Rumor: Polian could return as soon as Monday

Bangarang

The problem is that Polian is probably not going to come for a little while

If Polian does come back as a consultant, here's what I'd like him to look at:

1. The structure and quality of the college scouting department (since that was always his strength, and not something Whaley's background is in)

2. Reviewing the front office structure and reporting roles

3. Acting as a sounding board / mentor to Whaley

4. Nothing else

I like what Whaley brings as GM. IMO, his mistakes have come from his "swing for the fences" self-confidence, a rookie trait that Polian also displayed IIRC early in his career.

With some good counsel (and counsel only--not direct interference), I think it would be a good idea. But I do not want a repeat of the Marv fiasco just because I can't see Bill at 72 being the same day-to-day guy he was twenty years ago.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The structure and quality of the college scouting department (since that was always his strength, and not something Whaley's background is in)

4. Nothing else

I like what Whaley brings as GM. IMO, his mistakes have come from his "swing for the fences" self-confidence, a rookie trait that Polian also displayed IIRC early in his career.

With some good counsel (and counsel only--not direct interference), I think it would be a good idea. But I do not want a repeat of the Marv fiasco just because I can't see Bill at 72 being the same day-to-day guy he was twenty years ago.

Perfectly said. That's what I would want too. He examines the whole operation. Everything. Makes suggestions for how it would work better. Is a sounding board for Whaley and Marrone. I don't think he should have any power over Whaley or Marrone.

@JasonLaCanfora - 2h ago

Continue to hear very strong possibility Bill Polian takes some sort of football czar role w/Bills. His son Chris would
not
be going w/him

That I could live with. I want nothing to do with Chris, but Polian in a advisory role would be OK with me.

I love Bill Polian and would love to see him in Buffalo as a consultant, but they need to keep Whaley.

Polian has a HOF career no doubt, but he also inherited Kelly and had Manning fall in his lap which made that career quite a bit easier.

My concern with Polian is that with all those great teams in Buffalo and Indy, there was only one Lombardi trophy to show for it. He didn't have a great resume in terms of getting those final pieces and getting teams over the hump. But how much of that is on him and how much of that was on the players and coaches? I would say both personally.

Whaley has found a ton of talent in FA, the draft and via trade that has really helped turn this team around. We lack a QB still, but who else has been available that Whaley could have taken? EJ has been most productive QB out of the draft last 2 years and Orton was best FA QB this year. Both haven't been good, but that is not on Whaley, there wasnt anyone else available that has been better.

So I say, bring Polian in as a consultant, but do NOT get rid of Whaley, he's the best thing thats happened to this team in years.

Edited by Alphadawg7

4. Nothing else

Nice post Lurker. I am right there with you.

I hear you about not getting younger. But in a season in which we are going nowhere, why not finish dead last and get a generational talent who might become the next Sidney Crosby.

You make your life a lot easier for yourself if your team has the best guy on the field. Or ice. And that is a gift which will keep on giving for over a decade in the case of McEichel.

We have suffered way too long already (with the Sabres) not to go all the way and finish dead last this year.

Finishing dead last does not even guarantee anything. The NHL changed the draft process again, whereby the team with the worst record now has only a 20% chance of getting the 1st pick. And the 29th place team has a 13.5% chance. Sure the odds are still better than that of the 28th team (where Sabres stand now) of 11.5 % but they've made the odds more balanced across the lottery teams.

The lottery is becoming more like the NBA, which I don't like. Since the NBA Lottery started in 1985, only 3 times has the team with the worst record won the 1st pick. To me, that's just stupid. The team with the worst record should have like a 50% chance of getting the 1st pick.

Also, in 2016 the NHL will adopt another rule taken from the NBA system. Since the NHL Draft Lottery started in 1995, the team with the worst record could only drop one position. Starting in 2016, they can drop as far as 4th.

Finishing dead last does not even guarantee anything. The NHL changed the draft process again, whereby the team with the worst record now has only a 20% chance of getting the 1st pick. And the 29th place team has a 13.5% chance. Sure the odds are still better than that of the 28th team (where Sabres stand now) of 11.5 % but they've made the odds more balanced across the lottery teams.

The lottery is becoming more like the NBA, which I don't like. Since the NBA Lottery started in 1985, only 3 times has the team with the worst record won the 1st pick. To me, that's just stupid. The team with the worst record should have like a 50% chance of getting the 1st pick.

Also, in 2016 the NHL will adopt another rule taken from the NBA system. Since the NHL Draft Lottery started in 1995, the team with the worst record could only drop one position. Starting in 2016, they can drop as far as 4th.

