Schwartz may remain DC...

YoloinOhio

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be the only one who doesn't want Schwartz back. Ryan has been successful with his defenses his entire career, even in his later Jets' years when the talent on D wasn't great. Schwartz's success has been directly correlated to the talent level of his D. When the talent level wasn't top notch his Ds weren't very good.

I much prefer Rex's D to Schwartz's. People keep thinking that the run D is going to suffer but Ryan has had lots of success vs. the run with his Ds. Pettine's failure vs. the run is not Ryan's. I'm excited to see what Ryan can do with the talent on this D. I don't think he's had a D this loaded since his days in Baltimore.

I might be the only one who doesn't want Schwartz back. Ryan has been successful with his defenses his entire career, even in his later Jets' years when the talent on D wasn't great. Schwartz's success has been directly correlated to the talent level of his D. When the talent level wasn't top notch his Ds weren't very good.

I much prefer Rex's D to Schwartz's. People keep thinking that the run D is going to suffer but Ryan has had lots of success vs. the run with his Ds. Pettine's failure vs. the run is not Ryan's. I'm excited to see what Ryan can do with the talent on this D. I don't think he's had a D this loaded since his days in Baltimore.

I'm with you. Just creates more trouble than its worth if he stays. But since I see the odds of him staying so low, I don't think its a really a concern

chances are, Schwartz would love to take a raise and - as KTD points out - collaborate with the son of the coach who schemed up the defenses that he, Fisher, Greggo, and countless others were weaned on in the 90's.. other than a HC gig, how much better does it get for a football coach. this talk of philosophical differences is bs - they have more that joins them, than seperates them.

chances are, Schwartz would love to take a raise and - as KTD points out - collaborate with the son of the coach who schemed up the defenses that he, Fisher, Greggo, and countless others were weaned on in the 90's.. other than a HC gig, how much better does it get for a football coach. this talk of philosophical differences is bs - they have more that joins them, than seperates them.

Well said.

Not sure if Schwartz stays or goes, but you sold me on why it is a good reason for him to stay.

IF Rex and Schwartz feel they can work together i am all for it. They also seem like two guys who are not going to bs one another. They will state expectations and roles and if they match up Schwartz stays.

I hope Schwartz stays and Ryan lets him keep on doing his thing. This definitely ain't broke and don't need fixin'.

But just wait till something goes wrong. Rex and Jim in a room = more Ego Per Unit Volume than any situation outside Congress.

chances are, Schwartz would love to take a raise and - as KTD points out - collaborate with the son of the coach who schemed up the defenses that he, Fisher, Greggo, and countless others were weaned on in the 90's.. other than a HC gig, how much better does it get for a football coach. this talk of philosophical differences is bs - they have more that joins them, than seperates them.Well said.
This is my take too. The best long play for Schwartz is stay in Buffalo for another year with this beast roster, Swap strategies with Rexy then lineup a HC interview in 2016. Jumping to a DC gig for the Gints or Deadskins like delays his chance to be a HC again because now he is a 1 year stop on his resume. Which can be explained away but it still may make some owners/GMs uneasy. That is if Rexy can keep his fingers out of Schwartz' snack jar.

This is my take too.

The best long play for Schwartz is stay in Buffalo for another year with this beast roster, Swap strategies with Rexy then lineup a HC interview in 2016.

Jumping to a DC gig for the Gints or Deadskins like delays his chance to be a HC again because now he is a 1 year stop on his resume. Which can be explained away but it still may make some owners/GMs uneasy.

That is if Rexy can keep his fingers out of Schwartz' snack jar.

Dude he is a football coach not an accountant. No GM will care he stayed 1 year given a new Head Coach was brought in who is a defensive expert who also brought in his previous DC. I want him to stay cause changing something so dominant to a scheme that we may not have the players for sounds like little upside but potentially big downside.

This is my take too.

The best long play for Schwartz is stay in Buffalo for another year with this beast roster, Swap strategies with Rexy then lineup a HC interview in 2016.

Jumping to a DC gig for the Gints or Deadskins like delays his chance to be a HC again because now he is a 1 year stop on his resume. Which can be explained away but it still may make some owners/GMs uneasy.

That is if Rexy can keep his fingers out of Schwartz' snack jar.

Dude he is a football coach not an accountant. No GM will care he stayed 1 year given a new Head Coach was brought in who is a defensive expert who also brought in his previous DC. I want him to stay cause changing something so dominant to a scheme that we may not have the players for sounds like little upside but potentially big downside.

Incorrect. If anything the 1 year stop will hurt him more than an accountant.

I want him to stay cause changing something so dominant to a scheme that we may not have the players for sounds like little upside but potentially big downside.

if we hired anyone other than Ryan or Labeau, i'd be right with you.. they may have screwed with the D, which is why my initial ask was Schwartz and Johnson to move up, with a capable OC added to the mix. but leave it to Terry P to think outside the box, and not limit this rebuild of the staff to just the offensive side of the ball. if Schwartz wants to stay, he'll be given an opportunity to continue building a championship D with a guy he can bounce stuff off. meanwhile, Roman - the mad scientist - has his job to do.. rebuild the line and spread things out vertcally for a strong armed QB who'll need time getting comfortable throwing into tight windows. stretch those windows, Roman! you guys remember Gruden's observation to Eli before we drafted him? "you like to throw it up and have your guys go get it" as he showed him clips of vertical passes and repeated during each one, "go get it!".. "go get it". it's a piece of the kid's game that got buried in Marrone's O. Jeez, it'll be nice to see us take advnatage of all that sweet field possession we're gonna get. :w00t:

Edited by BackInDaDay

if we hired anyone other than Ryan or Labeau, i'd be right with you.. they may have screwed with the D, which is why my initial ask was Schwartz and Johnson to move up, with a capable OC added to the mix. but leave it to Terry P to think outside the box, and not limit this rebuild of the staff to just the offensive side of the ball. if Schwartz wants to stay, he'll be given an opportunity to continue building a championship D with a guy he can bounce stuff off. meanwhile, Roman - the mad scientist - has his job to do.. rebuild the line and spread things out vertcally for a strong armed QB who'll need time getting comfortable throwing into tight windows. stretch those windows, Roman! you guys remember Gruden's observation to Eli before we drafted him? "you like to throw it up and have your guys go get it" as he showed him clips of vertical passes and repeated during each one, "go get it!".. "go get it". it's a piece of the kid's game that got buried in Marrone's O. Jeez, it'll be nice to see us take advnatage of all that sweet field possession we're gonna get. :w00t:

Eli who?

I agree with most of this in principle, but I will say one thing for Scwartz. He displayed an unexpected level of self-control by not tripping over his own schwartz and trying to play too much with the most loaded toybox he's ever likely to see.

Might be crazy, but I can see this as analogous to the Allman Brothers Band: Duane Allman and Dickey Betts. Both knew whose name was was on the band, but Dickey could really play, too. Imagine the defensive meetings . . .

Schwartz: "So this is the gameplan with a 4-3."

Ryan: "I've noticed they like to do this (insert tendency) when they are are 2nd and short. What do you think of doing this (insert defense) and really mess that up, but it comes from a base 3-4. We could use these guys (insert). I bet they have never seen that before!"

Schwartz: "That's funky, But let's do it this way!"

Sometimes competition (especially with these types of guys) can be a good.

Edited by Chas56