Post Interview Rumors???

25% vs 75%

I'll take the 75% any day

Sure, you CAN find late round gems once a generation (Brady and Romo have been around forever and it hasn't happened since)

But look at what works most of the time and just do that. Why be cute?

Exactly!! To take it a step further how many QBs since 2000 have been selected after the top 100 picks and never amounted to a franchise guy? I will bet that you are hitting at about a 2% clip if you were to use that criteria. Should we hope to find that guy that is statistically 1 out of 50 or should we try to increase our % of finding the guy?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25% vs 75%

Sure, you CAN find late round gems once a generation (Brady and Romo have been around forever and it hasn't happened since)

Tom Brady was in the 2000 draft and Tony Romo in the 2003 draft. We are 12 drafts removed from Romo and 15 from Brady!! There hasn't been an anomaly in 12 years! RW MAY be considered an exception but again, he went 75th not 215th. If RW was 6'1" he would have went in the late 1st early 2nd. He was still projected a little earlier than he went. It isn't like he came out of nowhere.

I'll try one last time.

Lombardi1 used the Lombardi-Starr example. Kirby argued that doesn't happen now because scouting-technology won't allow them to "slip throught the cracks". My point is that it can and does. He cherry-picked number 75 pick because Russell Wilson was the 75th pick. It happened 3 years ago! It happened with Brady at the beginning of this generation, which I realize you think that this a long, long time ago. But it isn't. And, don't forget Tony Romo. Nobody is arguing that the odds are better below the first round!

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

I'll try one last time.

Lombardi1 used the Lombardi-Starr example. Kirby argued that doesn't happen now because scouting-technology won't allow them to "slip throught the cracks". My point is that it can and does. He cherry-picked number 75 pick because Russell Wilson was the 75th pick. It happened 3 years ago! It happened with Brady at the beginning of this generation, which I realize you think that this a long, long time ago. But it isn't. And, don't forget Tony Romo. Nobody is arguing that the odds are better below the first round!

So to my point, how may guys have gone after the 3rd round since 2000 that have been franchise QBs? Brady and Romo come to mind but is there another 1? Matt Schaub was a 3rd off the top of my head so he wouldn't count. Orton would fall in there I think and he was decent. How many guys were starting QBs on playoff teams since 2000 picked after the 3rd (TJ Yates and injury replacements don't count)?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

So is the argument that it happens once in a while?

OK, Sure. So what's the point exactly? Is this another "you don't need to draft a QB high to be successful! Look at Brady!" argument?

The point I am making (not to speak for anyone else) is that for every Brady and Romo there are many more 1st and 2nd round QBs that succeed.

The 3rd round really isn't all that "low" of a pick either. It's top 100.

I guess I'm confused as to what the debate is.

Edited by TheFunPolice

25% vs 75%

Well it's kind of hard to get the #1 pick in a year with a guaranteed lock at QB.

I thought the same thing. "That's it?!?"

The theater room in the second link I posted is "ok". Shoot, ajzepp has a better setup than that!

Good for them for not letting it get out of hand.

I believe they bulldozed it and then built their own.

OK, Sure. So what's the point exactly? Is this another "you don't need to draft a QB high to be successful! Look at Brady!" argument?

The point I am making (not to speak for anyone else) is that for every Brady and Romo there are many more 1st and 2nd round QBs that succeed.

I did a little research and quickly eyeballed it o it may not be completely accurate. There were only 2 guys (other than Brady and Romo) that have entered the league since 2000 drafted after the 3rd that have led the team to a playoff season. Those guys are Matt Cassel and Tavaris Jackson. Each of them lost 1 game

I did a little research and quickly eyeballed it o it may not be completely accurate. There were only 2 guys (other than Brady and Romo) that have entered the league since 2000 drafted after the 3rd that have led the team to a playoff season. Those guys are Matt Cassel and Tavaris Jackson. Each of them lost 1 game

Don't you love when guys argue about clear outliers? On top of it, Romo came from a small nowhere college in a different scouting age (where does Garopollo get picked a decade ago?), Brady was a part timer his entire college career and Wilson clearly would have been a no doubt 1st round pick if he were 6'2".

Kirby changed his original post that stated guys don't sneak through the cracks anymore, therefore Lomardi1 argument was invalid.

Don't you love when guys argue about clear outliers? On top of it, Romo came from a small nowhere college in a different scouting age (where does Garopollo get picked a decade ago?), Brady was a part timer his entire college career and Wilson clearly would have been a no doubt 1st round pick if he were 6'2".

Boy do you have a lot to learn.

I'm done boys.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

What I find interesting is Ted Black said yesterday Terry is at his home in Florida. Which is strange because all the reports are that Terry is running the interviews. Well we had an interview yesterday and a bunch lined up in Buffalo. So either Ted Black was lying or someone got bad information from their sources.

I guess another option is Black doesn't know what Terry is doing.

It could be he is using new technology and doing interviews remotely.

I have gotten jobs interviewing remotely just using skype.

Interestingly, both Sean Payton and Mike Shanahan went to Eastern Illinois! Payton played QB for them and was actually pretty good.