Greg Roman for OC

BillsFanMike

@AdamSchefter: Bills http://t.co/rAD5Ul298j@KevinMassare: Greg Roman has been top 4 in rushing the last 4 years. He has more Offensive experience/success than Trestman.

How in heaven's name does Greg Roman have "more offensive experince/success than Trestman"?

Trestman was Bud Carson's OC in Cleveland with several playoff appearances/wins. Those teams had good offenses. He went to the playoffs with the Cardinals with Jake Plummer at. QB. He was OC of the 2002 Raiders that went to the SB with Rich Gannon at QB. Meanwhile, in 2008, Greg was OC for Holy Spirit High School. He's been an NFL OC for 3 years.

San Fran's offense good those 3 years, but still, "more offensive experince/success than Trestman"?

Edited by reddogblitz

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How in heaven's name does Greg Roman have "more offensive experince/success than Trestman"?

Trestman was Bud Carson's OC in Cleveland with several playoff appearances/wins. Those teams had good offenses. He went to the playoffs with the Cardinals with Jake Plummer at. QB. He was OC of the 2002 Raiders that went to the SB with Rich Gannon at QB. Meanwhile, in 2008, Greg was OC for Holy Spirit High School. He's been an NFL OC for 3 years.

San Fran's offense good those 3 years, but still, "more offensive experince/success than Trestman"?

maybe he meant recently? I don't know... Weird. This is #roadsodas guy. Edited by YoloinOhio

Go spend 15 minutes reading threads on the Bills.com board and then reconsider how smart fans are.

Granted, but you would think fans can sense when coaching is holding a team back right? As Bills fans, we should understand this given some of our past coordinators right?

49er fans are seriously ecstatic at the thought of Roman leaving and tsking some of his assistants with him. That concerns me.

Someone help me feel better about this.

Every teams feel that way when their team misses the playoffs. Garbage for one is a treasure for others.

That this year was an organizational train wreck and he's had a VERY good career before the harbaugh vs the front office meltdown which can effect everyone?

I agree...

It was such a weird situation...And obviously it effected Kaepernick more than anyone...

Even still they ran the ball well (4th in the NFL) and did not turn it over much (+7 in TO differential and the 10 INT's were tied for 5th lowest in the league)...

Roman/Harbaugh had a simple theory...Run the ball...Don't turn it over...8 of the top 10 teams with fewest giveaways made the Playoffs...It's not a bad approach to winning...You can get away with more giveaways if you have a great QB like Luck...The Bills have no Luck...Literally or figuratively...So again...It's not a bad approach... B-)

fyi - crawler on nfl network has roman interviewing for brown's oc job

Everyone is reportedly interviewing for the Browns OC job. Maybe Marrone ends up there...? It really would not be a stretch. I really think how the Kyle Shanahan thing went down has made that job toxic. Add the Johnny Foolball (yes Foolball) factor and Iam not sure how anyone with other options would go there.

49er fans are seriously ecstatic at the thought of Roman leaving and tsking some of his assistants with him. That concerns me.

Someone help me feel better about this.

The majority of the problems with that 49er offense stem from the very same problem that the Redskins, Panthers are having with RG3 & Newton. That NFL defenses have caught up to the read option QB play in the NFL. Kaepernick needs to find his way in becoming a top pocket passer to succeed. This is not Greg Roman's fault with Kaep, nor is it Shanahan's or Gruden's fault with RG3.

Then the entire team went into the toilet this season over the problems between the HC & GM, and at some point they became so hostile between the two of them that they stopped talking and communicated only between emails.

Greg Roman has always run the ball more then he passed it, and has had a top 10 running offense his entire time with the 49ers. That includes his year with Alex Smith at QB. Think back to 2010, and the entire world had given up on first overall QB Alex Smith as a starting QB. That was Greg Roman as the Niners OC.

I think this is a big upgrade over Nathaniel Hackett.

Per Schefter...

But first per Leroi

WooHoo !!! stoked about this hire, loved his philosophy in SF and can't wait for it here.

Time for a real FB and a rugged runner, with Fred as a change of pace back.

might have real shot Iupati

As I wrote in another thread, they are ready to hang this guy from a tree in San Francisco, and he has been heavily criticized for being a collegiate coach out of his depth at the NFL level.

Which reminds me a lot of another offensive coordinator heavily discussed at this forum.

Let's see who they actually hire before we all go crazy talking about Roman though.

SF's problem was all conflict between FO and Harbaugh, which showed on the field.

The majority of the problems with that 49er offense stem from the very same problem that the Redskins, Panthers are having with RG3 & Newton. That NFL defenses have caught up to the read option QB play in the NFL. Kaepernick needs to find his way in becoming a top pocket passer to succeed. This is not Greg Roman's fault with Kaep, nor is it Shanahan's or Gruden's fault with RG3.

Then the entire team went into the toilet this season over the problems between the HC & GM, and at some point they became so hostile between the two of them that they stopped talking and communicated only between emails.

Greg Roman has always run the ball more then he passed it, and has had a top 10 running offense his entire time with the 49ers. That includes his year with Alex Smith at QB. Think back to 2010, and the entire world had given up on first overall QB Alex Smith as a starting QB. That was Greg Roman as the Niners OC.

I think this is a big upgrade over Nathaniel Hackett.

I understand where you're coming from and you're making plenty of sense right now. I guess I'm going to take the wait and see approach and hope for the best. I do plan on watching 4 years worth of 49ers offense to see how it has evolved and what they like to do and what they are good at doing.

I'm excited and anxious at the same time. Hopefully this proves to be the start of something great for this franchise.

I'm just glad to have Rex Ryan looking at legitimate NFL coaches for this position. I think we are close on offense. A good coach with a power running game and nasty OL could translate this into a great team. I would go for Iupati and Incognito. Plow right thru the East.

I don't know why anyone keeps beating the Incognito drum.

Stupid and undisciplined, plus out of the league for a year? Sign me up. But oh, right, he's "nasty."