Rumor: Polian could return as soon as Monday

Bangarang

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said that he won't be taking the Buffalo job on Monday. He was very careful with his words. A lot of reliable people have heard that he is on the way. What Bill Polian's role will be is TBD.

He said explicitly, I will be working at ESPN on monday, working at ESPN next week, and working at ESPN the next several weeks. That made me believe through the SB and then and only then would he start working with the Bills. It could be just to tell his bosses he's not leaving (until the Bills formally offer him a job). But he did specifically say that he will be at ESPN for several weeks.

He said explicitly, I will be working at ESPN on monday, working at ESPN next week, and working at ESPN the next several weeks. That made me believe through the SB and then and only then would he start working with the Bills. It could be just to tell his bosses he's not leaving (until the Bills formally offer him a job). But he did specifically say that he will be at ESPN for several weeks.

The HOF vote for his candidacy is on January 31 - several weeks from now.

The HOF vote for his candidacy is on January 31 - several weeks from now.

I forgot that part. I added that in other threads when I discussed this the other day. Yep, that's a part of it, too.

That said, if it were only as a consultant, that wouldn't affect the HOF vote in all likelihood. If he were to accept a big position like GM, then he might not get in this year.

But i doubt he was coming here to be GM, and if he were, it would hurt them tremendously that he missed this essential month.

Unless it is Polian, it does not look like the Bills are going to be hiring a consultant, at least not a name we typically hear (Accorsi, Wolf, and Casserly). Kind of shocked about this. Seemed like it would make a lot of sense given new ownership and a failure to make the playoffs for 15 years.

Unless it is Polian, it does not look like the Bills are going to be hiring a consultant, at least not a name we typically hear (Accorsi, Wolf, and Casserly). Kind of shocked about this. Seemed like it would make a lot of sense given new ownership and a failure to make the playoffs for 15 years.

it will be Polian.

just a matter of working out the details.....power, money and who reports to who

To start, you are not correct about what the Director of Pro Personnel does...I'll let National Football Post explain more thoroughly:

http://www.nationalf...l-Director.html

Teams have both a Director of Pro Personnel and a Director of College Scouting for a reason. One handles pro personnel, and one handles college scouting.

Now, onto your numbered points:

1. It isn't, as explained above. You are confusing Director of Pro Personnel with Director of Player Personnel; they are different.

2. I'm not the one that called the selection of Bortles a success, so while I'm happy to back my opinion, simply stating "the consensus is" without providing any backing is useless, so I'll fully anticipate that you'll back up your snarky comments with some type of facts in return. Regardless, here goes:

His record as a starter was horrible--3-11.

His passing statistics were lousy. 24th in yards, 32nd in YPA, 33rd in QB rating, 11:17 TD:INT ratio, 30th in total QBR...should I go on?

Now, please defend your opinion against every single measurable statistic that would indicate that he was awful this year.

Thank you in advance.

Oh good, another extremely snarky response layered with totally incorrect assertions and nebulous opinions!

1. First, do not presume to put words into my mouth about Bill Polian. We were discussing Chris, and you decided to shift the argument because, well, I'm not sure why, but it was dumb, and a non-sequitur at that. Chris took over as GM in 2009--I'd have thought you knew that, but nevertheless, I'm happy to educate you:

http://content.usato...t/1#.VKHKpf8w4A

Prior to that time, he served primarily on the pro personnel side of things under Bill.

If we're to assume that, as GM, he presided over the drafts starting in 2009--and until he was dismissed following the 2011 season--please tell me which of those you'd be happy with:

http://www.nfl.com/d...=2200&type=team

There is exactly 1 draft pick from those 3 draft classes still on the team. Perhaps that's your definition of a "long track record of success"...if so, I'd encourage you to aim higher.

2. He never worked for the Panthers, at least not according to his professional profile:

http://www.jaguars.c...ris-polian.html

3. Here's Whaley's 2 drafts so that you can compare them to Chris Polian's 3 drafts:

http://www.nfl.com/d...=0610&type=team

Now, feel free to back up your assertion that Chris Polian has a "long track record of success"

I trust you have some type of source to back up this widely held belief that he made expensive mistakes? Please, by all means, post a credible source citing this...I mean, I'm sure, given your pretention for asking for such sources, that you wouldn't just interject your opinion in place of one, right?

Basically, it seems your opinion that Whaley is in over his head is founded upon one thing: that the QB selected with the 16th pick in 2013--a draft in which Whaley was not yet the GM--did not result in a franchise QB.

Lastly, it would be wise to refrain from challenging people to come up with conclusions that go beyond a reasonable doubt. Two reasons here: 1) this isn't a court of law, and asking for that is pretentious at best, and complete jackassery at worst, 2) it's hard to present conclusions that go beyond a reasonable doubt when the person to whom I'm responding isn't reasonable.

Because, on occasion, smacking around a pretentious know-nothing can be fun.

Not sure if it matters because I didn't read the whole thread but fwiw Chris did actually work for the Panthers ( I know him). He was a college scout. The bottom rung where they are on the road weeks at a time and make no money. Telesco was always just one step behind him. Until Chris got fired.

Telesco was just as responsible for those Colts drafts post 2009 as dir of player personnel. He set the board.

Btw I have no interest on Chris Polian being our GM but would love to see Bill come on as a consultant, even short term.

Edited by YoloinOhio

eh, this makes me think he's returning to buffalo:

responses like, "i'm here, not there" and "i don't discuss rumors" leave plenty of wiggle room.

I was just going to post this... This soundbyte all but convinces me he is coming. He has every chance to firmly debunk it and doesn't do it

If Bill does come on in some advisory capacity, expect him to recommend paying Hughes his asking price. He has always been a proponent of paying pass rushers and CBs. He will also recommend extending Dareus. He often says dominant DT is one of the hardest players to find.

But he isn't huge on bringing in big name FAs from other teams. He believes strongly in building through the draft. I have to believe he will recommend a vet QB. And could see him trying to pry one of the offensive coaches from the Colts to develop the QBs here (I.e. Clyde Christenson) or to be OC. Jmo.

Edited by YoloinOhio

eh, this makes me think he's returning to buffalo: https://soundcloud.c...ffalo-non-story

responses like, "i'm here, not there" and "i don't discuss rumors" leave plenty of wiggle room.

I was firmly in the camp of "Why does this thread still exist?" But after hearing that, I would say there's a very good chance he's coming here in some capacity. Good Lord, all he had to do was give a simple 1-word answer -- "No."

It looks like those who were speculating he won't commit until after the Jan 31, 2015 HOF vote may be right.

It certainly fits with Pegula's style of going back to old school heroes ala LaFontaine. It will be a popular move for sure, but not convinced it is the right one.

Please let it be true. He would be a huge addition to our personnel dept in whatever capacity they bring him in.

Didn't the Jets already contract with him? They seem to be using every ex GM as a consultant. And we know Woody is a football GENIUS.