Greg Roman for OC

BillsFanMike

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in another thread in response to a poster who said Roman has done very little in developing QBs. I thought it appropriate to this thread:

Roman's rushing offenses finished in the top 8 (3 in the top 5) each of his four years in SF. We need to improve the O line and running game first. Then I would like to see what Roman can do with EJ and whoever else is on the roster this spring. I look at what he did with Alex Smith, who, IMO, is the kind of QB that fits a team with a strong defense and strong running game:

2009 (Before Roman) 11 games, completed 60 % of his passes, with 18 TDs, 12 INTs, and 81.5 Rating

2010 (Before Roman) 11 games, completed 59 % of his passes, with 14 TDs, 10 INTs, and 82.1 Rating

2011 (With Roman) 18 games, completed 61% of his passes, with 22 TDs, 5 INTs, and 92.1 Rating

2012 (With Roman) 9 games, completed 70% of his passes, with 13 TDs, 5 INTs, and 100.4 Rating

Then Harbaugh decided to stay with Kaepernick

2012 62% of his passes, with 14 TDs, 5 INTs, and a 99 Rating

2013 58% of his passes, with 24 TDs, 11 INTs, and a 88.7 Rating

2014 61% of his passes, with 19 TDs, 10 INTs, and a 86.4 Rating

I think Roman did all right with developing young QBs. If any QBs for Buffalo, in a four year period, completed over 60% of their passes for 92 TDs, 36 INTs, and over a 90 Rating, we would be ecstatic...

I was one of the posters negatively commenting on Roman's ability to develop a passing attack. And I maintain some of my reservations. But these stats - especially the improvement in Alex Smith when he started working with Roman - make me hope I'm wrong. Thanks.