Back to the 34 ... again

I believe Mario Williams would be playing OLB, but with his hand in the dirt rushing the passer most of the time. Either Hughes or Lawson man the other OLB position which plays much more in coverage. The "problem" is an abundance of LB to man those 2 other positions. Alonso, Bradham, Brown will have to fight it out. I believe Buffalo will aggressively pursue a 5 technique DL to play on the other side of Dareus. Finally, I suspect this means the end of Spikes in Buffalo.

This doesn't make sense to me. Mario and Hughes are both linebackers and wouldn't be one of the 3 down linemen? If they do find a 5 technique I believe that bumps Kyle not turns Marion into a full time linebacker. I think Spikes would clearly have a role manning the middle on this team.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario-dareus-Kyle

Hughes-Alonso-brown-bradham

Gilmore-Williams-seacy-mckelvin.

Let's just go with that for a minute.

10 of 11 players have played in a 3-4 scheme (pettine).with Preston Brown being the other. Some of our guys flourished in this system.

3 things I immediately think of:

1) I hope Dareus can continue to play at the level he did this year regardless of the schematic switch.

2)we need another corner. Could Corey Graham be the guy?

3)I love our LBs

I have a feeling Bradham is the Odd man out with kiko going outside and spike/brown in the middle. Hughes is probably gone but I think we will bring in another pass rushing OLB like Houston.

Did I miss where Rex said he's going 3-4? I'm pretty certain that he said he'd tailor the scheme to the players.

Also Kyle Williams is NOT suited to play end in a 3-4 (he isn't the long/lean type). Dareus is, so too may be Stefan Charles.

I think it's all moot though--this is going to be a multiple-look front like we saw with Pettine (which by the way was a base 4-3 under; NOT a 3-4).

For the record, the best 3-4 lineup (using 2014 personnel) probably looks like this:

Dareus-Kyle-Charles

Mario-Kiko-Bradham-Lawson

Hughes and Brown become situational players.

This doesn't make sense to me. Mario and Hughes are both linebackers and wouldn't be one of the 3 down linemen? If they do find a 5 technique I believe that bumps Kyle not turns Marion into a full time linebacker. I think Spikes would clearly have a role manning the middle on this team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rexy's "3-4" usually utilizes 4 down linemen...one being a pass rushing OLB. Am I mistaken?

Here's how I see it

Kyle-Harrison-Dareus---harrison the nt for the jets is a free agent, excelled at playing the nose for Rex

Williams-spikes-kiko-Lawson-Preston brown adds depth and bradham is the joker-he actually was good at getting pressure last year,.we will need to find more outside depth via FA or draft

McKelvin Searcy Williams Gilmore

I have a feeling Bradham is the Odd man out with kiko going outside and spike/brown in the middle. Hughes is probably gone but I think we will bring in another pass rushing OLB like Houston.

Ironic since Bradham was our best overall LB last year. I can't see us ponying up for Houston he's either getting the franchise tag or getting signed to the biggest contract ever for an OLB probably to team that has tons of cap space.

Here's how I see it

Kyle-Harrison-Dareus---harrison the nt for the jets is a free agent, excelled at playing the nose for Rex

Williams-spikes-kiko-Lawson-Preston brown adds depth and bradham is the joker-he actually was good at getting pressure last year,.we will need to find more outside depth via FA or draft

McKelvin Searcy Williams Gilmore

Harrison isn't the UFA, Ellis is and he was the Jets backup. If we're eyeing NTs in UFA the name I go after is Dan Williams of the Cardinals. Searcy is interesting as he played well but maybe we let him go and pursue Dawan Landry to compete to start with Duke Williams next year. As Landry is similar to Jim Leonard who followed Pettine everywhere by contrast Landy's followed Rex from Baltimore to the Jets and of course an UFA this year.

please compare their sacks from last year to this, IIRC the D had 7 more sacks in 13.

The switch with the Schwartz had many wondering where Kiko would go before he got hurt.

To be honest at times I would have liked to have seen a few more blitzes

I think they had 4 more but I actually agree with you for once about wanting to see a few more blitzes.

