Do you approve hiring Rex Ryan as HC

/dev/null

Do you approve hiring Rex Ryan as HC  

463 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve hiring Rex Ryan as HC

I feel like he would show up at Big Tree and have beer and wings with the fans and talk about how much he hates Belichik and Brady and how he's dying to get Sammy into space.

@MMehtaNYDN: Biggest winners today: Buffalo Bills fans

2nd biggest winners... Journalists that cover team! He will be the anti- marrone!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the available candidates, who did you want?

Considering on how bad the offense has been the last three years I was hoping for an NFL experienced offensive minded head coach, and one with a history of winning. Bill Cowher doesn't want to leave the TV booth. Mike Shanahan was probably overly greedy again, and wanted 50 mill over 5 years like the last time he interviewed.

The only remaining guy was Gary Kubiak who was able to build a very solid, power zone blocking run game. Along with tutoring an average QB into being a playoff QB in Matt Schaub. He did take the Texans to 10-6 in 2011, and 12-4 in 2012 before he was fired during that 2-14 season. That year all his RB's were injured, and his QB played all year with a bad foot.

Kubiak has done a brilliant job in building a great zone blocking offense for the Ravens this year, and he helped Flacco become a better QB. 2013 Flacco 19 TD, 23 INT's along with an offense that was ranked 25th in points, 29th in yards. Then this year the offense improved to 8th in points, and 12th in yards, huge difference. Flacco this year went 27 TD's 12 INT's while backup RB Justin Forsett became a star rushing for 1266 yards, 8 TD's with a 5.4 YPC avg.

If not those others then Broncos OC Adam Gase who built a power run game in the middle of the season once Manning started to falter. His backup RB CJ Anderson came out of nowhere to dominate in the last 5 games.

One of my favorite things this year happened when Rex Ryan talked about how his team would be 1000% better in the second game against the Bills. Then watching his jaw hit the ground in that 38-3 romp, as the Bills destroyed his team.

In 2009 Rex Ryan inherited a pretty good team from Eric Mangini that already had a a bunch of good players on both sides of the ball, a solid O line as DaBrick, and Mangold were drafted in 2006 under Mangini. Then the next year it was under Mangini that Darrelle Revis was drafted by the Jets in 2007. Mangini was fired by the Jets after taking them to a 9-7 finish in 2008.

That first season for Rex Ryan with the Jets in 2009 they only drafted 3 players in that years draft, and they were all offensive In QB Sanchez, RB Shonn Greene, and OG Matt Slauson . So that #1 overall defense came from previous drafts. In his first season he drafted Mark Sanchez, and went to the conference championship with a record of 9-7 as a wildcard. The managed that by pounding the rock, and playing great defense. The Jets did the same the very next year at 10-6, and went to the conference championship.

For whatever reason the Jets got away from what made them a formidable team in pounding the rock, as they kept asking the QB to throw more while they ran less. Then they went 8-8 in 2012. They went 6-10 in 2013. They went 4-12 in 2014. That's right, 4-12 in 2014.

To those fans who think that Rex Ryan will now give the New England Patriots / Bill Belichick- Tom Brady fits. Rex Ryan's Jets went 1-7 against New England the last four years.

2014 0-2

2013 1-1

2012 0-2

2011 0-2

2010 1-1

2009 1-1 The final result is 3 wins vs 9 losses against the Patriots in six years.

I have no idea why the Pegula's hired Rex Ryan as their new face of the team, a guy who I loved to hate as the Jets head coach. The guy was a big mouth bumbling doofus the last few years in New York. 4-12 really?

All that said, I can only hope the Pegula's have a plan!!! A plan to find a decent QB!!! A plan to fix the O line that Whaley couldn't fix the last two years!!! A plan to hire a team president to oversee the football side so the GM isn't trading away #1 picks for anything other then a franchise QB. A plan so the GM & HC are no longer reporting to the finance / marketing guy.

Was rex the coach of those teams, or the GM? Tannebaum built teams like a fantasy roster 3 years behind the times and Idzik was a colossal failure who refused to spend money on a depleted roster. I don't see your point.

Edited by stony

100% approve. This is a Doug Whaley hire, remember. I can see Whaley and Ryan having the same vision, being that Whaley is from Pittsburgh and Ryan from the Ravens originally. This will be an AFC North kind of team from now on. Which bodes well for us. I am even more interested in seeing what Roman can do with EJ. I think EJ has a coming out party next year with a coaching staff that is actually behind him.

100% approve. This is a Doug Whaley hire, remember. I can see Whaley and Ryan having the same vision, being that Whaley is from Pittsburgh and Ryan from the Ravens originally. This will be an AFC North kind of team from now on. Which bodes well for us. I am even more interested in seeing what Roman can do with EJ. I think EJ has a coming out party next year with a coaching staff that is actually behind him.

