Who do you want to be named next Bills HC?

YoloinOhio

New Bills Head Coach  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Of the current candidates, who do you hope is hired to be HC?

• Dan Quinn, DC Seattle
    • Pep Hamilton, OC Indianapolis
    • Darrell Bevell, OC Seattle
    • Frank Reich, OC San Diego
    • Adam Gase, OC Denver
    • Jim Schwartz, DC Buffalo
    • Mike Shanahan, former HC of Raiders, Broncos, Redskins
    • Rex Ryan, former HC of Jets
    • Josh McDaniels, OC Pats*
    • Hue Jackson, OC Bengals
    • Teryl Austin, DC Detroit
    • Pat Shurmur, OC Eagles
    • Kyle Shanahan, OC Cleveland
    • Greg Roman, OC San Francisco

I know everyone is afraid of losing Schwartz but his tenure in Detroit shows he is simply not ready to be a head coach. Love his attitude/push for players to play a hard hitting D but I just don't see him being the answer. I am in the Hue Jackson camp but will be satisfied with anyone who can actually get the Bills a decent OL and OC coaches.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not vote for a specific person, however I want someone with established NFL credentials on offense to get the job. I say this with the caveat that the Bills should also make sure the new HC is completely on board with Schwartz as DC and the Bills give Schwartz a raise and promotion to asst. HC.

So, I guess that means I'm on board with Gase, Bevell, Reich, Jackson, McDaniels (ugh), Hamilton, or even Shanny -- if they meet the second part of my criteria. Whoever has the best and most specific plan in place for how to improve this offense, while keeping the D and ST intact, gets my vote.

Edit: my vote changes to Schwartz if during his interview he has a terrific plan in place for who he would hire as OC.

Edited by eball

Todd Bowles Cardinals Defensive Coordinator should be on this list. And would be my choice.

Gary Kubiak. Why isn't he on the list?

The list only includes candidates who have been reported as interviewing with the Bills or the Bills have interest in. Keeping it to realistic options.

Added Teryl Austin, DC Detroit

I wish he was, he'd be my first choice.

Saying that, Bevell has adapted and used lots of Malzahns ideas. The read-option pass and the double screen to name a few.

I voted Bevell.

i have not seen Malzahn reported as an interest to any team, it's possible he has indicated he wants to stay at Auburn. Edited by YoloinOhio

What about two head coaches? Could that be done? Schwartz and Shanahan, obviously one handles offense, one defense in coordinator roles but they are both head coaches. Give Schwartz a deserved raise and Shanahan the same contract. We've seen dual directors in movies, why not this?

Schwartz as head coach as long as he continues to run the defense. Give Pepper Johnson the title of DC to keep him happy but Schwartz calls all the plays. Then bring in the top available OC and free agent QB of their choosing

I'm really shocked that the vote is 37-5 between Bevell and Quinn...LOL

Bevell is a west coast "cool" guy like Pete Carrol while Dan Quinn is an east coast "real" guy like Bill Cowher. Do yourselves a favor and watch a few press conferences by these guys and tell me which one is a good fit for the Bills head coaching job. IMO it's not even close, Quinn looks and sounds just like a young Bill Cowher. Hiring based on which side of the ball the guy is from is a recipe for failure. Only stupid teams would do this. The Steelers had Whisenhunt there to take over for Cowher but went with Thomlin because they knew he was the better head coach. He would continue to instill that toughness identity. I think that's the difference between Bevell and Quinn, one guy will give the Bills a west coast "cool" makeover while the other guy will give the Bills a no nonsense east coast "tough" identity.

Also, fans on the Seahawks message boards can't stand Bevell (go look them up and take the time to read them) and are hoping someone hires him. They can't stand that Russell Wilson has to constantly bail Bevell's play calls out all the time with his legs or that Beast Mode bails him out by running over 5 guys who would takle the normal human behind the line of scrimmage. Seahawks fans know that once Lynch leaves, Carroll will have to fire Bevell and get a much better OC in there.

