Russ Brandon - The [Silent] Common Denominator

Justafan9

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But why would the President of a company be involved in its day-to-day operations!? It makes no sense! :D

I'm sure Immult cheers when GE releases a new turbine, doesn't mean he designed it...

I don't know...does Immult sit next to the designers before their deadline? Does he set up an engineers table right next to the engineers? Did he at one point become a de facto engineer? (I checked, and surprisingly - no he has an MBA from Harvard)

One thing that doesn't seem to be mentioned a lot in the Brandon conversations is that for the vast majority of his career, he was basically just being Ralph's Lieutenant and good soldier. He carried out Ralph's wishes, and that is why Ralph kept giving him promotion after promotion, and more and more power and responsibility. One way to look at it is the way a lot of people are, that he is the common denominator to the bad stuff that has been omnipresent for 20 years.

Another way to look at it, perhaps a better way, is that now Brandon would be Pegula's Lieutenant and good soldier, and carrying out Pegula's wishes, which are going to be considerably different. And if Brandon is as good at carrying out Pegula's wishes as he had been Ralph's, we may have quite a good man for the job.

When Brandon was allegedly hiring coaches, he didn't have the ability to offer their assistant's huge contracts, or give them huge perks that they may have requested. Chip Kelly never would have come here before. He may have considered it if Pegula had been here already.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

It's not. It's actually really simple to understand. Too simple, in fact. That's why I think Russ Brandon is actually an alien.

I_Want_to_Believe_UFO_poster.jpg

Ha ha, that may be true.

Just to be clear if people want to take issue with the job that RB has done feel free. I get annoyed when people pin stuff on RB or JO or whoever even though they have nothing to do with it. If you have an issue with Marrone and/or Whaley in their roles than you can certainly look to RB. If you don't like the Kuoandjio pick that's not where you should point he finger.

People just say that he's been there forever so it's his fault. There are lots of people that have been there forever but that doesn't mean they assemble talent. Longevity doesn't make you a talent evaluator. RB has excelled at his role. One area where he can certainly be questioned that is often overlooked is leaving Modrak & Guy in charge of the roster. The years where RB & Marv were the "GM" were 100% run by Modrak and Guy. I promise you that neither RB or Marv has ever MADE a personnel decision on the Bills. The talent acquired in that period really set he team back.

Yeah, he had nothing to do with any personnel decisions. :rolleyes:

tempCM6_6476--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=620&height=465

They're chatting about concession prices here, on draft day:

BnKgp7-IYAASZZi.jpg

So, from these pictures we should deduce that Russ Brandon was running the show in the draft room? Really? Was that Brandon on the phone with the Browns? Was it Brandon that made the call on taking Kouandjio in the 2nd round? It was Brandon that worked the previous 12 months compiling the scouting info, breaking it down, and assigning player grades? It was Brandon that constructed the draft board?

Are the terms "collaboration" and "consensus" familiar to you?

Can you find me a picture from ANY war room in the league on draft day that DOESN'T have the team president in attendance?

As president of the team Brandon was very much involved with the ENTIRE operation; all of it. And that includes taking Whaley, Marrone, personnel directors, scouts, etc. to task for the jobs they were hired to do. That was his job. That DOESN'T mean he thinks he knows more than they do when it comes to football and personnel decisions. Which is why he NEVER made a SINGLE personnel decision on his own. Ever. Including his time as "GM." I'll give him credit for having the good sense to defer to the expertise around him.

GO BILLS!!!

One thing that doesn't seem to be mentioned a lot in the Brandon conversations is that for the vast majority of his career, he was basically just being Ralph's Lieutenant and good soldier. He carried out Ralph's wishes, and that is why Ralph kept giving him promotion after promotion, and more and more power and responsibility. One way to look at it is the way a lot of people are, that he is the common denominator to the bad stuff that has been omnipresent for 20 years.

Another way to look at it, perhaps a better way, is that now Brandon would be Pegula's Lieutenant and good soldier, and carrying out Pegula's wishes, which are going to be considerably different. And if Brandon is as good at carrying out Pegula's wishes as he had been Ralph's, we may have quite a good man for the job.

When Brandon was allegedly hiring coaches, he didn't have the ability to offer their assistant's huge contracts, or give them huge perks that they may have requested. Chip Kelly never would have come here before. He may have considered it if Pegula had been here already.

Really well said! Our old president used to talk about this a lot. His only responsibility is to do what's in his bosses' best wishes (the owner). Our owner was a bit of a loose cannon and the president amazing. He did what he was asked. It's just like we all do. You may not agree with what your superior asks of you but at the end of the day you have to carry out those wishes.