I thought Roman is a "run" guru? So the thought is that an better run game will improve EJ's accuracy?

Rex, defensive mind?Top Shelf. As a OC minded HC he wasn't exactly Given the best to work with in New Jersey.

Not an excuse but one hopes he gets it now, and knows he has some horses on the offense.

he needs a QB, but not exactly in his job desxription too find one. Passion on the gameday sideline. WTF is that? IMO

I think everyone is ready for a coach with a pulse. Don't like the 5 year contract now, It is a bonus. but could change that thought after year two.

Who else is out there with a blueprint that can beat the pats* or at least play them tough? The Jets?we should own them?

Decent hire. it's on Whaley to get him some players now.

Considering on how bad the offense has been the last three years I was hoping for an NFL experienced offensive minded head coach, and one with a history of winning. Bill Cowher doesn't want to leave the TV booth. Mike Shanahan was probably overly greedy again, and wanted 50 mill over 5 years like the last time he interviewed.

The only remaining guy was Gary Kubiak who was able to build a very solid, power zone blocking run game. Along with tutoring an average QB into being a playoff QB in Matt Schaub. He did take the Texans to 10-6 in 2011, and 12-4 in 2012 before he was fired during that 2-14 season. That year all his RB's were injured, and his QB played all year with a bad foot.

Kubiak has done a brilliant job in building a great zone blocking offense for the Ravens this year, and he helped Flacco become a better QB. 2013 Flacco 19 TD, 23 INT's along with an offense that was ranked 25th in points, 29th in yards. Then this year the offense improved to 8th in points, and 12th in yards, huge difference. Flacco this year went 27 TD's 12 INT's while backup RB Justin Forsett became a star rushing for 1266 yards, 8 TD's with a 5.4 YPC avg.

If not those others then Broncos OC Adam Gase who built a power run game in the middle of the season once Manning started to falter. His backup RB CJ Anderson came out of nowhere to dominate in the last 5 games.

I was warming up to the idea of Kubiak, just because the Bills offense was so dreadful. I really never gave Rex any thought, but as a head coach and without looking it up is Kubiak's record better than Ryan's? If they bring in a really strong OC couldn't this work? Edited by chris heff

I thought Roman is a "run" guru? So the thought is that an better run game will improve EJ's accuracy?

He is. EJ throwing the ball 40 times a game isn't going to win us any games. His passing attack is short and intermediate. Relies heavily on the run game. That's a good thing with a young QB. Let's face it, there aren't any other options this year for QB so it's best to maximize what we have.

I was warming up to the idea of Kubiak, just because the Bills offense was so dreadful. I really never gave Rex any thought, but as a head couch and without looking it up is Kubiak's record better than Ryan's? If they bring in a really strong OC couldn't this work?

At this time all we can do is hope the new owners have a plan.

"Quote"

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

The things I am hearing will literally blow your mind. (QB situation,Free Agency,'draft) it's all really amazing.

Are you prepared for the Pegula Bills?

Reborn...

Imo

This was from Leroi who broke the Rex Ryan, Greg Roman hiring yesterday

It appears they have a plan for QB, for the O line.

"Quote"

The things I am hearing will literally blow your mind. (QB situation,Free Agency,'draft) it's all really amazing.

Reborn...

Imo

What thread was this in?

"Quote"

This is just the tip of the iceberg.The things I am hearing will literally blow your mind. (QB situation,Free Agency,'draft) it's all really amazing. Are you prepared for the Pegula Bills?Reborn...

Imo

I'll give Leroi credit for the Ryan/Roman hire, but how could anyone have any idea what will happen in FA or the draft?

"Quote"

This is just the tip of the iceberg.The things I am hearing will literally blow your mind. (QB situation,Free Agency,'draft) it's all really amazing. Are you prepared for the Pegula Bills?Reborn...

Imo

There's only 1 QB name who "might" be available that would actually blow my mind - Philip Rivers

His contract is up after next year when he'll be 34. There's a chance the Chargers may say they've topped out with him and rebuild by trading him for draft picks instead of signing him to a deal they don't want to make or risk losing him for nothing.

Rex was my top choice. I think we need to play like his early Jets teams and pound the rock while winning with defense. The last thing I wanted was some offensive "genius" who would try to throw the ball 50 times a game or a first timer who would cause us to take a step back.

No one knows the division better than Rex and his players loved playing for him. I think he's a major upgrade over St. Doug and will push us into the playoffs next year.

No one knows the division better than Rex and his players loved playing for him. I think he's a major upgrade over St. Doug and will push us into the playoffs next year.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this a lot, but this is a big key...knowing the division. Rex has beaten New England - in the regular season AND the playoffs. Even this year when the Jets were bad, they gave NE two tough games that they could have won.

"Quote"

Reborn...

