Schwartz may remain DC...

YoloinOhio

The Bills announced on Monday that Rex Ryan is their new coach. Ryan is expected to bring on Dennis Thurman as defensive coordinator, according to NFL Media's Kimberly Jones. Niners offensive coordinator Greg Roman is the favorite to for the same role in Buffalo, per NFL Media Insider ian Rapoport.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451073/article/coaching-visits-tracker

just spreading the speculation

At this point it's just an echo from what was being speculated on yesterday. I'll believe it when it's announced.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills announced on Monday that Rex Ryan is their new coach. Ryan is expected to bring on Dennis Thurman as defensive coordinator, according to NFL Media's Kimberly Jones. Niners offensive coordinator Greg Roman is the favorite to for the same role in Buffalo, per NFL Media Insider ian Rapoport.

Now this is something I'll be anxiously awaiting official word on!

As much as I want Schwartz to stay, Im not that worried about it. Even if he does stay, that means we most likely have him for only 1 more year.

So it's either keep some continuity going this year, and then change next year. Or change now, and keep continuity for the next few years (at least).

just spreading the speculation

kim jones reported yesterday that Rex was expected to bring Jets DC Thurman on staff. Did not say it was as DC here. It has been reported by multiple sources that they want to retain Schwartz and the ball is in his court. Schwartz and Ryan are meeting today.

Now this is something I'll be anxiously awaiting official word on!

As much as I want Schwartz to stay, Im not that worried about it. Even if he does stay, that means we most likely have him for only 1 more year.

So it's either keep some continuity going this year, and then change next year. Or change now, and keep continuity for the next few years (at least).

Yeah, Schwartz did a great job. It's laughable that people thought Pettine was a big loss.

But let's be honest. Our defense makes coaches good. ITs just shows how miserable Wanny was. I want Scwartz back but Rex knows what he is doing. Our defense makes head coaches.

kim jones reported yesterday that Rex was expected to bring Jets DC Thurman on staff. Did not say it was as DC here. It has been reported by multiple sources that they want to retain Schwartz and the ball is in his court. Schwartz and Ryan are meeting today.

I think it will come down to defensive philosphies. If Ryan decides not to rock the D boat and have Schwartz continue for at least one more year, it will be a win-win. It allows Schwartz another year to build his resume. It allows Thurman to be the apprentice in case Schwartz lands an HC job next season. Finally, it allows Ryan to focus more of his attention on staffing up the O. Any new HC will need time to set the identity of the team and personnel. If he can get Schwartz to say, it is one huge area where he can save a lot of time and headache.

I think it will come down to defensive philosphies. If Ryan decides not to rock the D boat and have Schwartz continue for at least one more year, it will be a win-win. It allows Schwartz another year to build his resume. It allows Thurman to be the apprentice in case Schwartz lands an HC job next season. Finally, it allows Ryan to focus more of his attention on staffing up the O. Any new HC will need time to set the identity of the team and personnel. If he can get Schwartz to say, it is one huge area where he can save a lot of time and headache.

Agreed. Ryan will need to focus on his 4th down punting chart.

maybe move schwartz (or thurman) to asst. head coach?

There's no need to make Schwartz an Asst Head Coach. We can already deny interviews for a DC spot, and we still cant deny interviews for a HC spot (even as an Asst HC).

It only makes sense to give Johnson, Henderson, or Thurman the title so other teams are forced to ask permission for anything but a HC spot.

keeps a good D coach and brings in another for depth

not necessarily, is it just a title or added responsibility? My guess is these guys want to coach with their system and their assistants. Just handing out a new title might not appease them.

There's no need to make Schwartz an Asst Head Coach. We can already deny interviews for a DC spot, and we still cant deny interviews for a HC spot (even as an Asst HC).

It only makes sense to give Johnson, Henderson, or Thurman the title so other teams are forced to ask permission for anything but a HC spot.

Makes no sense, so Pepper Johnson would change his title to assistant HC, hurting his chances of getting his wish to be a DC.

Makes no sense, so Pepper Johnson would change his title to assistant HC, hurting his chances of getting his wish to be a DC.

My post was written from a Bills FO perspective. It doesnt do the team any good to make Schwartz Asst HC since it doesnt give us any additional leverage to keep him around. The only reason you give guys that title is to shield them from getting cherry-picked by other teams.

Whether any of them would accept the "promotion" would be up to them.