Back to the 34 ... again

This is probably the 4rth time we have switched back and forth between defensive fronts.

I KNOW we are going to be multiple so it's not a huge deal especially for this team. the big difference comes in personnel, we will be drafting/adding 34 types of player, which is fine by me as I like those big Dline and LBs.

"Schwartz is a staunch believer in the 4-3 base defense and doesn't like to blitz, opting to let his front four rush the quarterback and cover with seven defenders. Ryan, who is considered one of the brightest defensive minds in the game, is the opposite. He prefers the base 3-4 and he prides himself on changing things up and blitzing to create havoc.

The differing philosophies were enough to convince Schwartz that he should move on from a team that finished fourth in yards allowed and points yielded, third in passing yards allowed, No. 1 in third-down efficiency and No. 1 in sacks. So when he declined Ryan's invitation to remain with the team, Ryan fired him."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2015/01/13/ryan-begins-assembling-staff/21721143/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a good thing we hung onto Manny Lawson

And now maybe Spikes finds a perm home

sounds about right.

I hope we take a real run at Justin Houston, he is a better fit than Hughes and now we have the money to spend and gotta think a guy like Houston would love to play in Rex's system.

sounds about right.

I hope we take a real run at Justin Houston, he is a better fit than Hughes and now we have the money to spend and gotta think a guy like Houston would love to play in Rex's system.

That would be something. I'd take him over Hughes and I love me some Hughes. Really hope we keep our guys together but Houston makes a lot of sense.

Mario-dareus-Kyle

Hughes-Alonso-brown-bradham

Gilmore-Williams-seacy-mckelvin.

Let's just go with that for a minute.

10 of 11 players have played in a 3-4 scheme (pettine).with Preston Brown being the other. Some of our guys flourished in this system.

3 things I immediately think of:

1) I hope Dareus can continue to play at the level he did this year regardless of the schematic switch.

2)we need another corner. Could Corey Graham be the guy?

3)I love our LBs

Mario-dareus-Kyle

Hughes-Alonso-brown-bradham

Gilmore-Williams-seacy-mckelvin.

Let's just go with that for a minute.

10 of 11 players have played in a 3-4 scheme (pettine).with Preston Brown being the other. Some of our guys flourished in this system.

3 things I immediately think of:

1) I hope Dareus can continue to play at the level he did this year regardless of the schematic switch.

2)we need another corner. Could Corey Graham be the guy?

3)I love our LBs

Does Spikes fit in to this system well? I know he played well in the Pats 3-4 but it seems like he's the odd man out.

I KNOW we are going to be multiple so it's not a huge deal especially for this team. the big difference comes in personnel, we will be drafting/adding 34 types of player,

We're not going to be drafting a whole lot of anyone thanks to Whaley. Of the two picks in the first four rounds we'll have to use them on offense.

We're not going to be drafting a whole lot of anyone thanks to Whaley. Of the two picks in the first four rounds we'll have to use them on offense.

Rex will want a CB in round 2... :/

Where we'd need to go TE, RB, G, FB

I believe Mario Williams would be playing OLB, but with his hand in the dirt rushing the passer most of the time. Either Hughes or Lawson man the other OLB position which plays much more in coverage. The "problem" is an abundance of LB to man those 2 other positions. Alonso, Bradham, Brown will have to fight it out. I believe Buffalo will aggressively pursue a 5 technique DL to play on the other side of Dareus. Finally, I suspect this means the end of Spikes in Buffalo.

I really hope we keep Spikes. Kiko is coming off the injury and Brown is very young, when we ran Pettine's D (basically Rex's D) before we could not stop the run, Spikes would be a key to that.

I expect we'll look more like a hybrid D, with Mario being a stand up/hand in the dirt pass rusher. Plugging him in as one of the 3 DL in a real 3-4 seems like a waste of his talent as those guys are typically just block eaters.

Not excited about the shift to a 3-4. That was the one problem I had with hiring Rex -- you knew when he came in Schwartz was leaving. I think it hurts Mario and Kyle. The results will tell.

please compare their sacks from last year to this, IIRC the D had 7 more sacks in 13.

The switch with the Schwartz had many wondering where Kiko would go before he got hurt.

To be honest at times I would have liked to have seen a few more blitzes

New owner, new everything. thats the problem with having a 96 year old owner. everything being blown up was just around the corner. is what it is. go bills.

This is complete BS. If they didn't hire Rex as HC, they would not have had to change defensive systems. It was a choice.

Can Buddy redraft Troupe befire he leaves?

:death: :death: every time I hear that name I think of Gronk :wallbash:

Not excited about the shift to a 3-4. That was the one problem I had with hiring Rex -- you knew when he came in Schwartz was leaving. I think it hurts Mario and Kyle. The results will tell.

They played well in Pettines system

Free Agency

We picked up a 4th for Stevie remember? It was a conditional that could move up to a third rounder if he did well out there.

He had 50 catches (half for 3rd downs which is impressive) 435 total yards, 3 scores. Probably not enough to get our 3rd rounder.