So, from these pictures we should deduce that Russ Brandon was running the show in the draft room? Really? Was that Brandon on the phone with the Browns? Was it Brandon that made the call on taking Kouandjio in the 2nd round? It was Brandon that worked the previous 12 months compiling the scouting info, breaking it down, and assigning player grades? It was Brandon that constructed the draft board?

Can you find me a picture from ANY war room in the league on draft day that DOESN'T have the team president in attendance?

As president of the team Brandon was very much involved with the ENTIRE operation; all of it. And that includes taking Whaley, Marrone, personnel directors, scouts, etc. to task for the jobs they were hired to do. That was his job. That DOESN'T mean he thinks he knows more than they do when it comes to football and personnel decisions. Which is why he NEVER made a SINGLE personnel decision on his own. Ever. Including his time as "GM." I'll give him credit for having the good sense to defer to the expertise around him.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually, I think it was Brandon on the phone with the Browns IIRC, up until the trade was made, which was Whaley on the phone with the Browns. The Bills had a point man with each team above them, discussing trade possibilities. They weren't making the offer but relaying info from Whaley. But I think Brandon, who knew someone on the browns was the guy with them. I could be remembering this wrong.

Very interesting argument. Unfortunately, I would argue that Brandon wasn't necessarily that great at carrying out Ralph's wishes. To some degree, sure. I'm sure Ralph, in all seriousness and senility, said "Only Marv Levy can come in here and save us." And then Russ did that.

I was carrying out orders, sir! It was a Code Red!

Actually, I think it was Brandon on the phone with the Browns IIRC, up until the trade was made, which was Whaley on the phone with the Browns. The Bills had a point man with each team above them, discussing trade possibilities. They weren't making the offer but relaying info from Whaley. But I think Brandon, who knew someone on the browns was the guy with them. I could be remembering this wrong.

You are. The trade was consummated on the phone between Whaley and Farmer. They'd had a couple prior conversations. I don't care if Brandon was on the phone with someone in Cleveland or not. Brandon did not conceive of the trade, negotiate the trade, or close the deal. That doesn't mean it all happened in a vacuum. Like most decisions in most war rooms, it was a consensus agreement. But Whaley owns it.

None of that has much to do with my point, though. Which is simply, in what world does the team president NOT be in attendance in the war room to take part in the process as those he's hired specifically for this function perform those tasks?

For some strange reason I can't fathom, a certain segment of our fan base HAS to believe Brandon micromanages every single aspect of the operation when nothing is farther from the truth. Ask the people you know in that building and they'll tell you RB is a serial delegater. He very well may NOT want to own some of the poor decisions of the past and that's WHY he delegates so much.

GO BILLS!!!

Very interesting argument. Unfortunately, I would argue that Brandon wasn't necessarily that great at carrying out Ralph's wishes. To some degree, sure. I'm sure Ralph, in all seriousness and senility, said "Only Marv Levy can come in here and save us." And then Russ did that.

I was carrying out orders, sir! It was a Code Red!

What evidence do you have to support that?

You are. The trade was consummated on the phone between Whaley and Farmer. They'd had a couple prior conversations. I don't care if Brandon was on the phone with someone in Cleveland or not. Brandon did not conceive of the trade, negotiate the trade, or close the deal. That doesn't mean it all happened in a vacuum. Like most decisions in most war rooms, it was a consensus agreement. But Whaley owns it.

None of that has much to do with my point, though. Which is simply, in what world does the team president NOT be in attendance in the war room to take part in the process as those he's hired specifically for this function perform those tasks?

For some strange reason I can't fathom, a certain segment of our fan base HAS to believe Brandon micromanages every single aspect of the operation when nothing is farther from the truth. Ask the people you know in that building and they'll tell you RB is a serial delegater. He very well may NOT want to own some of the poor decisions of the past and that's WHY he delegates so much.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with all of that. I said Whaley was responsible for the whole trade. I thought I remembered that the point man was Russ for the Browns, but it was Jacksonville that Russ was talking to all along on Whaley's behalf, not the Browns. I was not at all saying Russ was part of the trade decision. My bad.

What evidence do you have to support that?

I worded that poorly. He was great at carrying out Ralph's wishes. I just think execution was not always on point.

We'll never know because some of the moves, like the Buddy Nix hire, seem like Ralph may have just made the call in his old age.

I worded that poorly. He was great at carrying out Ralph's wishes. I just think execution was not always on point.

We'll never know because some of the moves, like the Buddy Nix hire, seem like Ralph may have just made the call in his old age.

In your opinion Ralph wished Russ to execute poorly?

I can't go down the Sullivan/Carrucci path of looking at plays or individual players or coaches anymore. After 15 years, it's time to recognize that there is a greater pattern. Questions:

On what planet do you fail for as long as he has and keep your job?

