Back to the 34 ... again

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 5:55 of this video, when asked about changing the defense, Rex says and we can quote:

Ive run every defense known to man. Whether its a 43, 34, 46, whatever. We'll do whats in the best interest of us and looking at our talent that we have. And part of that is certainly, can you expect a lot of 43? Of course.

We'll just add to it, and maybe challenge the guys a little more mentally than they were last year.

So anyone worried about changing the scheme, can just R-E-L-A-X

This thread is like a time warp back to 2012.

I havent heard the phrase "Kyle Williams cant play in a 34" since he went to the Pro Bowl playing in a 34, but it's back! Love the offseason!

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2010/4/9/1412079/football-101-the-ravens-hybrid

A good read for those that might not quite understand what Rex is going to do and how a hybrid 3-4/4-3 works. Here's what it looks like:

Figure_4_medium.gif

Great post. Really, it looks like the D-line would be going the exact same thing: Dareus 2 gapping, Kyle playing 3 technique, Mario is talented enough that if you're not doubling with a TE you're in trouble. The only difference is Hughes playing on a two point stance and dropping into coverage on occasion.

In fact, our LB situation is now much better than 2013. In Rex's system the WLB and MLB have a lot more overlap. Both Kiko and Preston Brown have flexibility to play two roles well (Will and Mike/Mike and Sam respectively). I see the lines working as such:

Kyle-Dareus-Mario

Hughes-Kiko-Brown-Bradham/Lawson

With a nickel of

Hughes-Kyle-Dareus-Mario

Kiko-Brown/Bradham

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2010/4/9/1412079/football-101-the-ravens-hybrid

A good read for those that might not quite understand what Rex is going to do and how a hybrid 3-4/4-3 works. Here's what it looks like:

Figure_4_medium.gif

Great article!

I'll also link this one for some more football 101 and in-depth explanations:

Examining Multiple Defensive Fronts, Featuring Kyle Williams

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/11/1927873/examining-multiple-defensive-fronts-featuring-kyle-williams

Edited by DrDareustein

If you have great players, the scheme won't matter. Especially with a great defensive mind like Rex Ryan.

People need to stop worrying, everything will be fine. Defenses use different looks, hybrid formations etc anyway.

I don't think anyone's worried. It's just interesting to see what tweaks are made in terms of personnel. Does Kyle become a situational player or does he do exactly what he's done in the past where he is just so good at what he does you can't take him off the field. Does Mario get asked to drop back? Does a player like Spikes no longer have a role and resigning him doesn't make sense? Where exactly does Preston Brown fit in? We haven't seen Kiko in an outside role because he got hurt and his rookie year he was asked to play inside? It's just conversation man not necessarily panic.

If you have great players, the scheme won't matter. Especially with a great defensive mind like Rex Ryan.

People need to stop worrying, everything will be fine. Defenses use different looks, hybrid formations etc anyway.

were gonna run both and we have the personel to do it

I know of at least two members on this board who have never, EVER coached a game in their lives. Schwartz is master @ the 4-3. Hughes and M. Williams can only work in a 4-3. You've just 1/2 neutered both of them cu'z neither one can play LB effectively.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

Oh Geeze Louise.

When has this hand wringing over OMFG WE'RE CHANGING DEFENSIVE ALIGNMENTS ever been a.) remotely warranted or b.) even based on the reality of an actual "switch!?"

OMFG we're running the Wide 9 now that Schwartz is here! Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

I know of at least two members on this board who have never, EVER coached a game in their lives. Schwartz is master @ the 4-3. Hughes and M. Williams can only work in a 4-3. You've just 1/2 neutered both of them cu'z neither one can play LB effectively.

Funny, because MW was having an excellent year at 3-4 OLB with the Texans prior to getting injured. Care to elaborate on your assertions?

I don't think anyone's worried. It's just interesting to see what tweaks are made in terms of personnel. Does Kyle become a situational player or does he do exactly what he's done in the past where he is just so good at what he does you can't take him off the field. Does Mario get asked to drop back? Does a player like Spikes no longer have a role and resigning him doesn't make sense? Where exactly does Preston Brown fit in? We haven't seen Kiko in an outside role because he got hurt and his rookie year he was asked to play inside? It's just conversation man not necessarily panic.

Many are worried. Rex will do what needs to be done.

Williams had 5 sacks in 5 games the last time he was asked to play OLB. I'm pretty sure he'll be ok...If that's what he's asked to do.

I watched part of the Bills at Jets to see what they did on D. They lined up in a 43 about 60% of the time. They did 34 some and some other stuff like D lineman moving around then bring in some DBs to blitz. One play they had only one guy on the line on 3rd and long.

Based on what I've seen and from what ReX says about round and square pegs, it appears to me anyway that the 43 will be alive and well in Buffalo. As will the 34 and a lot of other stuff.

I'm really hoping to see some 46 as well.

Edited by reddogblitz