Could Matt Ryan be available?

switz1610

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the little I have seen of Matt Ryan I think he is a tad bit overrated. The reason I say this is because he plays in a dome stadium 9+ games a year has 2 pro bowl receivers and and played in one of the worst defensive divisions(Bucs,Carolina,Saints) and still lead a middle of pack of offense that scored on 40 more points for the season than the Bills(2.5Pts per game avg).

The reason for this in the games I see him play in is he has a tendency to not look off receivers. I have to go back and look at the Atlanta games to proof my point.

I will admit he would be better than what we have at this present time

With Mike Smith getting fired and a new HC in Atlanta, could Matt Ryan be available for trade? Usually new HCs like to bring in their own guy so this could be a situation to monitor.

I doubt it but I would trade for him no problem, but like most QBs he will need a strong line and running game here.

From the little I have seen of Matt Ryan I think he is a tad bit overrated. The reason I say this is because he plays in a dome stadium 9+ games a year has 2 pro bowl receivers and and played in one of the worst defensive divisions(Bucs,Carolina,Saints) and still lead a middle of pack of offense that scored on 40 more points for the season than the Bills(2.5Pts per game avg).

The reason for this in the games I see him play in is he has a tendency to not look off receivers. I have to go back and look at the Atlanta games to proof my point.

I will admit he would be better than what we have at this present time

I tend to agree with this sentiment. I am actually unsure if he would be better than, say, Cutler. Personality-wise, I'm sure he's a better fit that Cutler but the cost-benefit analysis may not favor him.

Both (Cutler and Ryan) are better than we have now.

Matt Ryan has an OL on par with ours in Buffalo. I'm not sure he'd be much of an upgrade until we upgrade the OL. Giving away our draft will not allow us to do that, especially factoring in we have little room to bring in FA's.

I disagree completely. Ryan is a top 10 QB in this league. With Ryan under center this team is a legit threat.

That would be slim and none. If we're going to make these kind of posts, shoot for the stars, how about Big Ben, he doesn't have his long term contract completed yet, or maybe Eli Manning because he didn't perform well these past two years, or here it is, maybe Cam Newton, because Carolina fans are not happy with him.

These what if's are silly. Now, what is possible is Cutler, or Foles, or Sanchez. I'm not advocating at all for Sanchez or Cutler, but if Foles really is not in good graces with Chip Kelly, and he picks Sanchez over him, then he is an unrestricted free agent, and wants to start in the league. He had an ok year until he was hurt, and last year his stats were amazing with almost no INT's. He did play behind a very healthy and before the Cowboys this year considered the best O Line in the NFL. He is young, pretty accurate, has a track record of making sound decisions, and I like what's between the ears.

The last person is maybe Mike Glennon in Tampa. Lovie doesn't want him, he had the best rookie season of the group last year which isn't saying much, and the worst kept secret down here is we're (Tampa) going after Mariota in the draft for a franchise QB. Tampa would have an excellent back up in McKown, so Glennon could be available. I wouldn't want ot give much for him in a trade though.

I disagree completely. Ryan is a top 10 QB in this league. With Ryan under center this team is a legit threat.

I never said anything that he wasn't. i just don't think he'd succeed behind our OL. I think he'd not be capable of being a top 10 qb in our lineup with this current ol.

Keep in mind if you trade for Matt Ryan you are going to kill your draft both this year and next (You are going to trade at the very least this years 2nd and next years 1st). You are also going to severly damage your free agency for this year and beyond. Ryan's cap hit for 2015 is over 20 million. Even if you restructure Mario to free up an additional 4 million that doesn't leave you much money to get other players. That means letting Hughes go and not being able to sign anyone else for more than 2 or 3 million.

It might be worth it to bring in a player like that but with Ryan you limit the ability to upgrade the roster elsewhere, and while I think the team would be close with a franchise QB its not like QB is the only issue.

With Mike Smith getting fired and a new HC in Atlanta, could Matt Ryan be available for trade? Usually new HCs like to bring in their own guy so this could be a situation to monitor.

Matt Ryan was an Arthur Blank choice. He's not going anywhere........... Well, at least until they realize that it wasn't all Smith's fault.

Keep in mind if you trade for Matt Ryan you are going to kill your draft both this year and next (You are going to trade at the very least this years 2nd and next years 1st). You are also going to severly damage your free agency for this year and beyond. Ryan's cap hit for 2015 is over 20 million. Even if you restructure Mario to free up an additional 4 million that doesn't leave you much money to get other players. That means letting Hughes go and not being able to sign anyone else for more than 2 or 3 million.

It might be worth it to bring in a player like that but with Ryan you limit the ability to upgrade the roster elsewhere, and while I think the team would be close with a franchise QB its not like QB is the only issue.

I'd still do it and let Hughes go. Matt Ryan makes us an instant contender. but it is a pipe dream

Matt Ryan has an OL on par with ours in Buffalo. I'm not sure he'd be much of an upgrade until we upgrade the OL. Giving away our draft will not allow us to do that, especially factoring in we have little room to bring in FA's.

Whilst they are similar in total breakdowns, their line slowly but surely has gotten better and better as each week passed. Ours? Ups and downs. There was a run of games (4 I think) prior to Carolina yesterday where he had zero sacks taken and only 8 QB hits... No way that makes them on par with ours. Throughout the first half? Absolutely.

Anyway, regarding Matt Ryan. It would take something of epic proportions to get him - at least two first rounders (one that would have to be top 5) a decent mid-rounder and two cornerstone players that they can work the team around until their new QB takes the reigns. Even then, it's a long shot. Ryan, some love him, some hate him but he is a gamer and a stud at QB. Put him on a team with a couple of weapons and a fairly stout defense and you're talking deep playoff runs - something Atlanta knows all too well.

Also, in any said situation, I'm sure they'd want to have at least a top 10 draft pick of their own to begin with.

Oh wait...

:ph34r:

I came up with Matt Ryan's name a couple of weeks ago in the "Could the Bills trade their entire draft for a QB?" thread.

Heres my post: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/173875-ok-can-we-trade-every-pick-we-have-left/#entry3364445

It's a ridiculous long shot that will never ever happen, but it can be twisted to make sense if the Falcons are in re-build mode, want to dump cap space, and acquire picks.

Theyd never do it, but it's our best option.

When you have a qb you are reloading, not scrapping everything for a full rebuild

Can you give me even three examples of that when the team had a good QB, even with a bad QB?? Think you have things mixed up a bit. HC and GM's bring in their own guys as in their own coaches, but that's about as far as I've ever seen it go.

Coaches of winning teams rarely get fired, it's usually losing teams which often is the result of bad QB play, so often when a team goes to a new HC, they will get rid of the old QB because he sucked and they may even bring in a QB from the coaches former team. Seen that happen, but never a new coach get rid of an above average QB.