Head Coach candidate: Hue Jackson

YoloinOhio

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legitimate or Rooney box checker? Not saying he's not qualified, but it's sad that some of these guys just help teams satisfy a bogus requirement.

Nah, if Jackson gets interviewed he is a legit candidate. Rooney Rule is usually used for guys who are up and coming who need to get to know execs, and gain expereince going through the actual interview process, which has been said to be highly involved. This applies to some of the white interviewees we see as well, I believe, although in that case no one questions why they get interviewed. Sometimes a guy like Tomlin wows and actually get the gig. Hue Jackson is beyond that point. He's already been a successful assistant, coordinator, and a fairly successful HC.

Rooney Rule gets a bad rap. I don't think it's ever a bad thing to be able to get in front of people and display one's knowledge and capabilities. Not getting a gig now doesn't mean it won't happen later. But people have to get to know these coaches and what they bring to the table. Musicians have to practice. Athletes have to practice. Accountants have to practice their craft. Coaches are no different. Interviewing for an NFL coaching gig is an involved process. Getting practice doing it is positive.

Edited by purple haze

Not a surprised that Gase and Bevell are favorites on this board over Jackson.

Did Gase work wonders with Manning? Really? Manning might be the last player in NFL history that needs to be "coached up"

Bevell? Flavor of the month. Farve was kind of good without him don't you think? Also, he didn't discover Russell Wilson, thank you. Wilson

carried himself and played like a 10 year vet when he walked into training camp his first year. Look it up.

Jackson is tough, has leadership, is innovative, and maximizes his players performance everywhere he goes. I much prefer him.

Jackson's candidacy reminds me a bit of Arians before he was hired by the Cardinals.

He appears to be able to hold players accountable and can command a team, something some of these other candidates...well... I'd be shocked if they were able to do.

Just my 2 cents.

"I'm tired of people saying that I'm power hungry, that I'm a blowhard, that I'm saying all the wrong things. I never said I wanted to be the general manager. I said I wanted input. What coach wouldn't want some input in the direction of the organization?

Sincerly,

Doug Marrone :lol:

I thought Jackson looked like a promising up-and-coming coach. I do worry a bit about what seemed like a power play after Al Davis died. But if the Pegulas can clearly define a chain of command, I think he showed that he can coach.

I thought Jackson looked like a promising up-and-coming coach. I do worry a bit about what seemed like a power play after Al Davis died. But if the Pegulas can clearly define a chain of command, I think he showed that he can coach.

My take on the Oakland incident is that Hue basically asked for what needed to happen in Oakland, and that is leave football decisions to the football people. Al was more qualified than most, but he bluntly said what others who have failed in Oakland only insinuated.

Maybe he is power hungry. I agree with you that from the outside in he seems like he would play nice with a structure put in place.

Not a surprised that Gase and Bevell are favorites on this board over Jackson.

Did Gase work wonders with Manning? Really? Manning might be the last player in NFL history that needs to be "coached up"

Bevell? Flavor of the month. Farve was kind of good without him don't you think? Also, he didn't discover Russell Wilson, thank you. Wilson

carried himself and played like a 10 year vet when he walked into training camp his first year. Look it up.

Jackson is tough, has leadership, is innovative, and maximizes his players performance everywhere he goes. I much prefer him.

Jackson's candidacy reminds me a bit of Arians before he was hired by the Cardinals.

He appears to be able to hold players accountable and can command a team, something some of these other candidates...well... I'd be shocked if they were able to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Good post! And likening him to Arians is promising. He was my favorite last time we were looking for a coach and he's done well with the Cards.

Edited by Captain_Quint