Schwartz may remain DC...

YoloinOhio

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My post was written from a Bills FO perspective. It doesnt do the team any good to make Schwartz Asst HC since it doesnt give us any additional leverage to keep him around. The only reason you give guys that title is to shield them from getting cherry-picked by other teams.

Whether any of them would accept the "promotion" would be up to them.

Ok, i get your perspective. I just don't see someone locking themselves in with a 'faux' promotion that limits their ability to move up in the coaching ranks.

Ok, i get your perspective. I just don't see someone locking themselves in with a 'faux' promotion that limits their ability to move up in the coaching ranks.

Agreed from the coach's perspective, but if TPegs throws in an additional $1mil/year I bet you would think about it! :thumbsup:

Another thing to consider: Anything from Coordinator through the position coaches is looked at as a lateral move. So when the Giants come asking to interview Johnson for their DC spot, the Bills could technically deny it. Most teams just dont because they dont want to be jerks. So taking the Asst HC title and a raise really doesnt hurt his ability to move at all.

All of these titles are just about ego-stroking. Another reason I think a position coach would take the Asst HC title. Pads his resume.

Schwartz might not WANT to stay and work in Rex's shadow.

He also might feel miffed that he wasn't hired as HC.

IMO if Schwartz wants to go they will let him.

Not a chance they would not let him go if he wanted to. You wouldnt bring in the best defensive coach or mind in the league and then force a guy who didnt want to be there on him. It was different before they had a coach and they wouldn't let him interview laterally.

There's no need to make Schwartz an Asst Head Coach. We can already deny interviews for a DC spot, and we still cant deny interviews for a HC spot (even as an Asst HC).

It only makes sense to give Johnson, Henderson, or Thurman the title so other teams are forced to ask permission for anything but a HC spot.

I assumed if Schwartz is named Asst Head Coach then Thurman will be DC. Bottom line is, these are all just titles, and getting these guys on the same page to build a great defense is all that really matters.

I assumed if Schwartz is named Asst Head Coach then Thurman will be DC. Bottom line is, these are all just titles, and getting these guys on the same page to build a great defense is all that really matters.

But how many DCs do you need? Ryan, Schwartz and Thurman are all pretty much their own DC....You need one guy in charge with his own system. Schwartz doesn't need help coaching his own defense.

IMO rex and schwartz are incompatible. 2 strong defensive minds with different approaches. Plus Rex is not just going to hand the defense over to someone and give Schwartz the independence he had with marrone. Our defense will be fine either way because their success was due mostly to personell.

Schwartz is perfect for the giants DC gig or if not there he'll land one of the other openings like DC. Bills should grant him permission now.

IMO its an easy call he's not here next year

Edited by JTSP

Schwartz might not WANT to stay and work in Rex's shadow.

He also might feel miffed that he wasn't hired as HC.

IMO if Schwartz wants to go they will let him.

As he also might realize no one is going to offer him a HC position at this point so its in his best interest to stay where he has a dominant unit, pick Ryan's defensive brain, becoming a better DC in the process and increase his pedigree/resume and give himself a chance to become a HC again. Or he could go to a team like Washington, and his stock goes down the toilet if they don't get him some talent

I'm a writer. I most often write everything myself. I have a lot of confidence in what I can do and always, always think I can do it very well for whomever is hiring me. Arrogantly, to some degree, I think a lot of other writers are not very good. It's just a personal taste I'm sure, and they probably say the same thing about me.

But...

If I'm hired to do a project, and the company or person who hires me says we have this other guy we want you to collaborate with, who is as good as you (and I respect as well), although you two have completely different styles, I don't think I cannot work with this person and I will just go off and do something myself. I think, this is awesome and it's going to be a blast working with this guy or girl, even if I think I am a little better than them. Or even they're more successful than me.

It's not the exact same thing but pretty close.

Just because Ryan and Schwartz have big egos and different styles doesn't mean they cannot co-exist. Callahan and Linehan and Garrett seemed to split the Cowboys offense three ways and it was awesome this year.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

As he also might realize no one is going to offer him a HC position at this point so its in his best interest to stay where he has a dominant unit, pick Ryan's defensive brain, becoming a better DC in the process and increase his pedigree/resume and give himself a chance to become a HC again. Or he could go to a team like Washington, and his stock goes down the toilet if they don't get him some talent

It's not about what Schwartz wants

It's not about what Schwartz wants

Sure it is, as long as other teams want him, and at least one already inquired.

There is zero chance the Bills will stop him now, even for a lateral move if he wants to go to another team.

The Seahawks may want him, because Quinn is probably leaving. That would be a great spot for him to go and do just what he did for the Bills. But the Hawks may not want a guy who will just be there for a year and then go on to another team (although they might, thinking this is their window to win it all and take it one year at a time.

Sure it is, as long as other teams want him, and at least one already inquired.

There is zero chance the Bills will stop him now, even for a lateral move if he wants to go to another team.

The Seahawks may want him, because Quinn is probably leaving. That would be a great spot for him to go and do just what he did for the Bills. But the Hawks may not want a guy who will just be there for a year and then go on to another team (although they might, thinking this is their window to win it all and take it one year at a time.

In terms of staying in buffalo, which is the post i was replying to. I'd already stated at this point he's most likely suited to one of the other DC openings

In terms of staying in buffalo, which is the post i was replying to. I'd already stated at this point he's most likely suited to one of the other DC openings

Why is he mostly likely suited to other teams. if Rex says you can run your defense, why change it, and together we will just work on the game plans and a few ways that I like to attack but it's your baby and you call the plays, then he's most suited right where he is. And there is a decent chance of it. When Pettine left the Jets, Rex called it "his defense" (meaning Pettine's)