We don't need the west coast "cool" guy, we're a defensive team and we need the east coast "tough" guy. I'm sure Dan has a very good plan in place for his OC and it will be 100 times better than Marrone's plan.

Edited by 1billsfan

What about two head coaches? Could that be done? Schwartz and Shanahan, obviously one handles offense, one defense in coordinator roles but they are both head coaches. Give Schwartz a deserved raise and Shanahan the same contract. We've seen dual directors in movies, why not this?

Somebody needs to have final say. Lots of teams use the "assistant HC" title, which is what I would suggest the Bills do with Schwartz (along with a pay raise) if they don't go with him for the job.

I have thought about this as well. Co-head coach. Split up offense and defense to keep continuity. We don't want to lose Schwartz and we dont want whoever the new head coach is to meddle on the defensive side so it makes logical sense. However, for whatever reason, I think the egos involved are too big and they wouldn't play nice together. It's too bad because I think it could work with the right partnership

I voted for Pep Hamilton solely for the fact that I'm hoping such a retro-sounding name will cause WGR550 to bring back that guy that did the great fake old radio calls - was the best bit this side of Hashieokie.

Beyond that I'm truly torn. Long term, I'd like to see them swing for the fences with a young OC and try to ultimately run a cutting edge offense that throws to set up the run and only punts as a last resort.

However, considering the dominance of the defense and Schwartz' tenuous situation, I would be on board with promoting him or bringing onboard a veteran coach who would retain him.

Top choice is someone with a strong background in creating a productive offense, but if, and only if, we can retain some defensive consistency. Whether it be Schwartz, or if we feel one of the assistants can step up and do the same job, I don't really care.

I have a sinking feeling though, that no matter who we pick, we'll continue to be competent on one side of the ball, only.

i have not seen Malzahn reported as an interest to any team, it's possible he has indicated he wants to stay at Auburn.

I haven't seen 1 HC from the Collegd ranks even have a confirmed interview. Odd because it seems like when Marrone was interviewing College HC's were all the rage.

Is anyone like me and has no real preference? Seems like a total crapshoot.

I just want to see it play out and am hoping they guess right.

Feel the same. Other than Schwartz, who failed in Detroit, has any of these guys won a game in the NFL, and if not, how do you and I possibly vote for one over another? Crapshoot is right and look who's throwing the dice.

Edit: my vote changes to Schwartz if during his interview he has a terrific plan in place for who he would hire as OC.

But who becomes DC if Schwartz becomes HC? I don't think that can be overlooked.

Sitting here talking with various scenarios with my father...really....just trying to come up with some out of the box situations and he positioned this idea...

Head Coach: Jim Schwartz

OC/Ass. HC: Frank Reich

DC: Donnie Henderson (Love this guy).

What say the collective?

Schwartz for head coach....let him choose the DC.

Hackett for OC....without Marrone's meddling.

Any offensive line coach other than Pat Morris.

Yea....I'll probably get flamed for this, but I thought that Marrone did more to stifle the offense than Hackett. What I want is a real offensive line coach and to give Hackett a chance to work without handcuffs on.

Edited by Rockinon

Schwartz for head coach.

Hackett for OC....without Marrone's meddling.

Any offensive line coach other than Pat Morris.

Yea....I'll probably get flamed for this, but I thought that Marrone did more to stifle the offense than Hackett. What I want is a real offensive line coach and to give Hackett a chance to work without handcuffs on.

Truth is you might be right about Hackett being handcuffed by Marrone. He's young, and there's no reason to think he cannot improve as a play caller in the NFL or otherwise. But, in all seriousness, how could you (if you were in charge at OBD) justify keeping Hackett to the fans after the past two seasons? Fair or not, Hackett's tied to Marrone (at least here in Buffalo). Retaining him in hopes of him improving without Marrone is rolling the dice for no reason at all.

There are dozens, if not hundreds of guys (and probably a few gals) who could become better/excellent NFL playcallers out there. Why stick with Hackett when you don't have to?

