Russ Brandon - The [Silent] Common Denominator

Justafan9

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, RB has been in his current position since the end of the '12 season, so I guess the answer is two seasons?

Yet another RB thread that totally ignores the other craptastic management performed by the likes of John Butler, Tom Donahoe, Marv Jauron (they were a tandem, joined at the hip). Not to mention the overseers in Detroit that entire time.

GO BILLS!!!

Every one these weekly Russ threads is exactly the same. We get it. You blame Russ because you do not understand what his role with the team has historically been, you don't understand what his role is now, you're skeptical about what role if any he will continue to play, but you're certain his influence is very strong and guides every poor decision. This opinion is barely defensible, but since it cannot be definitively discredited it must be right. See you next week.

ding ding ding!! winner

So you're saying its his fault. Fire the assistant equipment manager?

Maybe you should start a thread on that? I read in one of these the other day that it was Jim Overdorf's fault that we lost the other day. The guy that is in charge of the cap on a team that is in great position cap wise was the reason that they lost to the Raiders. I can't make this stuff up. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Maybe you should start a thread on that? I read in one of these the other day that it was Jim Overdorf's fault that we lot the other day. The guy that is in charge of the cap on a team that is in great position cap wise was the reason that they lost to the Raiders. I can't make this stuff up.

Got to one up the Russ bashers. Overdorf and Littman are next man up. Real fans know the problem is Berchtold though, just like real Beatles fans know the best song was that B-side, deep track, 'Number 11 Teen' featuring Yoko farting on a snare drum. The bootleg, 1979, BBC session. Not the studio version.

is it really shocking that people get the impression that Russ Brandon has and continues to be a major influence and voice on the football team? I dont get how people just dismiss others who have that perception. Tim Graham even said Brandon continues to have heavy influence in football matters the other day (on twitter). Heck, Ive seen people make arguments that when he was named General Manager he still wasnt making any decisions, lol.

The equipment manager may get to go in the draft room, but is he front and center with materials in front of him?

http://proplayerinsi...-pic-of-day.jpg

http://www.buffalobi...elegate-714.jpg

http://www.buffalobi...c0-06e835414672

http://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photo-gallery/Inside-the-Bills-Draft-Room/af5ab3f5-3e98-49af-a306-1d23ba1cda0d#d66e9b21-64f4-4e04-8e73-747f909bea2d

Is frustration and discontent with Overdorf really unwarranted too? The guy is in charge of negotiating contracts... so many have gone so well. Peters, Byrd, Pat Williams, Winfield, etc... At least we locked in Kelsey for so long. The team has a history of squeezing out the wrong (best) players. The team is in great cap position for playing "cash to the cap" forever.

I just cant wrap my head around why any Bills fan is/would be satisfied with the status quo here. This franchise has not been good with Ralph's management. They have a grand total of 1 playoff win without Jim Kelly. I do not want to see a continuation of that legacy. Im sure Pegula has a higher vision for this.

Edited by May Day 10

is it really shocking that people get the impression that Russ Brandon has and continues to be a major influence and voice on the football team? I dont get how people just dismiss others who have that perception. Tim Graham even said Brandon continues to have heavy influence in football matters the other day (on twitter). Heck, Ive seen people make arguments that when he was named General Manager he still wasnt making any decisions, lol.

The equipment manager may get to go in the draft room, but is he front and center with materials in front of him?

Is frustration and discontent with Overdorf really unwarranted too? The guy is in charge of negotiating contracts... so many have gone so well. Peters, Byrd, Pat Williams, Winfield, etc... At least we locked in Kelsey for so long. The team has a history of squeezing out the wrong (best) players. The team is in great cap position for playing "cash to the cap" forever.

I just cant wrap my head around why any Bills fan is/would be satisfied with the status quo here. This franchise has not been good with Ralph's management. They have a grand total of 1 playoff win without Jim Kelly. I do not want to see a continuation of that legacy. Im sure Pegula has a higher vision for this.

Stop it, you're crazy.

http://www.buffalobi...c0-06e835414672

http://www.buffalobi...73-747f909bea2d

Define major influence and demonstrate it in the context of why Russ is to blame for all our woes. Simple plausibility is a weak argument.

To what degree does Overdorf have say? Does he and did he have the authority to offer Peters the farm?

Until you can outline how much power they had and how the shaped certain decisions than the argument stands at "Fire Russ, Littman, and Overdorf because they've been here a long time and the team has sucked," which I'm fine with. Just don't pretend there's anymore to the argument than that.

Edited by Jauronimo

Got to one up the Russ bashers. Overdorf and Littman are next man up. Real fans know the problem is Berchtold though, just like real Beatles fans know the best song was that B-side, deep track, 'Number 11 Teen' featuring Yoko farting on a snare drum. The bootleg, 1979, BBC session. Not the studio version.

Ha ha, exactly. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Define major influence and demonstrate it in the context of why Russ is to blame for all our woes. Simple plausibility is a weak argument.

Yeah, he had nothing to do with any personnel decisions. :rolleyes:

tempCM6_6476--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=620&height=465

They're chatting about concession prices here, on draft day:

BnKgp7-IYAASZZi.jpg

Yeah, he had nothing to do with any personnel decisions. :rolleyes:

tempCM6_6476--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=620&height=465

They're chatting about concession prices here, on draft day:

BnKgp7-IYAASZZi.jpg

As the acting owner every decision needed Russ' stamp. He never interfered with who that pick should be. If Whaley told him that it needed to be done he said okay. It was a situation like any other team in the NFL but Russ was playing the role of Woody Johnson, Bob Kraft, Bob McNair, etc... None of those guys make the personnel decisions but they empower the GM. Why is this hard to understand? If you don't like giving up the extra 1st then Russ shares some blame. If you don't like Marrone or Whaley he shares some blame for sure. If you don't like a particular signing or player and blame him you are an idiot.

Officially, Russ no longer has anything to do with football decisions. Unofficially, he's making some bold statements and publicly supporting the people he hired. So the question is whether or not Russ can stay in his lane and only handle team financial matters.

From afar, it seems like Russ isn't ready to let go of the power he held as quasi-owner. The Pegula's have to determine whether the previous lead guy for the team (who hired other high ranking people in non-football roles) won't divide the organization.

I agree 100% with everything in this statement.

Russ has been a middle manager, the head of Marketing, The GM, and the President and CEO. His fingerprint is literally EVERYWHERE on this organization. The Pegulas publicly stated that the Business side and the Football side are now mutually exclusive. Brandon has been in the war room for the last decade on draft day and has been intimately involved in Football related matters and front office personnel. My opinion of him based on what he puts out there publicly is that he is a power-hungry individual.

Your marketing guy should e locked out of the draft room.

Or maybe he's not just a marketing guy.

RB was acting GM when they drafted Maybin, the worst first round draft pick in league history.

Coincidence? I think not!!

People want to deny that has an influence, but there he is front and center INFLUENCINg the draft. The sooner he is gone the better