Buddy Nix and 2 scouts dismissed

HOUSE

Buddy's contract expired this month and he was slated to retire anyway.

I wish the two Daves good luck. Nice people and, contrary to the lynch mob mentality around here, a couple of very good scouts who've been at it a long time.

GO BILLS!!!

How dare you not take the opportunity to publicly mock people that most of us don't know?

For shame.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy's contract expired this month and he was slated to retire anyway.

I wish the two Daves good luck. Nice people and, contrary to the lynch mob mentality around here, a couple of very good scouts who've been at it a long time.

GO BILLS!!!

I understand, but I don't think that it's overly disrespectful to say that they are getting rid of the old guard. New owners are coming in and evaluating. Older guys who have titles like "Scout Emeritus" are not getting renewed. That's not really bashing anyone. I was joking about "Buddy Ebsen had to go," but that is true, and I like Buddy and thought he did some very good things.

Good. It's been known for years that the Bills scouting organization was full of dead wood that was out of touch and not putting in the needed hands-on to get things done. Get out the pruning sheers. Way overdue.

Doh! These were guys Buddy brought back into the organization specifically to address that issue. Funny how nobody's complaining over the talent brought in over the last few drafts.

I suspect this was the transition plan all along, now that Whaley's had a year of running his own board under his belt. We should be thanking these veteran scouts for the contributions they made, not lumping them into the post-Donohue cluster fuk that the scouting department became.

I understand, but I don't think that it's overly disrespectful to say that they are getting rid of the old guard. New owners are coming in and evaluating. Older guys who have titles like "Scout Emeritus" are not getting renewed. That's not really bashing anyone. I was joking about "Buddy Ebsen had to go," but that is true, and I like Buddy and thought he did some very good things.

I think k9 was primarily hitting that it's not getting rid of buddy if buddy planned to retire for awhile now. It wouldn't really be getting rid of the old guard if it's been a plan for 2 years kind of thing

Ultimately it's not even a firing just not a renewal.... Likely not shocking as I assumed this was a transition title not a "for life"

No idea on the smith duo

I love how people think that anyone that's not a decision maker is a coffee gopher. That he's even in the room is a tip of respect to the guy heading the non football side.

If I had to guess, nothing to see here. Old guys retiring.

Nothing to see here. Emeritus in academics means you've hung around after retirement to teach or have your azz kissed by younger faculty who laugh at you because you can barely use a computer. Seriously sounds ike these two were advisors and ceremonial more than anything. Buddy Nix was apparently retiring at the end of this anyway so it's basically telling the retirees collecting a check for doing very little that the gig is up. Nothing against any of them but I suspect they've had very little impact over the last few years.

The bigger question is, does TP/KP increase the scouting staff with some younger blood and increase scouting expenses?

A third person familiar with the decision told the AP that former general manager Buddy Nix and veteran scouts David G. Smith and David W. Smith will not return. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Bills have not announced the moves.

Nix held the role of special assistant since stepping down as GM in May 2013. The Smiths had a combined 58 years of NFL experience, and each held the title of scout emeritus.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-ryan-jackson-among-bills-coaching-candidates-172946605--nfl.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=fb

Nothing to see here. Emeritus in academics means you've hung around after retirement to teach or have your azz kissed by younger faculty who laugh at you because you can barely use a computer. Seriously sounds ike these two were advisors and ceremonial more than anything. Buddy Nix was apparently retiring at the end of this anyway so it's basically telling the retirees collecting a check for doing very little that the gig is up. Nothing against any of them but I suspect they've had very little impact over the last few years.

The bigger question is, does TP/KP increase the scouting staff with some younger blood and increase scouting expenses?

Well, I never saw anything posted anywhere that said Buddy was leaving the Bills so its news to me. Sure beats listing another HC option.

Edited by HOUSE

Nothing to see here.

I agree. And I'd be willing to bet El Pegual beefs our scouting staff up and significantly increases the budget for that department. I'd be shocked if he didn't.