Truth is you might be right about Hackett being handcuffed by Marrone. He's young, and there's no reason to think he cannot improve as a play caller in the NFL or otherwise. But, in all seriousness, how could you (if you were in charge at OBD) justify keeping Hackett to the fans after the past two seasons? Fair or not, Hackett's tied to Marrone (at least here in Buffalo). Retaining him in hopes of him improving without Marrone is rolling the dice for no reason at all.

There are dozens, if not hundreds of guys (and probably a few gals) who could become better/excellent NFL playcallers out there. Why stick with Hackett when you don't have to?

I have a hunch Marrone doesn't find a job as a HC anywhere. Plus, I would be very disappointed in the Pegulas if they base a decision on what the fans might think. Frankly, I believe Marrone lost us some games with his overly conservative approach and unwillingness to put some faith in Hackett. My view of Hackett is that he is an up and coming coach in this league....a little hyper, but somebody who has a strong grasp of modern principals.

Another thing that I like about Hackett is he is all ready here, all ready knows the team and all ready has an established relationship. This team does not need an overhaul. It just needs to get better in a couple of key areas.

I have a hunch Marrone doesn't find a job as a HC anywhere. Plus, I would be very disappointed in the Pegulas if they base a decision on what the fans might think. Frankly, I believe Marrone lost us some games with his overly conservative approach and unwillingness to put some faith in Hackett. My view of Hackett is that he is an up and coming coach in this league....a little hyper, but somebody who has a strong grasp of modern principals.

Another thing that I like about Hackett is he is all ready here, all ready knows the team and all ready has an established relationship. This team does not need an overhaul. It just needs to get better in a couple of key areas.

I hear you, but wouldn't you agree one of those key areas is offensive philosophy? Considering Hackett has been under Marrone for multiple years now, I'm not certain Hackett has his own offensive philosophy, or one that's different enough from Marrone's 1932 jumbo sets.

I hear you, but wouldn't you agree one of those key areas is offensive philosophy? Considering Hackett has been under Marrone for multiple years now, I'm not certain Hackett has his own offensive philosophy, or one that's different enough from Marrone's 1932 jumbo sets.

So what you are saying is because Hackett has been with Marrone, his philosophies are the same? Sorry, but just speaking from my own personal experiences, I have had many, many mentors. That does not mean that I agree with everything I have learned from each. Hackett is not a clone of Marrone just because he worked under him. This is what annoys me about the way many NFL clubs who seem to make the same analogies. People always seem to be surprised when someone fails in one place only to blow away the competition in another. I just think there is more going on than just one coach's performance or one player's performance for that matter.

There are a lot of different ways to look at things. And I am not at all convinced that Hackett is the right decision. I certainly don't have any inside information on the subject, only what I have seen of the concepts for play calling from Hackett. I've actually seen some good things....also some things things I don't approve of. I would just like to see discussion on something that perhaps no one has thought of. People have a tendency around here to see what happens on the field and immediately say "The QB stinks", "The OL stinks" or "The coach stinks". Many say things like this without really having an informed idea of what's really happening. Look at how ridiculous the latest Sully article sounds.

Anyway, the Pegulas will have to try and figure some of this stuff out. My guess is they will make some mistakes along the way. I just hope they are clever enough to read between the lines and make fewer mistakes than most.

I like Hackett though. Can't say I know he is the best choice. But I wouldn't rule him out before taking a good look.

So what you are saying is because Hackett has been with Marrone, his philosophies are the same? Sorry, but just speaking from my own personal experiences, I have had many, many mentors. That does not mean that I agree with everything I have learned from each. Hackett is not a clone of Marrone just because he worked under him. This is what annoys me about the way many NFL clubs who seem to make the same analogies. People always seem to be surprised when someone fails in one place only to blow away the competition in another. I just think there is more going on than just one coach's performance or one player's performance for that matter.

There are a lot of different ways to look at things. And I am not at all convinced that Hackett is the right decision. I certainly don't have any inside information on the subject, only what I have seen of the concepts for play calling from Hackett. I've actually seen some good things....also some things things I don't approve of. I would just like to see discussion on something that perhaps no one has thought of. People have a tendency around here to see what happens on the field and immediately say "The QB stinks", "The OL stinks" or "The coach stinks". Many say things like this without really having an informed idea of what's really happening. Look at how ridiculous the latest Sully article sounds.

