Greg Roman for OC

BillsFanMike

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a knock on Kaepernick because damn, I'd love him to be our QB, but, this season looked like he thought he was more a celebrity than a NFL QB. Something tells me he knows this, and he'll come back strong next season. I just wouldn't place too much blame on Roman for this.

I really don't completely understand this line of reasoning.

Year 1 Alex Smith greatly improves.

Year 2 Colin Kaepernick greatly improves.

Year 3 Colin Kaepernick greatly improves.

Year 4 Colin Kaepernick greatly regresses.

And the two years previous in college Andrew Luck greatly improves (he was going to be great anyway but he took the college game by storm)

All this together is a bad sign?

How do you know that wasn't all Jim Harbaugh?

Anyway, I wonder how well Rex knows Roman's game. Look at the OC's Rex picked in his fairly short tenure on the Jets: Brian Schottenheimer, Marty Morningweg, Sporano.

Of Sporano, he said: "When we sat down with Tony, I knew that he was the right person at the right time for our offense," head coach Rex Ryan said in a statement. "I've admired his work as a competitor in the division for the past three seasons. His teams were always physical, tough and hard-nosed."

A year later, he hired Morningweg, saying: "When we search for a new offensive coordinator," he said, "I want somebody with that same type of belief that I have and that same passion and energy and that same attack mentality and unpredictability."

Edited by Mr. WEO

How do you know that wasn't all Jim Harbaugh?

Anyway, I wonder how well Rex knows Roman's game. Look at the OC's Rex picked in his fairly short tenure on the Jets: Brian Schottenheimer, Marty Morningweg, Sporano.

Of Sporano, he said: "When we sat down with Tony, I knew that he was the right person at the right time for our offense," head coach Rex Ryan said in a statement. "I've admired his work as a competitor in the division for the past three seasons. His teams were always physical, tough and hard-nosed."

I think a lot of it, maybe more than half was Harbaugh. Although I'm sure Roman learned as much as those QBs did from Harbaugh. A few different articles I read, however, said that Roman is really a strong, smart, confident, inventive guy.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/source-roman-agrees-become-bills-offensive-coordinator?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Roman is scheduled to fly on Monday from Florida to Buffalo, New York, where he will sign the contract, the source said. The Bills on Monday announced Ryan as the team’s head coach....

Ryan and Roman had extensive talks since the end of the season about joining forces if Ryan landed another head-coaching job

Florida seems to be the hopping place this past weekend

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

From my perception of San Francisco over the last couple years it seems like the major receiving weapons (Crabtree, Boldin, Davis) underachieved and that Kaepernick drastically regressed when the offensive scheme had him stay in the pocket more often. Im not sold on this hire. I know he always has a strong run game but many aspects of the 49ers offense never seemed to click when CK wasnt running all over the field.

Anthony Dixon @Boobie24Dixon · 17m 17 minutes ago

Got us a new coach I see,Cool beans,cant wait to get to work with him,Really hoping they bring in Roman loved playin in his offense #GoBills

Roman is coming 1f603.png1f603.png1f603.png1f603.png1f603.png Yes time to pull my big boy pads back out #GroundNPound I love it #BillsMafia

which basically means our offense sucked, which we knew but it's telling when the players say so.

From my perception of San Francisco over the last couple years it seems like the major receiving weapons (Crabtree, Boldin, Davis) underachieved and that Kaepernick drastically regressed when the offensive scheme had him stay in the pocket more often. Im not sold on this hire. I know he always has a strong run game but many aspects of the 49ers offense never seemed to click when CK wasnt running all over the field.

Maybe Harbaugh was pushing Kap to do more when he wasn't ready or able. HC have a lot of influence on how the gameplan is called and designed, it's just not the OC and DC doing their thing while the HC sits idly by.

Not sure where Roman picked up this rep as strictly a ground and pound conservative coach. Yes, he believes a strong running game sets up a dynamic play-action passing game and that's a good thing, but he has never been shy about taking his shots down field, either. Kaepernick doesn't amass a career 7.5 ypa otherwise. Also, it was his work with Luck in Stanford that allowed scouts to see Luck make every throw in the book from a myriad of formations, both from under center and from the shotgun.

And to those that think Roman somehow neutered Kaepernick by forcing him to stay in the pocket, I say he would have been derelict in his duties if he didn't. ALL quarterbacks have to learn to operate from the pocket. Period. If they don't, they will fail in this league. It's as simple as that.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe Harbaugh was pushing Kap to do more when he wasn't ready or able. HC have a lot of influence on how the gameplan is called and designed, it's just not the OC and DC doing their thing while the HC sits idly by.

Totally agree and Im hopeful it was Harbaugh now that we have Roman. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt. If you check the 49er forums they are crushing him. Theyre response to losing him is what ours would be if someone else signed Hackett (which the Rams might do). Im hopeful but nothing screams "guaranteed success" to me about what hes done.

http://twitter.com/timkawakami/status/554742464506904577

Greg Roman goes to Buffalo, ending his term as the most egregiously scapegoated 49ers assistant in years:

... bit.ly/1C9CTEO

Greg Roman goes to Buffalo, ending his term as the most egregiously scapegoated 49ers assistant in years

Hmmmmm. "Even right tackle Anthony Davis bizarrely assumed all that and was angry at Roman for screwing up the 49ers’ offensive focus."

So do we believe a blogger, or someone actually on the offense? :)

Hmmmmm. "Even right tackle Anthony Davis bizarrely assumed all that and was angry at Roman for screwing up the 49ers’ offensive focus."

So do we believe a blogger, or someone actually on the offense? :)

Well, for starters he's not a blogger. Not literally and certainly not in the figurative sense you meant to imply.

Well, for starters he's not a blogger. Not literally and certainly not in the figurative sense you meant to imply.

That article was from a blog but fair enough.

"Somehow, it got all twisted up in the minds of 49ers fans–and, apparently, 49ers executives and even a player or two–that Greg Roman was forcing the 49ers offense to do things it was not exactly suited to do."

So 49ers execs and a player or two are wrong and a sports reporter is right? Could be I suppose, I don't know this guy . but ...

That article was from a blog but fair enough.

"Somehow, it got all twisted up in the minds of 49ers fans–and, apparently, 49ers executives and even a player or two–that Greg Roman was forcing the 49ers offense to do things it was not exactly suited to do."

So 49ers execs and a player or two are wrong and a sports reporter is right? Could be I suppose, I don't know this guy . but ...

What do you know about SF's 35 year old Russ Brandon?

Newsflash -- Fans of (insert team name) that didn't perform as well as expected are upset with (insert coach's name) who ran the (offense/defense/ST) poorly and should never be given another job in the NFL. Any team that hires (insert coach's name) is a sucker.