly incorrect. Players are employees just like any other members of the organization including the coaches. They receive (very complex) W-2's. You are correct that income gets taxed in the states that the team plays, but it is not quite that simple. As maddenboy pointed out, residency factors in importantly in this equation. If a player is a NY resident then they will pay tax on their worldwide income (just like we all do) and they will take a tax credit for the taxes paid to other states. As far as I would hazard a guess, Marrone is probably still a NY resident and will pay tax on any income he receives as long as he remains one, regardless of where it was earned. Interestingly (at least to me) there is no special tax code for athletes, these same rules apply to widget salesmen, lawyers, etc. The technology doesn't exist (yet) to enforce the rules against the average person and there is not enough money in it for the states to go after, but obviously there is with the athletes and their schedules are readily accessible, so many think these rules only apply to them. Also, most of the high profile court cases in this area involve athletes.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: I was just going off what the players said in the 30 for 30: Broke documentary.

Edited by DrDareustein

Obviously O Line coach, excuse me Asst Head Coach - Offense, isn't the way Dougie and Jimmy thought this would play out. However it keeps his name in play and if the Jags need a mid season course correction .... St. Doug is in the wings more than willing and somewhat able. If I was with the NSA I would have tapped his phone just to hear every chapter of this story.

It's how he left not that he left that bothers this fan. With hindsight it can be argued that once out of the playoffs Marrones goal was to build a resume not the Bills. And that resume along with the opt out clause would lead to a bigger payday if not with the Bills another team. Yes, Dougie get his 4 mill and he doesn't even have to pass go however had he led the team to the 2015 playoffs he would be in line for a contract north of 20 million and that's a lot to leave on the table. Currently a blow to his ego not his pocketbook but if he doesn't find a head job in 2016 he will have to look at other options.

FWIW a friend who was in for a big pay day established residency in Florida many months before the transaction officially happened. Concerns about tax laws and anticipatory income.

Edited by powerbroker

I took a swing by the Jags board, not one of the registered TBD commentors, but I am astonished at how happy they are with the hire. Really odd. I get being OK with it, I get being neutral, and try rose colored glasses, but they are all really happy about it with no negativity.

I credit it to they don't know much about football. Makes me appreciate this place more, even if I don't agree with all of you.

Unless you closely followed situations like urbik/pears I think most here would be equally optimistic. Heck, we were when we got him as a head coach.

Not worried? He HIRED the guy! :lol:

""I really didn't get into that with him," Bradley, the head coach of the South team here at the 2015 Senior Bowl, said. "For me, it was obviously that he was a good teacher, developer and person. The topics we talked about, I think one thing that's really important is humility and if you have humility, you can identify your weaknesses and get better at those and I just felt a great sense of humility."

!!!!!