Schwartz may remain DC...

YoloinOhio

how about Spikes? can we should Bills keep him under Rex ?

Would love to. I think that Rex is going to lobby hard for the Bills to sign David Harris, who is a stud. I always liked him so I would be thrilled with him.

I'm not convinced that Rex is going to a 3-4 defense. He may stay with our basic system, or the hybrid that Pettine ran, and then add his inspired chaos to it.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about Spikes? can we should Bills keep him under Rex ?

Rex actually seems to love Spikes attitude and toughness.

Ryan was being asked about Buffalos defense in one of his conference calls this past season and he quickly mentioned two players specifically in his comment.

(Brandon) Spikes is one of those guys that I like because he's a tough guy, a mean guy, a tough a**, said Ryan. I like guys that are competitors and that's why I like him so much. That's why I like Kyle Williams so much.

Ryan has mentioned Kyle Williams almost every season he has been head coach of the Jets on his conference calls, so the new Bills head coach has to be pretty pumped that he now gets a chance to coach him.

http://m.buffalobills.com/s/30841/367?itemPos=3&itemUri=1439349777%2F98714116141215159051090151342

Edited by Beef Jerky

I wanted Schwartz to stay. He did a great job last year. But I would imagine if you asked 32 owners and 32 GMs and 31 Head Coaches who would you want running your defense, Jim Schwartz or Rex Ryan, it would probably be somewhere about 85-10 Ryan. Maybe 90-5. It's just a guess but it seems that everyone thinks he's just about the best.

Rex Ryan is generally regarded as the 1-2 best defensive minds in the game, right up there with Bellichick as far as straight defense goes (because Bellichick seems to be involved in the entire team and not just defense)

I wanted Schwartz to stay. He did a great job last year. But I would imagine if you asked 32 owners and 32 GMs and 31 Head Coaches who would you want running your defense, Jim Schwartz or Rex Ryan, it would probably be somewhere about 85-10 Ryan. Maybe 90-5. It's just a guess but it seems that everyone thinks he's just about the best.

Rex Ryan is generally regarded as the 1-2 best defensive minds in the game, right up there with Bellichick as far as straight defense goes (because Bellichick seems to be involved in the entire team and not just defense)

Yes. but he is the Head Coach. I want his coordinators to be the best at their respective positions. Having the HC focused on one side of the ball is not wise.

Besides Seattle schwartz might well have the best defense in the league. I dont care to change what worked very very well this past year.

Edited by 3rdand12

Yes. but he is the Head Coach. I want his coordinators to be the best at their respective positions. Having the HC focused on one side of the ball is not wise.

Besides Seattle schwartz might well have the defense in the league. I dont care to change what worked very very well this past year.

I want Rex to stay away from the offense. ;)

theres my conundrum KTD.

We had fielded a very strong defense this past season.

its the Offense that needed fixin

And he's already got a guy with a good foundation and history to run it. Hopefully Rex will be able to draw a terrific OL coach to the team, too, establish his philosophy and then step out of Roman's way.

Exactly. It made no sense, and once they hired Ryan this outcome was inevitable. So now they blow it all up AGAIN, Rex fires a prerfectly good, successful defensive staff, brings in his own toadies and spends all his time obsessed with the defense. Sixth defensive coordinator change in eight years. Idiocy.

Rex wants to keep schwartz. He did not fire him. Jim left on his own...

I am feeling like they will let Hughes go and bring in a pass rushing OLB from somewhere... not good.

why... not... just... keep...hughes......o_0 Edited by kr632

I want Rex to stay away from the offense. ;)

I don't know if you're just having a bit 'o' fun, but if you're serious then I disagree.

I want Rex very involved with the offense once the season starts, particularly on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

I don't know if you're just having a bit 'o' fun, but if you're serious then I disagree.

I want Rex very involved with the offense once the season starts, particularly on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

It depends on who comes on board with Roman. If he gets a guy like Callahan to be the OL coach I want Rex on O less and less.

I do agree with game planning and how to combat defenses mid week, and that kind of stuff. But I want him to do what he does best, concentrate on the D, and let the offensive guys mostly run the offense.

It depends on who comes on board with Roman. If he gets a guy like Callahan to be the OL coach I want Rex on O less and less.

I do agree with game planning and how to combat defenses mid week, and that kind of stuff. But I want him to do what he does best, concentrate on the D, and let the offensive guys mostly run the offense.

I'll throw a one-man party if they can figure out a way to get Bill Callahan on board.

But as far as analyzing opponents/game-planning/self-scouting/quality control/etc Rex can provide a unique perspective on how oppoinents are likely to attack the Bills and how that can compromise the integrity of opposing defenses. When they're implementing the offense during the offseason and calling it on gameday, I agree Rex should be concentrating elsewhere, but he's got too valuable a pair of eyes to not utilize them as much as possible.

That would be as dumb as acquiring a stud WR and then making him an afterthought in your offense. :wallbash:

Rex wants to keep schwartz. He did not fire him. Jim left on his own...

why... not... just... keep...hughes......o_0

I couldn't see Schwartz staying with either a new defensive coordinator-type HC (Rex) or with any first-time coach without a pedigree (Gase, etc.). In fact, I'm having trouble thinking of what new HC he'd be comfortable staying with, knowing that he was passed over for the job. John Fox maybe? So he was good as gone when Marrone skipped town. As for Hughes: I like him. Fine player. But probably no better than the 5th most important player on this defense (Mario, Dareus, Bradham, Gilmore, Kyle, even maybe Brown and Kiko if healthy), due a huge salary. We kind of need to apply that money to a pathetic offense, no?

Edited by The Frankish Reich