It doesnt matter this year because there are two guys like that. McDavid and Eichel. No one would want the tank at the 20% chance like you're saying. But this year and this year only, if they finish last, they would be certain to get one of the two of them. Next year the lottery changes and the #1 worst team isn't assured of getting either #1 or #2 pick. This year it is. So fans still want them desperately to finish last.

It doesnt matter this year because there are two guys like that. McDavid and Eichel. No one would want the tank at the 20% chance like you're saying. But this year and this year only, if they finish last, they would be certain to get one of the two of them. Next year the lottery changes and the #1 worst team isn't assured of getting either #1 or #2 pick. This year it is. So fans still want them desperately to finish last.

Thanks for clarifying that... that was what I had thought but couldn't get a straight answer.

I love Polian. Genius almost.

But I really love Whaley too. The next generation Polian maybe.

I'm all for Polian coming, as long as Whaley remains GM. Whaley has a plan. He has built a strong, hungry, young team. He has no QB, but I dont think Polian can come here and magically find one either.

Come to think of it, since I love Whaley so much, I'm actually NOT on board with Polian coming in. Your time came and you did well, but your time was long ago. Stop trying so hard to prop up your son. He will sink or swim on his own merit.

In today's NFL, Whaley has shown that he has it. Chris Polian, notsomuch.

Agreed 100%.

Polian inherited Kelly. And if we can get Peyton Manning, he would be a genius.

Polian is a Hall of Famer but it's important to remember the last team he built was 2-14. He should be a minority voice in team matters. And the fact he thinks Marrone should be coach of the year terrifies me.

+1

FYI - it has been confirmed that Polian accepting a job with the Bills would not influence his eligibility for the HOF. He does not have to wait for the vote before accepting a job. Maybe he has a bonus in his TV deal or a requirement that he stays until a certain date. Maybe this is all B.S. Who knows. But there sames to be a lot of smoke around this story and I would be happy to welcome Bill Polian back. The biggest mistake Ralph ever made was firing Bill.

I read an article (or maybe it was a tweet) that said Polian knows he would still be eligible, but is concerned that it may influence his vote. He needs 80% of the vote to be enshrined, and if it's perceived that he is returning to the NFL, some voters might abstain and wait to see his full body of work when he retires "for certain."

Obviously getting into the Hall Of Fame is the highest honor you can receive, and I would completely understand if he didn't want to upset the apple cart on his chance at NFL immortality.

f5 f5 f5

Don't wear out the F5 key just yet. February 2nd is most likely the Magic Monday (guessing). Keep in mind he never told the Buffalo News he wasn't coming to Buffalo, he only said is isn't going to be there Monday and that he will be with ESPN for weeks. If you still haven't heard it, listen to his answer on Sirius radio. All he had to do was say "NO," but instead he gave an unconvincing 30+ second song and dance.

A few other thoughts and speculations - I don't think for a second he would be coming here to replace Whaley as GM. My guess would be as an advisory or to possibly (hopefully) take over Brandon's job as Team President. I think all of us would agree that Brandon should be kept away from football operations.

And for those that think this is far-fetched, remember LaFontaine and Nolan. When that rumor surfaced it was far more ridiculous than this scenario, especially considering the NHL season was just getting underway. I nearly drove off the road when they announced that both of them were returning. Not only is this scenario plausible, but it fits Pegula's past MO of bringing back local heroes. Or, maybe it really is just wishful thinking.

Ahhhh more of that huh. The Sabres seem to be pretty talented already regarding youth in the system, what they lack is current talent. One more year of stocking the pond with youth while suffering with the current team, then what 3 more years before the youth starts paying dividends? I'm not getting any younger ;)

What the Sabres lack is top line talent in the prospect pool. With the lack of current talent and with the chance to pick the next Crosby, tanking is the most logical course.

If we finish dead last we can pick no worse than 2nd. Which means we are guaranteed one of 2 generational talents.

If we finish dead last we can pick no worse than 2nd. Which means we are guaranteed one of 2 generational talents.

I understand the point. But I simply don't think losing to get a draft pick is an intelligent approach. You may bet that great player, but as an organization you haven't built a winning philosophy. You risk alienating the players on the team now --these are young guys who need to learn to win, not lose--so you fail to establish the culture of winning. Winning is contagious as is losing. Good players, and good coaches are wired to try to win. How do you go about telling them to lose? Your fans in the arena deserve to see the team trying to win, every night. And, winning this year is the best predictor of winning next year. Check it out.

Furthermore, if I was in charge of an organization and someone advised us to lose a/some games, for whatever reason, I'd fire him/her on the spot. If I was a violent man, I might punch the crap out of him, too---but I'm not. There are few things more repugnant to me.

Edited by The Dean