Schwartz may remain DC...

YoloinOhio

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the Bills don't have the players to run his 3-4 D.

We did a year ago with Pettine. Our Lbs are better suited for 4-3 but Ryan would make it work. Most we'd have to do is add another OLB if Hughes leaves.

Ryan will want his own staff. I don't think Schwartz will stay......

Where is Schwartz going? He's not a HC candidate anywhere. There's been interest for DC spots elsewhere, but why jump to another place?

Staying in Buffalo is the best bet to land another HC gig. The D is loaded with talent, and if the D manages to improve, Schwartz will get much of the credit, especially by being adaptable to different schemes.

Unless his ego won't allow him to stay on, Buffalo is the ideal spot for him.

Where is Schwartz going? He's not a HC candidate anywhere. There's been interest for DC spots elsewhere, but why jump to another place?

Staying in Buffalo is the best bet to land another HC gig. The D is loaded with talent, and if the D manages to improve, Schwartz will get much of the credit, especially by being adaptable to different schemes.

7 page thread and this is all you need to read. :beer:

I'll add this though: Didn't the 4-3 -- 3-4 debate rage on here for months when Schwartz came on board? There is so much 'melding' of fronts and various secondary packages that a lot of this stuff becomes to-MA-to vs. to-mah-to (sic). Great coaches can win with great talent. I think we have both. My personal hope is that Rex focuses more on being a CEO type head coach... and lets Schwartz 'do his thing' for the most part.

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

I've read that some are saying how do you hire a defensive HC noted for his high pressure defense, and then not run it?

3-4 vs 4-3 and one defense blitzes 38%, and the other around 24%. While both defenses work well, and each have their own unique way of getting QB sacks, pressures. I gotta wonder if the Bills FO just came up with a super hybrid formula for an ultra defensive scheme or just mixed oil and water?

I'll be honest, as I thought Schwartz did a brilliant job with the defense last season by leading the NFL in sacks, and being #3 in pass defense while mostly rushing just the front four. I can only imagine the defense will get better with Kiko returning this year.

I still don't get the Ryan hire when the team was desperate for a top offensive mind, and didn't need another defensive mind. :unsure:

I don't see Schwartz staying, but I don't what the mechanics of his exit might be. He likely won't get credit for a good defense if he stays, although it would reflect positively on him if he showed he could work with Rex. We'll see. If I'm him, though, I'm looking at the Giants and Bears -- two signature teams with nowhere to go but up. (The Redskins are another such team.) He wants another HC gig, and those positions might be surer paths.

If he really does want to leave, I highly doubt the Bills would stop him from leaving.

I don't see Schwartz staying, but I don't what the mechanics of his exit might be. He likely won't get credit for a good defense if he stays, although it would reflect positively on him if he showed he could work with Rex. We'll see. If I'm him, though, I'm looking at the Giants and Bears -- two signature teams with nowhere to go but up. (The Redskins are another such team.) He wants another HC gig, and those positions might be surer paths.

If he really does want to leave, I highly doubt the Bills would stop him from leaving.

It's a really tough choice for him. To me, IF Rex would let him run is D, and it doesnt change much, one more year on the Bills is his best bet because he still would get the credit from the people in the league, even with the Bills players. If he leaves, even though he is good, his D may not be in the top 10 let alone top 2-3, and suddenly he is not as hot a HC commodity. And teams may not want a guy who is looking to leave in one year. Pettine did it but most people thought it would take 2-3.

I'm not saying he wants to leave. Not sure Ryan wants him to stay or will make it easy for him to stay. I would like to keep Schwartz.....

Edited by nucci

I'm not saying he wants to leave. Not sure Ryan wants him to stay or will make it easy for him to stay. I would like to keep Schwartz.....

You have Ryan's defensive staff in NY and Schwartz's in Buffalo, not enough room for them all. What happens? Will Schwartz fire some of his and stay as DC?

Schwart's familiarity with the NFC North and their lack of familiarity with the Bills players made a big difference this year. Whether or not he stays is of little consequence, and it is likely that this defense will improve regardless. Without Dareus in the lineup, for whatever reason, I feel like Ran would be better equipped to scheme around it with a little more success. That being said, the defense needs Dareus big time. He is the tip of the Bills defensive spear.

To me, Pepper Johnson is the wild card. If he leaves, that creates room for Thurman to join the squad as the DC in waiting. Will also depend on whether Henderson is retained. If Henderson leaves I can also see Thurman replacing him.

Reading between the lines, Whaley wants to keep Schwartz, and they certainly discussed that on Thursday & Saturday with Ryan. There's no way they would leave something as serious as that unresolved.

To me, Pepper Johnson is the wild card. If he leaves, that creates room for Thurman to join the squad as the DC in waiting. Will also depend on whether Henderson is retained. If Henderson leaves I can also see Thurman replacing him.

Reading between the lines, Whaley wants to keep Schwartz, and they certainly discussed that on Thursday & Saturday with Ryan. There's no way they would leave something as serious as that unresolved.

I agree. Just curious how they worked it out.

They have the same agent as well, so I'm pretty sure Schwartz knew early that Rex was getting the job.

I agree. That has to be a resolved issue in principle at least.

There's no way they didn't talk about that elephant in the room.

Ryan will want his own staff. I don't think Schwartz will stay......

It's like you haven't read ANY of the reports coming out that the Bills want Schwartz to stay. If in fact they want him to stay, Rex would have had to agree to that stipulation when they were interviewing him.

It's like you haven't read ANY of the reports coming out that the Bills want Schwartz to stay. If in fact they want him to stay, Rex would have had to agree to that stipulation when they were interviewing him.

You're right. No reason for any discussion on this.

I agree. That has to be a resolved issue in principle at least.

There's no way they didn't talk about that elephant in the room.

Rex WAS the elephant in the room. According to my sources, apparently there were two.

Ba-da-ching!

:lol: