Post Interview Rumors???

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirby changed his original post that stated guys don't sneak through the cracks anymore, therefore Lomardi1 argument was invalid.

Boy do you have a lot to learn.

I'm done boys.

I didn't really change anything. I shouldn't have said guys never fall through the cracks. The point was that it is very, very, very, very, very rare for quality QBs to fall through the cracks in today's NFL. Chuck Wagon makes the exact point about people arguing outliers. 2 guys since 2000 besides for Brady and Romo have led a team to the playoffs that were drafted after the 3rd round (Cassel & Tavaris). There are way, way, way, way, way, way, way more QBs drafted there that have failed.

And the new GM of the Bears, Ryan Pace (came from Saints)

Also, Mike Heimerdinger, Brad Childress

Not surprised at all to see Ryan Pace land a GM job. He was a guy that's name came up a while back as one of the key guys in putting together that Saints team.

Sometimes you play the odds and it still doesn't work out as you hoped. Still, the odds are what they are for a reason.

Nothing is for sure in life or in sports... everything is about probability. The fact remains that it is incredibly MORE likely that you will find your long-term answer at QB in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft than rounds 3-7.

You can be the one who says "But Romo! But Brady!" and counts on 5th and 6th rounders to be your QB.

That is like playing the lottery as a strategy for financial security. If it works you are golden, but have you seen the people who spend their entire paychecks at the gas station buying scratch-offs every Friday while you're stuck behind them just waiting to buy a f****** coffee?!

Do they seem like the type that have it all figured out?

I didn't really change anything. I shouldn't have said guys never fall through the cracks. The point was that it is very, very, very, very, very rare for quality QBs to fall through the cracks in today's NFL. Chuck Wagon makes the exact point about people arguing outliers. 2 guys since 2000 besides for Brady and Romo have led a team to the playoffs that were drafted after the 3rd round (Cassel & Tavaris). There are way, way, way, way, way, way, way more QBs drafted there that have failed.

Yes way.

GO BILLS!!!

I believe the writing's on the wall for both Shanahans to end up in Buffalo. Kyle's interview Thursday went from a mandatory head coaching meeting to a coach OR coordinator one.

If he's hired for either one of the roles, Buffalo will choose from 3 sets of options.

1. Mike as head coach and Kyle as OC (like they were in DC)

2. Kyle as head coach, with a new OC, and Mike as President/Director of Football Operations

3. A new HC that's NOT a Shanahan, with Kyle as OC and Mike as President/Director of Football Operations

And.... The person who I believe is most likely to fill in the blanks in lines 2 and 3 is....

Baltimore OC and former Houston HC Gary Kubiak, who could leave the Ravens (like Kyle left Cleveland), as soon as the season ends for his current team.

The connection between all 3 is obvious and there's a lot to like about Kubiak, who turned Baltimore's offense into a juggernaut in 2014.

Gary was Mike's OC in Denver, when the Broncos won back-to-back Super Bowls in 1997 and '98.

And Kyle was Gary's OC in Houston before becoming his Dad's in Washington.

Personally, I like the Shanny plan, but would prefer Mike or Koobs as the Bills new HC. I just don't think Kyle's ready yet to be "the guy".

Thoughts??

Edited by dcjoev

I believe the writing's on the wall for both Shanahans to end up in Buffalo. Kyle's interview today went from a mandatory head coaching meeting to a coach OR coordinator one. If he's hired for either one of the roles, Buffalo will choose from 3 sets of options.

2. Kyle as head coach, with a new OC, and Mike as President/Director of Football Operations

3. A new HC that's NOT a Shanahan, with Kyle as OC and Mike as President/Director of Football Operations

And.... The person who I believe is most likely to fill in the blanks in lines 2 and 3 is.... Ravens OC Gary Kubiak, who could leave Baltimore (like Kyle left Cleveland), as soon as the season ends for his current team.

The connection between all 3 is obvious and there's a lot to like about Kubiak, who turned Baltimore's offense into a juggernaut in 2014.

Gary was Mike's OC in Denver, when the Broncos won back-to-back Super Bowls in 1997 and '98.

Personally, I like the Shanny plan, but would prefer Mike or Koobs as the Bills new HC. I just don't think Kyle's ready yet to be "the guy".

Thoughts??

Im not sure we'll be able to get Kubiak out of Baltimore for just an OC position. However, we might be able to pull off:

Mike Shanahan - Pres of Football Ops (or whatever consultant-to-owners role Pegulas have in mind)

Doug Whaley - GM

Gary Kubiak - HC

Kyle Shanahan - OC

Jim Schwartz - DC

Id be very happy with that. Only thing Id be careful of is stepping on Whaley's toes. I'd rather keep him than bring in Mike Shanahan in the FO, if it came down to either/or.

Edited by DrDareustein

In case anyone is wondering exactly where these interviews are happening, and what the house looks like:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17309-White-Haven-Dr-Boca-Raton-FL-33496/46627488_zpid/

some better pics here:

http://www.goldenbearrealty.com/property/rx-9978761-17309-white-haven-dr-boca-raton-fl-33496/

Kitchen needs major updating. Maybe he's inviting Rex over to get his opinion on cabinets?

Sometimes you play the odds and it still doesn't work out as you hoped. Still, the odds are what they are for a reason.

Nothing is for sure in life or in sports... everything is about probability. The fact remains that it is incredibly MORE likely that you will find your long-term answer at QB in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft than rounds 3-7.

You can be the one who says "But Romo! But Brady!" and counts on 5th and 6th rounders to be your QB.

That is like playing the lottery as a strategy for financial security. If it works you are golden, but have you seen the people who spend their entire paychecks at the gas station buying scratch-offs every Friday while you're stuck behind them just waiting to buy a f****** coffee?!

Do they seem like the type that have it all figured out?

No one ever advocated a lottery strategy to find a QB. Someone said the current scouting methods "don't allow them to fall through the cracks", because they are so great at it. This is BS and has been removed now by that person. The wolfpack has twisted this all over the place. Thanks for sharing probability with us, no one else on here had any idea about that. Learn something new everyday.

No one ever advocated a lottery strategy to find a QB. Someone said the current scouting methods "don't allow them to fall through the cracks", because they are so great at it. This is BS and has been removed now by that person. The wolfpack has twisted this all over the place. Thanks for sharing probability with us, no one else on here had any idea about that. Learn something new everyday.

Would you agree that modern scouting is infinitely more successful than generations past? Also, nothing was ever removed. In the next post I said that I shouldn't use ALL (or any absolute for that matter). I guess that I am under arrest by the semantics police.

The point still stands whether it be all (or all with the exception of 2 guys) QBs don't fall through the cracks anymore. It isn't just because scouts have access to WAY more information than they did even a decade ago. It is also in large part that teams are so fearful of missing out on the next big thing that they will gamble in the 1st round on Ponder, Gabbert, or (gasp) EJ. The new CBA allowed for this as well. Teams are not financially hamstrung if these guys don't work out. They would rather swing and miss in the 1st than pass on a guy that develops into a franchise QB.

Just as a quick aside on scouting and technology. We met with the GM of an NBA team as he was scouting players for the upcoming draft and he talked about this very thing. The player that he was scouting at the time was Harrison Barnes. As an example he put on the tape and set the filter. He typed that he wanted to see "every jumpshot off the dribble, going left between 15 and 20 feet that Barnes had shot in the current season." As soon as he hit enter, that's what he had. After that he altered the filter to see "spot up 3's from the left hand corner."

You get the point. This is just an anecdotal story as to the availability of information that is circulating now (that was like 5 years ago). This type of access and analysis is why you see less and less busts and less and less guys falling through the cracks. There will always be exceptions but as time goes on they will continue to be less and less.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I believe the writing's on the wall for both Shanahans to end up in Buffalo. Kyle's interview today went from a mandatory head coaching meeting to a coach OR coordinator one. If he's hired for either one of the roles, Buffalo will choose from 3 sets of options.

And.... The person who I believe is most likely to fill in the blanks in lines 2 and 3 is.... Ravens OC Gary Kubiak, who could leave Baltimore (like Kyle left Cleveland), as soon as the season ends for his current team.

Thoughts??

After reading the article linked on page 4 of the "Browns part ways with Kyle Shanahan" thread, this scenario makes me very nervous. If what's stated there is true, it speaks very poorly for both Dad and son. Edited by BillnutinHouston

Thoughts??

Um, yeah?

Kubiak as HC is possible once he is free, if he chooses to interview.

He is not likely a candidate for your Scenario #2, because it would be a parallel move - and contract with the Ravens aside, why on earth would he do that, even if it didn't mean going from a playoff contender to a team with a questionable QB situation? How many of us who already have good jobs want to go report to our former underling?

The problem is though beyond these 12 and the other three mentioned, the remaining teams all have below average, to weak, to poor QB's Sure everyone wants to be in the top 75%, but just not nearly enough talent to go around at QB. I think it's a problem the league needs to really try to figure out a way to develop better QB play. 25 years ago there were plenty of teams with good QB's that didn't make the playoffs, these days, hardly happens anymore. People want to rip Whaley and Brandon for not finding the franchise QB, if it were that easy all the other teams would already have done it too.

Hyman Roth's house in Florida: http://www.themoviedistrict.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/thegodfatherpartii07.jpg

Let's look at the playoff teams this season:

NFC:

Romo - undrafted

Wilson - 3rd round

Rodgers - late 1st round

Newton - #1 overall

Stafford - #1 overall

Palmer - #1 overall (Palmer was the QB for most of AZ's wins)

AFC:

Brady - 6th round

Roethlisberger - top half of 1st round

Flacco - mid-1st round

Dalton - early 2nd round

Luck - #1 overall

Manning - #1 overall

So: Among 12 QBs, there are five #1 overalls, 8 first rounders, one 2nd rounder, one 3rd rounder, one 6th rounder, and one undrafted.

His point was no one slips through the cracks. So out of 12 you have a 3rd, a 6th and an undrafted. That's 25%. It happens more than you think. BTW, Russell Wilson did slip through-every team passed on him, not once but twice.

If you take that a step further the teams that were just on the outside (Atlanta, SD, KC) they all have QBs that went in the top 5.

25% vs 75%

I'll take the 75% any day

Sure, you CAN find late round gems once a generation (Brady and Romo have been around forever and it hasn't happened since)

But look at what works most of the time and just do that. Why be cute?

All I know is that Russ Brandon wants Mike Shanahan, and if he gets his way we could see both Shanahan's in Buffalo. Then a trade for a QB somewhere along the way.

I'm actually hoping Brandon gets his way with this choice, along with giving Schwartz a big raise, and promotion to assistant HC.