Marrone hired as Jags OL coach

YoloinOhio

Russ Brandon hired this tool as head coach in about five minutes and gave him that $4,000,000 opt out clause. How is Brandon still employed?

That's been asked and answered about a gazillion times, but here goes:

-- the Bills wanted him

-- whether reality or perception, they thought the Browns wanted him too

-- ownership situation of the Bills was tenuous and Sexton used this as leverage

-- the contract was not negotiated in "five minutes" but over a weekend

The random "Brandon should be gone" comments are just old and tired.

What would you rather have at this point -- a front office in which the HC and GM aren't on the same page, forcing an issue at some point this year...or both sides parting ways and the resulting situation the Bills have now?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of tragic how the Jags board is, especially when they talk about him as a possibility as head coach, but apparently we sound the same to the Jets and Niners fans about Rex and Roman.

Quick thoughts about the hire:

-Marrone might be a decent fit for the hire. They have smaller linemen, so it might fit his zone scheme. If they are already perfect fits they may thrive.

-that said in his time here he was incapable of altering his scene to the talent he had. This was true at WR, where he ditched two very productive receivers in Stevie and Mike Williams for Chris Hogan, and arguably so at QB where come hell or high water they were sticking with those play calls. But even a bigger problem is that the O-line regressed even from the days of Chan Gailey.

-The Bills drafted 3 O-line men. Only the 7th rounder had extensive playing time. It's not as if Kuondidjio and Richardson were scraping the bottom of the barrel. Kujo was considered a possible late 1st rounder, and Richardson an intriguing project and yet we got nothing.

-Two very solid players, Glenn and Wood, regressed this year.

-If the Jags think that cutting and running at the first sign of progress will change his head coach philosophy they are nuts.

-I've been told we're bitter and jilted. If we're jilted, our high school sweetheart just left us so we just went to the bar to drown our sorrows and got picked up by Zooey Deschanel who's asking if she can invite her sister over for a threesome.

Moron has proven himself to be an inflexible boob. His inflexibility has shown itself in every possible way -- his game plans, his opinions on personnel, his gameday strategies, his dealings with the media.

I'll say one thing...he's consistent.

The Jacksonville line gave up 71 sacks last year, so it's likely they will be -- to borrow Mojo44's phrase -- "trending up" after this season. And Moron will claim all of the credit.

I took a look at their message board yesterday and they were excited - can't really blame them because our QBs were sacked 1/2 as much as theirs last year. That's significant. I did think the trash talking was pretty funny. Never seen a Jags fan trash talk. Ok - never saw a Jags fan period.

The more interesting aspect is how much they want Gus Bradley fired and how much they are excited for Marroon to replace him sooner than later. OL coach is one thing (if they think they have the players to fit his scheme). Maybe he learned from his previous gig on what not to do as a HC, but if I was a fan of any team who was faced with the possibility of him becoming HC I'd be very UN-excited. Then again maybe they seriously upgrade their D, he hires Schwartz next year, and they go 9-7. That would be exciting for Jags fans, I'd think.

Does anyone else live in Boston/New England and listen to the Sports Hub? Gresh and Zoe just said that this is an upgrade and that being the OL coach in Jax is a better job than any in Buffalo... I listen to this show just to get upset...

Edited by PortlandiaEast

Does anyone else live in Boston/New England and listen to the Sports Hub? Gresh and Zoe just said that this is an upgrade and that being the OL coach in Jax is a better job than any in Buffalo... I listen to this show just to get upset...

now that is screwed up. They said the exact opposite on our local show in Cbus. They said they could almost see if a coach voluntarily left a HC job in Jax to be a position coach in Bflo because the team is so much better and seems to be on the rise. But he couldn't see if the other way, that a coach would leave HC of a team like the Bills and at the stage that team is at almost making the playoffs, and choosing to be a position coach for a team like the Jags.

Of course they recognized he probably thought he had a chance at least as a OC somewhere when opting out.

If there's any doubt what his duties will be there, here's what Bradley said about hiring Marrone,

"He purely is, in talking to him, about wanting to help the offensive line get better."

I guess when Marrone quit, the world looked like a big blooming orchard with all sorts of delicious fruit for him to pick from. In the end though, there was only one choice actually available to him: sour grapes.

What's sad is that supposedly he was trying to be loyal to his coaches by asking for extensions. Now many of them are unemployed. His decision adversely effected a number of people, not just himself.

The decisions we make when ego runs away from reason!

I don't know if this is in here or not (didn't feel like reading the whole thread):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000461319/article/bradley-not-worried-about-marrone-joining-jaguars

Bradley, the head coach of the South team here at the 2015 Senior Bowl, said. "For me, it was obviously that he was a good teacher, developer and person. The topics we talked about, I think one thing that's really important is humility and if you have humility, you can identify your weaknesses and get better at those and I just felt a great sense of humility. It was a great visit. An unbelievable visit."

I don't know what else to say to this but wow. That would be about the LAST think that I think that Bills people would tell you about "St. Doug."

I don't know if this is in here or not (didn't feel like reading the whole thread):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000461319/article/bradley-not-worried-about-marrone-joining-jaguars

Bradley, the head coach of the South team here at the 2015 Senior Bowl, said. "For me, it was obviously that he was a good teacher, developer and person. The topics we talked about, I think one thing that's really important is humility and if you have humility, you can identify your weaknesses and get better at those and I just felt a great sense of humility. It was a great visit. An unbelievable visit."

I don't know what else to say to this but wow. That would be about the LAST think that I think that Bills people would tell you about "St. Doug."

yep I posted that exact excerpt yesterday. Apparently Gus Bradley lives under a rock.