Imo

Leroistrodamus. I hope he continues his run of correct predictions through the "QB situation"

This is a painful hire. There is nothing that excites me about this. We just hired a guy that went 4-12. I wonder how many times in NFL history a guy that just came off that type of season he just had have been hired as a head coach by another NFL team right away. I have zero idea why this makes anyone happy.

Two questions.

One, does your opinion take into account the Jets' personnel decisions over the last few years?

Two, do you know who John Idzik is?

What thread was this in?

It was in the now closed thread. "Rex is scheduled for a second interview" posted by Leroi

From what I surmise he must have an inside source to the family (pure speculation), as they seemed to be the only people that knew in advance of the second interview. Or Whaley, Brandon and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't leak anything.

Read between the lines, QB situation is already planned out, Jay Cutler, Mark Sanchez, Matt Moore et al.

The free agent scenario, and the draft already planned out QB, OG, OG, & TE perhaps? The Pegula's have a plan, and they are installing it.

This is a painful hire. There is nothing that excites me about this. We just hired a guy that went 4-12. I wonder how many times in NFL history a guy that just came off that type of season he just had have been hired as a head coach by another NFL team right away. I have zero idea why this makes anyone happy.

While I certainly share your profound concern over this hire. The new owners are billionaires and they have a plan, and are running it. Time will tell.

It was in the now closed thread. "Rex is scheduled for a second interview" posted by Leroi

From what I surmise he must have an inside source to the family (pure speculation), as they seemed to be the only people that knew in advance of the second interview. Or Whaley, Brandon and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't leak anything.

Read between the lines, QB situation is already planned out, Jay Cutler, Mark Sanchez, Matt Moore et al.

The free agent scenario, and the draft already planned out QB, OG, OG, & TE perhaps? The Pegula's have a plan, and they are installing it.

While I certainly share your profound concern over this hire. The new owners are billionaires and they have a plan, and are running it. Time will tell.

Thank you! I wasn't calling you out; just didn't see this before...

I'll give Leroi credit for the Ryan/Roman hire, but how could anyone have any idea what will happen in FA or the draft?

You've gotta give Leroi the benefit of the doubt. If I'm not mistaken, he was the first to report a 2nd interview for Rex, the first to report Rex was hired, and the first to report Rex is bringing Roman (still unconfirmed but now widely repeated).

If Leroi says the plan for the QB situation, free agency and draft will "blow your mind," I'm guessing the plan for the draft involves a trade. Either we're trading away players for picks or trading picks for players. Otherwise, how could any draft plan be "amazing" before the fact?

Either that, or Leroi has developed a lot of faith in Whaley and his scouts and expects them to make good picks, whoever those picks might be.

The more I think about this, the less I like it. I expect Schwartz to be dumped, which I consider a mistake, and if not, it's a prescription for conflict to have two defensive minded coaches, with different systems, running the same defense.

I fell like the Pegulas went for the "big name" regardless of what made the most sense for the team.

"Quote"

Imo

The only QB available to make a play for is Jay Cutler. Is that their answer?

The more I think about this, the less I like it. I expect Schwartz to be dumped, which I consider a mistake, and if not, it's a prescription for conflict to have two defensive minded coaches, with different systems, running the same defense.

I fell like the Pegulas went for the "big name" regardless of what made the most sense for the team.

i think they wanted a guy with HC experience, and he was the best one available.

I also think they are looking long term. They may not have wanted Schwartz as HC, and knew that he would leave next year if he had an opportunity anyway.

They want to keep him as DC right now, yes they have different philosophies, but they are both successful philosophize with this group (Pettine's is Rex's) , and the Bills defensive personnel is a fit for either. Talent > Scheme

I don't know if he's the only one available. He may not even be available. Others may be. It's January.

IMO:

He will most likely be the best available (which is not saying much). Chicago will not want to pay his contract.

Rivers isn't going anywhere until SD has an heir ready to replace him. Clemens is not it.

Eli, forget about it. Giants won't part with him for the same reason as Rivers.

Who else is there? (FA cupboard is bare)

Edited by voodoo poonani

IMO:

He will most likely be the best available (which is not saying much). Chicago will not want to pay his contract.

Rivers isn't going anywhere until SD has an heir ready to replace him. Clemens is not it.

Eli, forget about it. Giants won't part with him for the same reason as Rivers.

Who else is there? (FA cupboard is bare)

I'm not a Cutler fan. So much so that I would take Sanchez before him who is a FA. Or Matt Moore who is a FA. Or Sam Bradford who may be cut or traded. So I'm probably not the best person to ask who is better than Cutler!

I'm not a Cutler fan. So much so that I would take Sanchez before him who is a FA. Or Matt Moore who is a FA. Or Sam Bradford who may be cut or traded. So I'm probably not the best person to ask who is better than Cutler!

Bradford would be a great choice; it's too bad he blew the same ACL twice....