Why is he the only Pres in the AFC East without an Ivy League graduate degree? How many other team Presidents in the NFL are running teams with their bachelors degrees?

How did a bachelors degree from St. John Fischer, some experience with the Marlins, and 9 years with the bills make him qualified to run an NFL franchise?

How many hours and dollars did he spend on the Toronto deals which could have been spent trying to make the team better?

Why have we hired more head coaches than any team (except Raiders) since 2000?

Why have we not been able to hire a head coach with a winning record?

Why is the team winning less than 40% of its games during his tenure?

How do prospects feel about coming to play for a guy with this track record, who has the same education level as they do?

I'm sure Ive missed some details, but the point is, the guy is grossly under qualified with a long track record of failure. I think he had RW brainwashed, and I hope Pegula asks the hard questions about Mr. Brandon. It's time to have this team run professionally.

IMHO, the reason we have not had top tier coaching talent in Buffalo was the owner....(not because he was cheap btw, he wasn't) but because his potential passing while in his late 80's and 90's and the following sale and potential relocation, made this franchise an undesireable landing site for top coaching talent. They could go where they wanted, into a more stable situation. Things will be better on that front now with the Pegula's as long term commited to Buffalo owners. Hoping Marrone puts on his big boy shorts and can's Hackett and recognizes the O is a failure. He needs to bring in a new OC, and let him make the calls. Its not working after two years of the Marrone/Hackett offensive scheme.

I can't go down the Sullivan/Carrucci path of looking at plays or individual players or coaches anymore. After 15 years, it's time to recognize that there is a greater pattern. Questions:

Why is he the only Pres in the AFC East without an Ivy League graduate degree? How many other team Presidents in the NFL are running teams with their bachelors degrees?

How did a bachelors degree from St. John Fischer, some experience with the Marlins, and 9 years with the bills make him qualified to run an NFL franchise?

How many hours and dollars did he spend on the Toronto deals which could have been spent trying to make the team better?

How do prospects feel about coming to play for a guy with this track record, who has the same education level as they do?

I'm sure Ive missed some details, but the point is, the guy is grossly under qualified with a long track record of failure. I think he had RW brainwashed, and I hope Pegula asks the hard questions about Mr. Brandon. It's time to have this team run professionally.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This is a failed organization - total failure - tear it down and start again.

GO BILLS!!!

And your source for this is????

Many of us will vouch for K-9...he's got a history with the organization

The fact that he needs no source for all the speculation regarding Russ Brandon's role in bringing the Bills down from the inside suggests that any source provided which add to color to the last decade will be insufficient.

Because he's not running the team anymore. Whaley is in charge of football decisions and TPegs is the owner.

The time of Russ making anything but marketing decisions are gone.

Whaley is running the team? It appears the Marrone is telling Whaley that the first round selection of 2013 isn't worth a crap.

Got to one up the Russ bashers. Overdorf and Littman are next man up. Real fans know the problem is Berchtold though, just like real Beatles fans know the best song was that B-side, deep track, 'Number 11 Teen' featuring Yoko farting on a snare drum. The bootleg, 1979, BBC session. Not the studio version.

They were done by April 1970

GO BILLS!!!

Did hire his brother now working as general counsel with the Bills

Because he's not running the team anymore. Whaley is in charge of football decisions and TPegs is the owner.

lol

Many of us will vouch for K-9...he's got a history with the organization

I 2nd this. When it comes to the personnel side of he Bills there is probably not a more credible poster on this board than K-9.

Much appreciated, gentlemen. There have been several folks around here over the years, you guys included, that have known folks in the building at various times and/or are close to the media that covers the team. When we piece all of our tidbits together, we're usually able to cobble together a somewhat coherent picture.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

I saw him answer a phone for Whaley. Burn the witch.

I know he was. What's your point?

I believe fridge is saying that there were "probably" more qualified candidates available at the time of Marrone's hiring and that this was "probably" a "homeboy network" hiring. Can we not help but wonder where this team would be with Bruce Arians coaching?

is it really shocking that people get the impression that Russ Brandon has and continues to be a major influence and voice on the football team? I dont get how people just dismiss others who have that perception. Tim Graham even said Brandon continues to have heavy influence in football matters the other day (on twitter). Heck, Ive seen people make arguments that when he was named General Manager he still wasnt making any decisions, lol.

The equipment manager may get to go in the draft room, but is he front and center with materials in front of him?

http://proplayerinsi...-pic-of-day.jpg

http://www.buffalobi...elegate-714.jpg

http://www.buffalobi...c0-06e835414672

http://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photo-gallery/Inside-the-Bills-Draft-Room/af5ab3f5-3e98-49af-a306-1d23ba1cda0d#d66e9b21-64f4-4e04-8e73-747f909bea2d

Is frustration and discontent with Overdorf really unwarranted too? The guy is in charge of negotiating contracts... so many have gone so well. Peters, Byrd, Pat Williams, Winfield, etc... At least we locked in Kelsey for so long. The team has a history of squeezing out the wrong (best) players. The team is in great cap position for playing "cash to the cap" forever.

I just cant wrap my head around why any Bills fan is/would be satisfied with the status quo here. This franchise has not been good with Ralph's management. They have a grand total of 1 playoff win without Jim Kelly. I do not want to see a continuation of that legacy. Im sure Pegula has a higher vision for this.

Don't forget the Ryan Fitzpatrick contract

I agree the dude should NOT be running a NFL franchise but at what he does he is very good . The first part of the Toronto series although being a total turd to the fans in that it took away home games from the Ralph it did make the team $78 mill so even though it wasn't great for the fans it wasn't terrible for the team ...

Then there is the thing with hiring our coach , total homer hire , could have done a lot worse (i guess) but with who was out there at the time not real sure how ...

Put the guy back where he belongs & get a NFL guy putty in his place ...

This team is frustrating. I remember in the 1980's the Bills were frustrating but you knew they were honestly making gains and success was coming. This team does not leave me with that feeling. It just leaves me feeling frustrated. How do you beat Green Bay and then not show up for a critical game against a loser like Oakland? You can make the argument that the Bills should have won eariler games so that this one would not have had the impact it did. I can agree with that. Then how do you not beat teams like Houston and Kansas City? How do you not show up for the game in Miami? The franchise needs a total house cleaning and Brandon should be the first to be shown the door. When my dog craps in the house the smell doesn't go away until all of the crap is removed.

I believe fridge is saying that there were "probably" more qualified candidates available at the time of Marrone's hiring and that this was "probably" a "homeboy network" hiring. Can we not help but wonder where this team would be with Bruce Arians coaching?

He's said 9 different things and has yet to demonstrate lack of due diligence and its very much a subject of debate that it was the wrong hire. Lay that on Russ all day, but theres nothing but unfounded speculation and plausibility.

He's said 9 different things and has yet to demonstrate lack of due diligence and its very much a subject of debate that it was the wrong hire. Lay that on Russ all day, but theres nothing but unfounded speculation and plausibility.

We have a much different definition of unfounded. What 9 different things did I say, Yoko?

We have a much different definition of unfounded. What 9 different things did I say, Yoko?

Badges

Unqualified

Leave no stone unturned

Hired coaching Cuse coaching staff

In the War Room

etc

You've advanced several disjointed arguments as to why Russ is to blame for our woes and these arguments have either been discredited or gone unsupported. I'm not interested in breaking this down for you any further since you've yet to even attempt to address any of the pointed questions I've asked. Instead you reply with some version of "OK, so he had no influence?? OK. I believe you", which is something I've never stated. Its clear that you have little understanding of what I write and little memory of your own involvement in this thread.

His point is that Brandon once again blew the coaching hire. Why are you trying to be so argumentative?

That was a small part of his ever evolving point for those who are paying attention. Why is it unreasonable to ask someone who implied that Russ failed to do proper due diligence and based his decision on a Syracuse buddy network to back that up?

Which other times has Russ blown the coaching hire?

If you and fridge don't want to have your opinions questioned than why post them publicly?

His point is that Brandon once again blew the coaching hire. Why are you trying to be so argumentative?

And that point is, in the very least, overstated.

For one, the team is better under Marrone than they were before he got here.

For another, Brandon didn't force the hire. He recommended Marrone, and Nix/Whaley made the hire. Had they really wanted someone else, Russ wouldn't have stood in the way--it's not at all how he operates.

I don't know...does Immult sit next to the designers before their deadline? Does he set up an engineers table right next to the engineers? Did he at one point become a de facto engineer? (I checked, and surprisingly - no he has an MBA from Harvard)

Fair point. But does he check-in on the designers before deadline? Is he there when they unveil the next gen turbine? I bet yes...

Granted the "Russ as football GM" was a bad idea, but, while I'm sure he has some influence (he is the President), I'm pretty sure the football guys are making the football decisions now. And the Bills are a well run team and that is in part because of Brandon.

Of course as a guy with 10+ years in the sports marketing world, I'm all for firing Russ and hiring me! I promise TBD I'll stay out of Football decisions...

For another, Brandon didn't force the hire. He recommended Marrone, and Nix/Whaley made the hire. Had they really wanted someone else, Russ wouldn't have stood in the way--it's not at all how he operates.

So funny the number of people here that think Russ (or Whaley, or Buddy) work and make decisions in a vacuum. Any big decision like this is made by a core group of "upper management", or at least that's how major decisions are made at every company I've ever worked for (and, you know, that's what articles have said happened in this case).

Edited by Heitz