Harrison isn't the UFA, Ellis is and he was the Jets backup. If we're eyeing NTs in UFA the name I go after is Dan Williams of the Cardinals. Searcy is interesting as he played well but maybe we let him go and pursue Dawan Landry to compete to start with Duke Williams next year. As Landry is similar to Jim Leonard who followed Pettine everywhere by contrast Landy's followed Rex from Baltimore to the Jets and of course an UFA this year.

You're right, he's a restricted free agent

Damon Harrison (RFA), NT, Jets. Age: 26.

Damon "Snacks" Harrison is one of the top run-stuffing nose tackles in the NFL. He doesn't get any sort of pass rush going, but he's a major reason why New York is so excellent against ground attacks. He won't be 27 until November.

Hopefully with the new coach and Dan Williams' free agency, maybe the new coach signs him and signed Harrison at a reasonable amount that doesn't require a draft pick.

Mario-dareus-Kyle

Hughes-Alonso-brown-bradham

Gilmore-Williams-seacy-mckelvin.

Let's just go with that for a minute.

10 of 11 players have played in a 3-4 scheme (pettine).with Preston Brown being the other. Some of our guys flourished in this system.

3 things I immediately think of:

1) I hope Dareus can continue to play at the level he did this year regardless of the schematic switch.

2)we need another corner. Could Corey Graham be the guy?

3)I love our LBs

Corey graham might be the best zone cover guy on our team as well as the best cab overall. He is amazing

We are more a nickel or dime team then a 43 or 34. Ryan will adapt and if anything keeping Searcy might be his biggest concern. He, like Pettine, uses S's in various ways.

If anyone is being bumped off of the DL it has to be MW. I don't see Hughes being as effective without his ability to be in the defenders face and already by his guy when he is off the LOS. He is strong but not strong enough to stop a good OL after 1 step or an average OL after 2.

In a 34 it will be just like our 44 was this year but better because we have rotation on the DL and Dareus bumping to DE was very solid. Playing Dareus @ the 4 or 5 is doable. If a 44 we can cover, we can stop the run and we can do anything

MW-Dareus-KW-Hughes

Bradham-Brown-Spikes-Alonso

Gilmore-free safety-McKelvin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rexy's "3-4" usually utilizes 4 down linemen...one being a pass rushing OLB. Am I mistaken?

Yes and that 4th down lineman would be Hughes or if they get a 5 technique as you suggest it would effect either Kyle or Marcell. So that leaves 3 linebacker spots. My point is you would need Spikes on running downs to shed blocks and sniff out the run. I think Preston could serve in that role but I think Spikes is better suited for it with Kiko and Nigel on the either side of him. I just don't think Nigel, Brown, and Kiko would be fighting for 2 spots, they'd be playing a lot and if Spikes is retained he'd serve in the same role as last season. In otherwords I don't think Mario will be a LB he'd be identified as one of the down lineman, although I do think he may be asked in certain alignments to drop back but then Hughes would be down with 3 LB's on the field.

Just as the "wide 9 defense" was feared, so too shall the "3-4" be feared...by fans. I haven't missed too many Jet games over the decades. Rex will employ a very simple defense when he has the horses to run it when talking first and second downs. His front seven in his first year with Jets was as young and talented of a unit as they were going to get. Bart Scott started his decline after that season, and the cog that made it all work was Jenkins. In that first season however, Rex played a lot of true 3-4 with his NT directly over the center, and simpler coverages behind them as they were so great at man coverage outside. With the Bills roster as it currently exists, I don't see Rex believing that he has to get particularly cute scheme wise. He runs 5 man fronts all the way down to 1 man fronts. The key to appreciating Rex's defensive work is that you shouldn't go into it thinking you are smarter than he is anticipating that you will see something he doesn't understand. Just sit back and really pay attention to what happens between the line of scrimmage and the first down marker. It's very educational and just a lot of fun to watch. Enjoy the ride and don't start complaining yet.

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2010/4/9/1412079/football-101-the-ravens-hybrid

A good read for those that might not quite understand what Rex is going to do and how a hybrid 3-4/4-3 works. Here's what it looks like:

Figure_4_medium.gif

Wayne!

That is the exact article I was searching for last night (I got distracted ordering a cow)...thank you!