Anyway, the Pegulas will have to try and figure some of this stuff out. My guess is they will make some mistakes along the way. I just hope they are clever enough to read between the lines and make fewer mistakes than most.

I like Hackett though. Can't say I know he is the best choice. But I wouldn't rule him out before taking a good look.

Hackett's been under Marrone for over 4 seasons -- so no one knows if he's a clone of Marrone or not. Which is my point. Why roll the dice that he might be different (despite four years of evidence showing otherwise) when you can start fresh with an accomplished OC who has run his own system before?

That's the disconnect for me. I'm with you that Hackett might be great on his own, but it's a risk. And a risk that the Bills really can't afford to make considering how putrid the team's offense has been under Marrone and Hackett.

For me it's more important to see whom the coordinators would be, I like that Frank has essentially been a coach since his playing days and he obviously knows the QB position.

If he keeps Schwartz and the rest of the defensive staff , and had a good staff for the OC I could see him getting the job, and I'd be okay with it.

Hackett's been under Marrone for over 4 seasons -- so no one knows if he's a clone of Marrone or not. Which is my point. Why roll the dice that he might be different (despite four years of evidence showing otherwise) when you can start fresh with an accomplished OC who has run his own system before?

That's the disconnect for me. I'm with you that Hackett might be great on his own, but it's a risk. And a risk that the Bills really can't afford to make considering how putrid the team's offense has been under Marrone and Hackett.

Why roll the dice on a complete offensive make over? It's not really about what I think, though. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents. Not that it's worth anything. I just think it's funny how people get all worked up over a shiny new toy. New coach is more fun to talk about. I guess I'm just trying to look at it from a different perspective.

Why roll the dice on a complete offensive make over? It's not really about what I think, though. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents. Not that it's worth anything. I just think it's funny how people get all worked up over a shiny new toy. New coach is more fun to talk about. I guess I'm just trying to look at it from a different perspective.

I hear you, and I'm not trying to argue (just have a conversation). I respect your opinion, just disagree (though not that Hackett could be good/competent without Marrone).

I'd be happy if this was the result. Tell your Dad, "Nice job!"

Sitting here talking with various scenarios with my father...really....just trying to come up with some out of the box situations and he positioned this idea...

Head Coach: Jim Schwartz

OC/Ass. HC: Frank Reich

DC: Donnie Henderson (Love this guy).

What say the collective?

I don't think we really know about Hackett. I am sure he won't be back, and I don't want him back, but he did design some pretty clever plays. I think that it was 90% Marrone's offense, philosophy, game plan, player choice, formation strategy, etc. And Hackett was carrying it out.

But we don't know either way whether Hackett was arguing for other stuff and was shot down by Marrone. if I had to guess, I would say that Hackett is a lot more similar to dissimilar to Marrone, otherwise St Doug would not have brought him with him after a couple years with him at SU. It's possible, however, that Hackett, being so young and happy to be in that position, was very good at following orders, so he was a good soldier all that time and Marrone knew he could bully him.

I don't think we really know about Hackett. I am sure he won't be back, and I don't want him back, but he did design some pretty clever plays. I think that it was 90% Marrone's offense, philosophy, game plan, player choice, formation strategy, etc. And Hackett was carrying it out.

But we don't know either way whether Hackett was arguing for other stuff and was shot down by Marrone. if I had to guess, I would say that Hackett is a lot more similar to dissimilar to Marrone, otherwise St Doug would not have brought him with him after a couple years with him at SU. It's possible, however, that Hackett, being so young and happy to be in that position, was very good at following orders, so he was a good soldier all that time and Marrone knew he could bully him.

Generally speaking HC's, offensive minded ones, hire OC's who mirror their philosophies. Reid hired Doug Pederson to be his OC after he was with Reid in Philly as the QB coach. Mike McCarthy keeps promoting within. Clements was his QB coach for years. Ben McAdoo was his TE coach before becoming OC.

It just makes their job easier if everyone is on the same page.