Could Matt Ryan be available?

switz1610

vaughn mcclure@vxmcclure23 6m6 minutes ago

Asked if Matt Ryan played like an elite QB in 2014, there was silence for a moment with Blank, Dimitroff, and McKay.

I know a few people in Georgia and the ATL area whom are Falcons fans since the Henning and Campbell years, and the word is Thomas Dimitroff is having his head called for by fans left, right and center. There was talk about him possible being given the boot last season after their epic collapse from the 10-6 (2011) and 13-3 (2012) records and an NFC Championship to 4-12... The only reason he kept around (or so I am led to believe from the people who know their team) is purely down to the respected ties and history with Billy-B and Scott Pioli. I really don't see how he hasn't been shown the door with Smith.

Can you give me even three examples of that when the team had a good QB, even with a bad QB?? Think you have things mixed up a bit. HC and GM's bring in their own guys as in their own coaches, but that's about as far as I've ever seen it go.

Coaches of winning teams rarely get fired, it's usually losing teams which often is the result of bad QB play, so often when a team goes to a new HC, they will get rid of the old QB because he sucked and they may even bring in a QB from the coaches former team. Seen that happen, but never a new coach get rid of an above average QB.

Atlanta's problem is anything but their QB play... It's a whole team effort. Their defense is totally suspect, game management was awry and their run game was never there minus maybe one or two weeks this season.

If the new HC of ATL decides to part ways with Matt Ryan without a sure-fire successor then he is a complete moron who deserves to be out of a job within two years. Simple.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo: Marrone/EJ > cut Fitz

SF: Harbaugh/Kaep > traded Smith

Jets: Rex Ryan/Sanchez > cut Favre

Colts: Pagano/Luck > cut Manning

The only one out of those four where there is a problem is San Fran'. Alex Smith was successful and winning them games in both the regular season and playoffs... New QB who by all accounts was way off adjusting to the NFL yet thrown into it head first for nothing more than his athleticism. 9ers made a mistake getting rid of him so soon.

1. Fitz was way too much of a cap hit for a nice-guy-journeyman-QB.
  2. Favre was never around when Rex was there. He wanted out after the end of the season, to which the Jets granted his request.
  3. Manning was coming off major neck surgery, on a HUGE contract and you have the heir-apparent to your franchise. Wise move. Move on. Better contract = more ability to rebuild

Seriously, get a grip of yourself.

I came up with Matt Ryan's name a couple of weeks ago in the "Could the Bills trade their entire draft for a QB?" thread.

Heres my post: http://forums.twobil...t/#entry3364445

It's a ridiculous long shot that will never ever happen, but it can be twisted to make sense if the Falcons are in re-build mode, want to dump cap space, and acquire picks.

Theyd never do it, but it's our best option.

So, our best options in not possible. :doh:

The only one out of those four where there is a problem is San Fran'. Alex Smith was successful and winning them games in both the regular season and playoffs... New QB who by all accounts was way off adjusting to the NFL yet thrown into it head first for nothing more than his athleticism. 9ers made a mistake getting rid of him so soon.

1. Fitz was way too much of a cap hit for a nice-guy-journeyman-QB.

2. Favre was never around when Rex was there. He wanted out after the end of the season, to which the Jets granted his request.

3. Manning was coming off major neck surgery, on a HUGE contract and you have the heir-apparent to your franchise. Wise move. Move on. Better contract = more ability to rebuild

Seriously, get a grip of yourself.

You asked for 3 examples, I gave 4.

I asked for no examples. Someone else did. But still, Fitz wasn't a good QB. Favre wanted to retire. And Peyton was purely down to injuries/surgeries for him not being retained. Simple.

The only situation where the coach got rid of a good QB to play his handpicked QB was the 9ers and Harbaugh...

Neither Harbaugh or Rex meet your concept of the coach getting rid of the QB to bring in "his guy" as the coach was there at least a year prior to them cutting the QB, Ryan had like what three years under his belt with Sanchez before parting ways. And in the Bill's case the team was getting rid of him because they felt he wasn't very good and was overpaid. Kind of supports my comment that the reason a new coach gets rid of the old QB was because he wasn't very good, and that was why the coach got fired to begin with, the team was bad due to bad QB play.

So of your four examples only one of them supports your initial augment and that was Manning. But even there was a rather unique situation in that they planned to draft Luck, plus no one knew if Manning was ever even going to play again. So I'll ask again give me examples where a brand new coach got rid of a good QB (that wasn't injured) It doesn't happen!!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Neither Harbaugh or Rex meet your concept of the coach getting rid of the QB to bring in "his guy" as the coach was there at least a year prior to them cutting the QB, Ryan had like what three years under his belt with Sanchez before parting ways. And in the Bill's case the team was getting rid of him because they felt he wasn't very good and was overpaid. Kind of supports my comment that the reason a new coach gets rid of the old QB was because he wasn't very good, and that was why the coach got fired to begin with, the team was bad due to bad QB play.

So of your four examples only one of them supports your initial augment and that was Manning. But even there was a rather unique situation in that they planned to draft Luck, plus no one knew if Manning was ever even going to play again. So I'll ask again give me examples where a brand new coach got rid of a good QB (that wasn't injured) It doesn't happen!!

Hmmm. Your previous post was mis-worded then Ed. Even though the elaboration on the Pagano and Manning/Luck thing makes sense I still, in requirements, lean toward the 9ers fitting that situation more than Indy. Harbaugh drafted Kaep' in 2011 and during that season won with Alex Smith as his starter, finishing 13-3, beating the Saints in the Wild Card and losing to the Giants (due to nothing more than special team errors) in the Divisionals. Next season? He hit the bench midway through the season and the rest was history.

This is stupid to even be talking about, how old are you 12? here we are talking about how hard it is to find a QB and you expect Atlanta to hand you there franchise QB so now they will have the same problem as us.So your thinking is that they trade us Ryan and then bring back Vick, yes and we can get Santa Claus to play right guard.

This is stupid to even be talking about, how old are you 12? here we are talking about how hard it is to find a QB and you expect Atlanta to hand you there franchise QB so now they will have the same problem as us.So your thinking is that they trade us Ryan and then bring back Vick, yes and we can get Santa Claus to play right guard.

Our borderline Mall-Santa plays Center for us...

I'm mis-worded?? How about you?? Your post was based on the premise that the new coach in Atlanta is going to dump Ryan to bring in his own guy and we can get Ryan this off-season. Then you argue how Harbaugh did that, yes as you said two years later after he felt he had a better replacement in house. So maybe two years from now, we can hope the new coach in Atlanta dumps Ryan just like Harbaugh did. Maybe if Atlanta could get a QB in the next two months better than Ryan, they may decide to dump him, but considering he's probably in the top dozen or so rated QB's, where is that guy coming from? What team in the league would give up a top ten QB?

Any BTW, there's a huge difference in the abilities and ranking of Alex Smith Vs Matt Ryan. At the time it was about 50/50 on whether the 49er's made the right move to dump Smith as he had one (plus the half when he got hurt) very good season. Now it looks like it may have been a mistake, but at that time dumping Smith wasn't going out on much more of a limb than us dumping Fitz.

Hmmm. Your previous post was mis-worded then Ed. Even though the elaboration on the Pagano and Manning/Luck thing makes sense I still, in requirements, lean toward the 9ers fitting that situation more than Indy. Harbaugh drafted Kaep' in 2011 and during that season won with Alex Smith as his starter, finishing 13-3, beating the Saints in the Wild Card and losing to the Giants (due to nothing more than special team errors) in the Divisionals. Next season? He hit the bench midway through the season and the rest was history.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I'm mis-worded?? How about you?? Your post was based on the premise that the new coach in Atlanta is going to dump Ryan to bring in his own guy and we can get Ryan this off-season. Then you argue how Harbaugh did that, yes as you said two years later after he felt he had a better replacement in house. So maybe two years from now, we can hope the new coach in Atlanta dumps Ryan just like Harbaugh did. Maybe if Atlanta could get a QB in the next two months better than Ryan, they may decide to dump him, but considering he's probably in the top dozen or so rated QB's, where is that guy coming from? What team in the league would give up a top ten QB?

Any BTW, there's a huge difference in the abilities and ranking of Alex Smith Vs Matt Ryan. At the time it was about 50/50 on whether the 49er's made the right move to dump Smith as he had one (plus the half when he got hurt) very good season. Now it looks like it may have been a mistake, but at that time dumping Smith wasn't going out on much more of a limb than us dumping Fitz.

Please go find and quote me exactly where I stated Ryan will be dumped by the new HC they acquire. I am curious because my statements have only been the complete opposite unless they trade him for a gold mine.

Your whole point was about a new HC dumping a good QB so the guy he wants can play the position - that happened, to a tee with Harbaugh, Kaep' and the 9ers.

I was playing poker last night with a huge Falcons fan and he said he'd love to see Ryan shipped out. I thought h was joking but apparently, Falcon fans think he is a turtle in big games.

However, his college OC, Steve Logan, simply raves about the guy every week on the 99.9 The fan down here in Raleigh, NC area.

I seriously doubt he'd be put on the market.

Edited by KRT88

I'd give you 10-1 odds of that never happening. Wanna take it?

Sure.

Personally i feel if you give Rex an offense like the Falcons have he will get the most out of the defense.

Falcons were banged up this year, but i could see them adding a pass rusher in the draft and making a move in FA to get a couple vets that Rex could use and get the most out of.

To the poster who said that Ryan would not be much of an upgrade over what the Bills currently have, i can only hope you are basing that off yesterdays performance. Even with the Bills Oline, Ryan would be the best QB the Bills ever had. I love Jimbo but with today's rules and such Ryan would torch Kelly's stats and win a SB with this D.

Ryan went to BC and is a great QB who can play in all elements, the GB game this year proved that!

Ryan is an amazing and smart QB. IF Ryan had the Bills D he would win at least 12 games maybe 14.

I have been saying all year i wish the Bills could have Ryan for the season. Bills would be the best team in football i think.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

You are correct, you did say trade, but still just as unlikely to happen as no new coach would ever trade a good QB for whatever we or likely any team could offer. (unless a team offers Arron Rodgers for Ryan). My response was whether you trade him or cut him you're still getting rid of him and thta never happens when the team has a good QB in place. Of all the HC openings Atlanta may be the most appealing only because they have an above average QB on the roster.

Harbaugh got rid of Smith two seasons later so if the new coach in Atlanta follows your idea as you say "to the tee" how would that help Buffalo this off-season so I don't see how this is the same either, plus Smith was no where near a franchise level QB. Some could argue that neither is Ryan, but he's very close to that level, and would be a huge upgrade in Buffalo. I'd love it to happen, but it's not going to, at least not for the reasons you state.

Please go find and quote me exactly where I stated Ryan will be dumped by the new HC they acquire. I am curious because my statements have only been the complete opposite unless they trade him for a gold mine.

Your whole point was about a new HC dumping a good QB so the guy he wants can play the position - that happened, to a tee with Harbaugh, Kaep' and the 9ers.

nah. what makes you think the coach would just get rid of a young but proven qb hat is the heart and soul of the organisation? :death: That would be crazy unless he got 3 or more first round picks which we dont have to give. Plus Matty Ice gets paid a ridiculous amount which we probably cant afford. :thumbdown: